SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Kid has major league high draft choice written all over him. I would say the chances of him seeing the field for the Big Red are well under 50%. Big bucks right out of HS will be hard to turn down knowing the chances of never being worth as much if an injury were to occur.

so how does the conversation go?? i mean with the coaches? i just wonder...... he seemed pretty high on watson.. i'm sure they kinda musta did they? ask him about the MLB.....

The only reason he'll go to the MLB is BIG $$$$$$$$$$ but he said that he wouldn't go thru this whole stressfull college visits and picking the right school for him and that he wants to play QB at a Division 1 school and said that he doesn't want to let down Nebraska like Carl Crawford.

The coaches, the baseball stadium, the tradition of the football program and being close to home is what won it for Bubba

Kid has major league high draft choice written all over him. I would say the chances of him seeing the field for the Big Red are well under 50%. Big bucks right out of HS will be hard to turn down knowing the chances of never being worth as much if an injury were to occur.

Yeah. That 18k a year gig as a minor league ball player is tough for anyone to turn down.

Yeah. That 18k a year gig as a minor league ball player is tough for anyone to turn down.

It's all about the signing bonus

I will say this... there was a pitcher that went to my high school in Texas who threw a 96mph fast ball, during the season there was an average of 10-15 scouts at each of his home games... the kid got drafted high with the Oakland A's... and was offered a $700,000 signing bonus... he took it. Now he plays in the minors "A" and makes 18-25k a year.

What's hard for these high school kids is turning down the $700,000... but what they don't see is that after that $700,000 (if that) IF they don't get injured a lot of them make less than 25k the rest of their lives... IF they get injured, what do they have to fall back on with no education? Yeah they have the $700,000 but most 18 year olds blow a lot of that money and fail to invest it... even if they do invest it, a one time $700,000 is not enough to live a lifetime on...

Bubba is said to throw about 94-95mph now and is projected to throw up to 97mph... I don't see him getting much more than a $700,000 signing bonus... with this said, do you follow your dreams, take the once in a lifetime chance and hope you make it? Or do you pass it up, get an education and hope you get other opportunities? It's a tough choice for an 18 year old.

I will say this... there was a pitcher that went to my high school in Texas who threw a 96mph fast ball, during the season there was an average of 10-15 scouts at each of his home games... the kid got drafted high with the Oakland A's... and was offered a $700,000 signing bonus... he took it. Now he plays in the minors "A" and makes 18-25k a year.

What's hard for these high school kids is turning down the $700,000... but what they don't see is that after that $700,000 (if that) IF they don't get injured a lot of them make less than 25k the rest of their lives... IF they get injured, what do they have to fall back on with no education? Yeah they have the $700,000 but most 18 year olds blow a lot of that money and fail to invest it... even if they do invest it, a one time $700,000 is not enough to live a lifetime on...

Bubba is said to throw about 94-95mph now and is projected to throw up to 97mph... I don't see him getting much more than a $700,000 signing bonus... with this said, do you follow your dreams, take the once in a lifetime chance and hope you make it? Or do you pass it up, get an education and hope you get other opportunities? It's a tough choice for an 18 year old.

I know the AA manager of the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (doubleA affilite of the KC Royals) personally. He said that most kids will negoiate with Big League clubs and say "I will only sign if you put in my contract that you will pay for my college education if this doesnt work out." If they are drafted high enough, the big league GM will say fine.