QB Darian Godfrey

Nexus

Apparently Godfrey's a solid student. At least this partly answers the question of whether he's an academic risk or not.

Class 3A: Darian Godfrey, Senior, Quarterback, Gilmer HS

His teammates and coaches affectionately call Darian Godfrey, "Stump." But there's nothing short about his football skills. The dual-threat senior QB, with a cannon for an arm, makes plays all over the field, guiding the Buckeyes to the top of the 3A polls. His latest virtuoso performance came last week against 4A Kilgore. Darian hit an astounding 21-of-24 passes for 360 yards and four scores (70, 62, 4, and 6) in Gilmer's 70-27 shellacking of the Bulldogs.

Darian, an active member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, carries a solid B average, which has attracted the interest of such D-I schools as Kansas State and Tulsa.

"Beyond his athleticism and the other intangibles he brings to the team, Darian possesses great leadership skills," says Coach Jeff Traylor. "And he's just as solid off the field. His teammates respect him because of his work ethic and they always follow his lead."

Darian Godfrey POTW

Great news.....glad to see it shot down that rumor that his might not be academically qualified.

He still has to have the correct core classes and a high enough ACT score, not saying he doesn't, but a B average doesn't qualify him alone.

True. Hence my reason for saying:

At least this partly answers the question of whether he's an academic risk or not.

Fajardo will be coming to NU for a visit. Spoke with someone that spoke directly to him. Date still up in the air. NU offense next season is a perfect fit for the offense they run at his school. Servite runs the same up tempo offense as Oregon.

Most interest to date is still from SJS and Nevada. UNLV and SJS with only offers, per Rivals.

Fajardo has visits to SJS (1/15), UNLV (1/22), open on (1/30). If we haven't settled our QB situation, I would say he comes in (1/29 or 1/30).

Hmmmmmmmmmm Does this person perhaps make a living in the salt-water aquarium maintenance business?

Seriously though, how great can fajardo be when the best programs that want him are Central Michigan and Wisconsin? Godfrey's list of interested parties is considerably better, imo.

I vote for Godfrey, and i would rather that the purple combovers didn't get him.

I think the Fajardos only have guppies in fresh water, so no salt water tank. I think the visit with Fajardo was a plan 4 or 5 if Carnes, Godfrey, Colter didn't pan out. I don't think he has the big flashy numbers of some of the recruits but he did QB the no 8 team in the nation(maxpreps) and beat some of the best teams in California. I don't support him the pick for a scolly, I was only reporting that a visit happened at his school with Bo and Carl.

Darian Godfrey is listed at visiting New Mexico this weekend. It is not listed on Rivals as a visit but it is listed on New Mexico's board on Scout.

Q&A with Stump from the Sunday newspaper in Longview, TX.

Stump Q&A

This is some pretty impressive stuff!!!!

ALL-EAST TEXAS FOOTBALL

The full list: Check out who got what and how they looked.

MORE AT NEWS-JOURNAL.COM

BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR INBOX: Click here to sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts. It's free.

PHOTOS AND VIDEO: Click here to check out our multimedia page.

SUBMIT YOUR OWN: Upload your photos on our photo-sharing site -- SeeYa.

BLOGS

Talk of East Texas: Aldridge reaches 900 wins

BizBuzz: Eastman acquires plant in China

Sideline View: Slick Rick’s NFL Picks - Divisional Playoff Round

SPORTS

The moment my opinion on steroids changed

2009 ALL-EAST TEXAS FOOTBALL TEAM

More sports

The season produced spectacular team and individual performances from all classifications, and the challenge of selecting a few players from a rich East Texas talent pool to produce the annual All-East Texas Football Team was a daunting one.

The Longview News-Journal's sports staff accepted the challenge, and heading up the list are coach of the year Robert Manley of Pittsburg, offensive MVP Darian ''Stump'' Godfrey of Gilmer, defensive MVP DeShun Williams of Carthage, offensive newcomer of the year Ladarius Anthony of Kilgore and defensive newcomer of the year Demarcus Brown of Henderson.

ROBERT MANLEY

The Pittsburg Pirates flew under the radar heading into the 2009 season.

Despite carving out a 7-4 playoff season in 2008 and returning several key pieces to the puzzle on both sides of the ball, the Pirates weren't even picked to win their own district when the preseason polls were released.

Pittsburg, under veteran head coach Robert Manley, opened the season with a 21-3 win over Jefferson and then reeled off impressive victories over Winnsboro, Princeton and Queen City before suffering a 43-33 loss to Class 4A Lindale to close out the non-district portion of the schedule.

The Pirates then caught fire, scoring at least 31 points in wins over District 16-3A rivals Atlanta, New Boston, Liberty-Eylau, Mount Vernon and Pleasant Grove. Liberty-Eylau at No. 12 and Pleasant Grove at No. 24 were both ranked in the initial preseason Top 25 poll by Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine.

Pittsburg defeated Quinlan Ford and Kennedale in the playoffs before meeting district foe Pleasant Grove again and defeating the Hawks 55-34.

The season ended with a 27-20 setback to Graham, but the Pirates were 12-2 and Manley ran his career record to 84-38.

Manley's son, Mitch, will return at quarterback in 2010 after passing for 4,070 yards and 36 touchdowns the past two seasons.

DARIAN GODFREY

Godfrey beat teams with his legs and his arms in 2009, rushing for 848 yards and 22 touchdowns and passing for 3,581 yards with 42 touchdowns and six interceptions in leading the Buckeyes to a state championship.

In week four of the season, Godfrey earned statewide recognition when he was named the Built Ford Tough Class 3A Player of the Week after passing for 384 yards and four touchdowns and adding three rushing scores in a win over Kilgore.

His signature wins, however, came in the final two games of the season.

In the Class 3A Division I state semifinals against Cuero, Godfrey rushed for 149 yards and five touchdowns. His fifth rushing score of the night came on a 68-yard sprint after Cuero had taken a 36-34 lead with 3:41 to play. Godfrey's touchdown run gave the Buckeyes a 40-36 lead, but he capped the evening in spectacular fashion when he leaped over the Gobbler defense and did a complete flip into the end zone for the two-point conversion and a 42-36 Gilmer win.

A week later in the state title game against Abilene Wylie \— a 43-26 Buckeye win \— Godfrey passed for 273 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 149 yards and two more scores to cap his high school career and bring the championship hardware back to Gilmer.

DESHUN WILLIAMS

Godfrey's visit to NU on 1/29 is confirmed.

LINK

Godfrey's still denying having anything "officially" set up, per Rivals staff. He (writer) said he thinks he's denying it because the visit may not happen depending on Carnes' visit the prior weekend.

Per New Mexico's site on Scout. He is visiting New Mexico this weekend.

Lets say we lose cooper, would we ever take Carnes and Godfrey???

I am sure not, but if we have depth concerns and we think either can help us out now...

I know, 2% chance, but who knows.

Doubt it. At this point, Carnes doesn't look like a sure thing anymore. See my post about his latest visit to USF here.