Inspirational Huskers

Nexus

Pretty simple. Just name some Husker players or staff that were inspiring. Feel free to share why you think these particular Huskers are inspiring. There is no right or wrong answer here. Just want to see what people come up with. I'll start it off with a couple of obvious choices.

Kenny Walker - The first deaf football player to don the Scarlet & Cream uniform at Nebraska. He was not only a beast on the football field, but also an exemplary citizen as well. The last I heard, Kenny & his wife laid some roots in Council Bluffs, Iowa where he was teaching and coaching at the Iowa School for the Deaf. If you haven't already, I recommend reading his autobiography Roar Of Silence: The Kenny Walker Story.

Brook Berringer - What more can you say about Brook that hasn't already been said by Coach Osborne, Brown and numerous others? His unforgettable 1994 season will forever live on in Husker lore. His impact was felt outside of Nebraska as told by Coach Brown. He received letters from people way up in the Northeast. A future NFL football star was influenced by Mr. Berringer's demeanor when he met him as a young kid. He came away from that experience wearing the #18 jersey in honor of Berringer at every level of football from Jr. High to the Pro's. Kyle Orton is his name.

Kenny Walker was definitely the first person that came to mind when I read the topic.

Tommie Frazier coming back from the blood clots to lead the best college football team of all time in 95'.

Barry Turner inspired me this year. I was very critical of him initially when he came back from injury because I just didn't think he had it anymore, but I'm so glad he proved me wrong. I think he had an outstanding season this year.

I've always found Ricky Thenerse's story to be inspiring. I hope he gets to play for us next year. Either way I'm glad that he found a way out of LA and the violence there.

Yeah I wasn't around (aware) when some of those other great players were around, but I came across a youtube video on Ricky and WOW!!!! Good for him.

Of course we will all think of Kenny Walker. I live in Glenwood, Iowa (about 20 min from Council Bluffs/Iowa School for the Deaf) and there is a little 'gem/hole in the wall' restaurant called "The Oasis". Kenny can be seen there every once in awhile having dinner. (I think his wife/girlfriend worked there part time, but doesn't any more so don't see him as much).

The restaurant has some of his drawings/paintings that he has done (evidently a hobby?) and they did a corner of the bar in Nebraska colors/gear for him.

**Also when I say hole in the wall...it's not a dump...it's one of those little places nobody knows about, but they have maybe the best prime rib dinner on Friday nights...Queen cuts for $15 and King cuts for $19 with salad, potato, bread. MMMmmmm.....maybe next week!!!! Come check it out and see if you can spot Kenny!

Also, I think of guys like Matt Turman and others that were just born and raised Huskers that probably could have had a better shot at playing at a smaller D-1 school or 1-AA (or whatever the hell they call it now) but walked on...took their licks...just to be a part of the program they grew up watching with their dads and grandpas. Some of them...including Matt...got a chance to shine.

My point...all of the Walk-Ons through the programs history, especially those who stuck it out for all 4-5 years should be admired!

Of course we will all think of Kenny Walker. I live in Glenwood, Iowa (about 20 min from Council Bluffs/Iowa School for the Deaf) and there is a little 'gem/hole in the wall' restaurant called "The Oasis". Kenny can be seen there every once in awhile having dinner. (I think his wife/girlfriend worked there part time, but doesn't any more so don't see him as much).

The restaurant has some of his drawings/paintings that he has done (evidently a hobby?) and they did a corner of the bar in Nebraska colors/gear for him.

**Also when I say hole in the wall...it's not a dump...it's one of those little places nobody knows about, but they have maybe the best prime rib dinner on Friday nights...Queen cuts for $15 and King cuts for $19 with salad, potato, bread. MMMmmmm.....maybe next week!!!! Come check it out and see if you can spot Kenny!

I haven't heard Kenny's name mentioned around the program in a very long time Does anyone know if he's still interested in the program or if the program has reached out to him?

I haven't heard Kenny's name mentioned around the program in a very long time Does anyone know if he's still interested in the program or if the program has reached out to him?

I'm sure they have, but I'm willing to bet teaching, coaching, and his family (wife, 2 kids) fills up quite a bit of his time.

Brook Berringer - What more can you say about Brook that hasn't already been said by Coach Osborne, Brown and numerous others? His unforgettable 1994 season will forever live on in Husker lore. His impact was felt outside of Nebraska as told by Coach Brown. He received letters from people way up in the Northeast. A future NFL football star was influenced by Mr. Berringer's demeanor when he met him as a young kid. He came away from that experience wearing the #18 jersey in honor of Berringer at every level of football from Jr. High to the Pro's. Kyle Orton is his name.

I sat here and was going to pen some words about Brook, but nothing I could write would do him justice. I miss him to this very day and will always wear an av in #18's memory.

I sat here and was going to pen some words about Brook, but nothing I could write would do him justice. I miss him to this very day and will always wear an av in #18's memory.

As long as I live, there are 3 things that come to mind when, "where were you when you first heard ......?". 1. 911, 2. When Derrick Thomas died, 3. When Brooke Berringer crashed. I can give you the specific date, time and location on these three things that happened in my life. Of course there are more, but these for obvious reasons, stand out the most.

As long as I live, there are 3 things that come to mind when, "where were you when you first heard ......?". 1. 911, 2. When Derrick Thomas died, 3. When Brooke Berringer crashed. I can give you the specific date, time and location on these three things that happened in my life. Of course there are more, but these for obvious reasons, stand out the most.

I'm sure they have, but I'm willing to bet teaching, coaching, and his family (wife, 2 kids) fills up quite a bit of his time.

I believe he was honored at a game last year (possibly the Baylor game). not sure specifically why, but im pretty sure he was.