2011 Recruiting Board

EZ-E

There is a lot of buzz around this class so I thought I would break it down a bit. I have to site Caveman as I used an earlier post from him to conclude that we have 21 spots open.

We already have 3 members of this class in Moore, Reeves and Joshua Mitchell (greyshirt)

QB- Take two QBs that are very athletic. If one doesnt pan out you throw him at WR like Meier from KU.

RB-take two

WR-take two (we are well stocked with young guys here)

OL-can always use more no pun intended. I would anticipate us taking 4 in this class.

DL-take 4

LB-take 2-3

DB-take 3-4

Cant tell you what you should do with the rest. Save them for next year as 2012 seems to be another scholarship crunching year.

Prospects

QB- Jamal Turner, Cameron Coffman.

(turner is all but ours) Coffman is a Missouri kid and MU has a QB for this class. See if you can get him.

RB-Many people know about A. Green, but many people dont mention Dagan Reed who is Kyler's little brother and is also a very quality back.

WR-Miles Onyegule, Evan Spencer

OL-Moore and Reeves are already committed and are very highly ranked. Christian Westerman is another big time player we are in on. Jacod Welter is another kid who is attracting some attention as well. Welter has Husker ties as well.

DT- Kevin Williams-we are his first offer

-Kenny Mack-is said to be at Fort Scott just itching to get up here

-Kyrian Batiste-same HS as Donovan Vestal of this years class

DE- Dan Tapko is a name that you will hear. OU offered after we did.

-Brennan Scarlett-Portland kid. We all have grown to love us some Portland DLineman

-Dylan Wynn-no husker offer yet but he also has husker ties

-Jermaurio Rasco-Louisiana kid

DB- Franklin Shannon-goes to a very big HS in Dallas, we are in on him very early.

-Daniel Davie-Beatrice, Nebraska kid. Good measurables and athletic ability

-Quentin Sargent- Same HS as Donovan Vestal in this years class

-Jalen Brown-we are his first offer

-Daren Kitchen-we are his first offer-Lousianna kid

-Josh Turner-Big time offers list, that one will be a battle

LB- Andrew Lewis-same HS as Joshua Mitchell

-Boomer Mays-took an unofficial on a game day

-Anthony Wallace-Big time offer list, this one will be a clash of the titans

-Cole Fisher-Seans Brother, Iowa offered

-Nic Ornelas-We are his first offer

-Trevan Randle-Big time offers list

Athletes

-Hakeem Flowers-big time athlete-another heavy hitters battle

-Jabriel Washington-same as Flowers

-Troy Niklas

Not all have offers yet, but the majority of the ones listed do.

Disagree on the QBs EZ-E. If we keep up this trend of putting athletes at QB, we're just going to run out of capable passers. With these guys, you got potential but that goes both ways. I say this a lot but unless we're going a drastically different way with our offense (possible - wait and see, I s'pose), I think what we need are passers who can run, not runners who can pass, to play QB.

With runners who can pass, maybe we get the rare lights-out guy who turns into the next Vince Young. But more often than not you just have a guy who doesn't breathe the offense and makes erratic throws...trying to add a dimension we kinda get anyway from our backs, while taking away a dimension we can't get from any other position.

It looks like we'll get Turner in this class, but the other guy I'd like to see there is Christian Suntrup.

A good breakdown though - nice to have some names thrown out there.

What I ment by that statement about the QBs was you take two QBs who are very athletic. Not athletes that can play QB. There is a difference.

Ah, gotcha.

By all accounts though Turner is the latter. Although he gives high potential.

I havnt seen good film on turner. The stuff that I have seen is either crap in clarity or from his 10th grade year. I couldnt tell you as of now. I will say that whenever a kid throws for 2 grand on a 3-7 team in Texas 6a football that has to turn some heads.

Thanks for the list...

I love Dylan Wynn and hope we get him with his husker ties (grandfather and father both UNL grads).

And Jermauria Rasco is a BEAST!. As only a sophomore, Rasco had 149 tackles as a defensive end and 26 sacks. Plus he in not going to be qualifying risk...he has taken care it in the classroom too.

What I ment by that statement about the QBs was you take two QBs who are very athletic. Not athletes that can play QB. There is a difference.

Ah, gotcha.

By all accounts though Turner is the latter. Although he gives high potential.

I havnt seen good film on turner. The stuff that I have seen is either crap in clarity or from his 10th grade year. I couldnt tell you as of now. I will say that whenever a kid throws for 2 grand on a 3-7 team in Texas 6a football that has to turn some heads.

Good post EZ-E. Thanks for putting the 2011 class into perspective a little.

Time will tell with Turner. We should get some new video shortly. It is impressive as hell that he went for 2000 and 2000 on a bad team in the biggest league in Texas....tells me the kid makes plays, which we all know we need.

Those numbers get you 20 scholarships, if you take the high number in your range offerings in some positions. I agree with you EZ that saving spots may be tempting for the staff next year. 2012 will be TIGHT! Issue is though that if there are players out there that the staff loves and want to come to NU, I don't think they can afford to pass up talent options now in favor of future prospects. It will be telling this time next year when the class is close to full if we are still talking prospects like Cooper, Owa, Simek, Carnes, etc. or if it is fairly quiet.

As for your numbers, I agree with most of them. I don't think they take more than 2 LB's though. I think they take 4-5 on the D-Line, need to fill both Tackle and End spots so you almost have to look at those as separate recruiting priorities.

Thanks for the list...

I love Dylan Wynn and hope we get him with his husker ties (grandfather and father both UNL grads).

And Jermauria Rasco is a BEAST!. As only a sophomore, Rasco had 149 tackles as a defensive end and 26 sacks. Plus he in not going to be qualifying risk...he has taken care it in the classroom too.

I believe Wynn is also Todd Peterson's cousin.

Those numbers get you 20 scholarships, if you take the high number in your range offerings in some positions. I agree with you EZ that saving spots may be tempting for the staff next year. 2012 will be TIGHT! Issue is though that if there are players out there that the staff loves and want to come to NU, I don't think they can afford to pass up talent options now in favor of future prospects. It will be telling this time next year when the class is close to full if we are still talking prospects like Cooper, Owa, Simek, Carnes, etc. or if it is fairly quiet.

As for your numbers, I agree with most of them. I don't think they take more than 2 LB's though. I think they take 4-5 on the D-Line, need to fill both Tackle and End spots so you almost have to look at those as separate recruiting priorities.

I dont know if we will take that many DL in last years class because we took quite a few this year.

As for LBs you are probably right. We dont play any 4-3 hardly ever anymore so there is no need to take more than 2 LBs in a class. I think Boomer Mays is a good bet on to be one of those LBs. But the kid is from Kansas. Dont count Turner out of it.

For DBs I think that the first five are all very good possibilities.

DTs-I think that we get Kevin Williams out of Big 10 country which will be huge. We were his first offer.

EZ, I don't see how the staff can afford NOT to take 2 DE's and 2 DT's, and maybe 3 at one or the other position. Looking at the Roster it appears that 6 players at each position to fill 2 spots is ideal, see below.

-2009 Season

DE (6 Players)

Harvey, David / Sr.

Turner, Barry / Sr.

Allen, Pierre / Jr.

Meredith, Cameron / RFr.

Williams, Josh / RFr.

Ankrah, Jason / Fr.

DT (6 Players)

Suh, Ndamukong / Sr.

Crick, Jared / So.

Moore, Terrence / So.

Steinkuhler, Baker / RFr.

Randle, Thaddeus / Fr.

Pensick, Cole / Fr.

Next Year I think the Rosters at DE and DT may look like this, I don't count Cotton because I am not convinced he won't end up on the O-Line:

-2010 Season

DE (7 Players)

Allen, Pierre / Sr.

Meredith, Cameron / RSo.

Williams, Josh / RSo.

Ankrah, Jason / RFr.

Walker Ashburn / Fr.

Tobi Okuyemi / Fr.

Donovan Vestal / Fr.

DT (7 Players)

Crick, Jared / Jr..

Moore, Terrence / Jr.

Steinkuhler, Baker / RSo.

Randle, Thaddeus / RFr.

Pensick, Cole / RFr.

Jay Guy / Fr.

Chase Rome / Fr.

For 2011 the Rosters at DE and DT may look like this, I am guessing Crick goes pro (This doesn't include any 2011 recruits:

-2011 Season

DE (6 Players)

Meredith, Cameron / RJr.

Williams, Josh / RJr.

Ankrah, Jason / RSo.

Walker Ashburn / RFr.

Tobi Okuyemi / RFr.

Donovan Vestal / RFr.

DT (6 Players)

Moore, Terrence / Sr.

Steinkuhler, Baker / RJr.

Randle, Thaddeus / RSo.

Pensick, Cole / RSo.

Jay Guy / RFr.

Chase Rome / RFr.

2011 looks to have 6 players per position, not including any incoming recruits. However since recruiting fills needs 2-3 years down the line, the most important years to look at for 2011 recruiting focus is the 2013 chart. Below lists what players on the current roster will be available in 2012 and 2013, this assumes ZERO attrition via injury and/or departures which I think we all know is unrealistic.

-2012 Season

DE (6 Players)

Meredith, Cameron / RSr.

Williams, Josh / RSr.

Ankrah, Jason / RJr.

Walker Ashburn / RSo.

Tobi Okuyemi / RSo.

Donovan Vestal / RSo.

DT (5 Players)

Steinkuhler, Baker / RSr.

Randle, Thaddeus / RJr.

Pensick, Cole / RJr.

Jay Guy / RSo.

Chase Rome / RSo.

-2013 Season

DE (4 Players)

Ankrah, Jason / RSr.

Walker Ashburn / RJr.

Tobi Okuyemi / RJr.

Donovan Vestal / RJr.

DT (4 Players)

Randle, Thaddeus / RSr.

Pensick, Cole / RSr.

Jay Guy / RJr.

Chase Rome / RJr.

The 2013 list shows only 4 players per position, and this doesn't even account for any attrition. Considering that the 2011 class is to fill the needs in 2013-2015, I think the staff takes 4-5 players on the D-Line in 2011.