Split

EZ-E

On the topic of Green, robsker, I would definitely qualify him as dual-threat because running is what he does and he does it a lot better than throwing.

Lee, meanwhile, is a trained pocket passer who also has the speed and athleticism to take off and hurt you with his feet.

Green is probably the more instinctive runner, but he isn't fast and shifty Jamal Lord, that's for sure. If he were a tailback he would be a short yardage type and not the home run hitter.

On the topic of Green, robsker, I would definitely qualify him as dual-threat because running is what he does and he does it a lot better than throwing.

Lee, meanwhile, is a trained pocket passer who also has the speed and athleticism to take off and hurt you with his feet.

Green is probably the more instinctive runner, but he isn't fast and shifty Jamal Lord, that's for sure. If he were a tailback he would be a short yardage type and not the home run hitter.

Zoogie and Fuzzy: I am not certain but didn't Green have only a couple hundred yards rushing his senior year in HS? I am not certain that I am correct in this but I thought I remembered when he was being recruited that even his HS rushing numbers were rather minimal. I could be wrong though. In fact, again correct me if I am wrong, but at l4east initially, Green was not listed as dual threat in the recruiting boards at the beginning (he was at the end, yes). As for hitting high because he is so tall -- good point, quite true -- but still he drops like a sack of potatoes when hit. Jamal Lord was light years ahead of Green in speed, vision, moves, and following blocks. Really Lord was a beast running the ball --- really good (couldn't throw --- but run he could do). Not to be too harsh on the young man, but Cody has so far not shown that he is a threat either running or throwing. Then again he is 18 and was not given a real stage to develop his rhythm yet. Perhaps he'll get there. Hope so. Finally, Lee is not really a runner either. He does have heart though and does his best. I still contend that, at least so far, neither is a legitimate dual threat. And... really if one is completely objective... neither has shown on the D1 playing field yet that they are a threat throwing the ball or running the ball either.

I thought that Green had plenty of rushing yards, but I could be wrong. I guess my point is not so much that he's a great runner: but that he's an awful passer, mechanically. As a QB right now, he's a dual threat in the sense that the passing is not there at all, so and I don't want to call him "no threat"...

So I guess I'm saying as far as the two aspects of "dual" goes, passing isn't what Cody is all about.

With Lee, as a passer he is more polished and is able to make the throws. That doesn't necessarily translate to the field, but he has has talent throwing the ball. I mean, so did Sam Keller. I hope Lee turns out a different story next year.

I thought that Green had plenty of rushing yards, but I could be wrong. I guess my point is not so much that he's a great runner: but that he's an awful passer, mechanically. As a QB right now, he's a dual threat in the sense that the passing is not there at all, so and I don't want to call him "no threat"...

So I guess I'm saying as far as the two aspects of "dual" goes, passing isn't what Cody is all about.

With Lee, as a passer he is more polished and is able to make the throws. That doesn't necessarily translate to the field, but he has has talent throwing the ball. I mean, so did Sam Keller. I hope Lee turns out a different story next year.

220 attempts

1,543 yards

27 td

230/351 65.0%

3,226 yards

36/5 TD/INT

220 attempts

1,543 yards

27 td

230/351 65.0%

3,226 yards

36/5 TD/INT

robsker, not really where you are getting your recruiting info but Green's entire MO was that he was a dual threat QB. He was rated as the 6th best dual threat in fact. The biggest question was and still is his throwing ability. He's not Jamal Lord in terms of a runner but you should give him some time before you say he can't run at all.

Heck....wasn't his first or second play as a Husker a 46 yard run for a TD? All of CG's time in games outside of the Baylor game, have been very limited. Not to mention, SW didn't open the playbook for Cody as he didn't know the offense very well.

There have been a number of posts/forums lately just bashing some of the young kids abilities. Let's allow them some playing time before we try to run them out of the state.

with godfrey having arena football like numbers why has he not received more attention than he is now.

is there some concern that he might not qualify?

he certainly has the numbers, talent, and the fact being from texas should have

meant more attention and stars.

carnes is rated the 7th best dual threat qb, according to rivals i believe.

something just doesn't seem right about godfrey being so lowly rated.....

can anybody help me understand why?

:bang

with godfrey having arena football like numbers why has he not received more attention than he is now.

Maybe one reason why he isn't getting the attention that some think he should be getting is because his coach forgot to do his responsibility in sending out tapes to schools but I could be wrong but has been known to happen.

Also I read somewhere on this site that according to a K-State message board that Godfrey might not be academically qualified.....not sure if its true but also could be another reason why not many other schools have been going after him.

Maybe one reason why he isn't getting the attention that some think he should be getting is because his coach forgot to do his responsibility in sending out tapes to schools but I could be wrong but has been known to happen.

Not even close, Gilmer (Darian's school) has 2 kids headed to MU this year, and one headed to Okie State. The coach has been there 9 years and has put out an impressive list of players for a 3A school. Here's a list of Big 12 recruits they've churned out over the years

Class of 2009-

Tristan Holt- 4 Star- MU

Braylon Webb- 3 Star- MU

Jacob Jenkins- 3 Star- OSU

Class of 2008-

David Snow- 4 Star- Texas

Justin Johnson- 4 Star- OU

Lamar Harris- 4 Star- OU

Daniel Jenkins- 3 Star- MU

Class of 2007-

Curtis Brown- 5 Star- Texas (#21 overall recruit)

G.J. Kinne- 3 Star- Texas

Other notable-

Manuel Johnson- 2005- 4 Star- OU

Not even close, Gilmer (Darian's school) has 2 kids headed to MU this year, and one headed to Okie State. The coach has been there 9 years and has put out an impressive list of players for a 3A school. Here's a list of Big 12 recruits they've churned out over the years

Class of 2009-

Tristan Holt- 4 Star- MU

Braylon Webb- 3 Star- MU

Jacob Jenkins- 3 Star- OSU

Class of 2008-

David Snow- 4 Star- Texas

Justin Johnson- 4 Star- OU

Lamar Harris- 4 Star- OU

Daniel Jenkins- 3 Star- MU

Class of 2007-

Curtis Brown- 5 Star- Texas (#21 overall recruit)

G.J. Kinne- 3 Star- Texas

Other notable-

Manuel Johnson- 2005- 4 Star- OU

Good post and way to debunk my theory

There are a lot of speculation and what if's being thrown around regarding Carnes and Godfrey, but my biggest question still remains. Why exactly is Godfrey ranked so much lower than Carnes?

I know his delaying recruitment might not have helped, and there has been some questions about him not qualifying, but that question gets thrown around all the time in recruiting and usually don't impact a players star rating. The fact that Godfrey plays 3A in TX you would imagine a lot of eyes have seen this kid in the last few years, so there must be other concerns. It can't be his highlights, because IMO his tapes look excellent. My only guess would be that it's the plays he didn't make that may be holding him back. Maybe some questionable decisions, or inconsistent passes that didn't make the reel?

I'm not sure, but I do think Carnes and Godfrey are both talented QBs who will need time in the system (whichever one Watts finally settles on) before they have any real impact on the field. The potential may be there but only time will tell.

There are a lot of speculation and what if's being thrown around regarding Carnes and Godfrey, but my biggest question still remains. Why exactly is Godfrey ranked so much lower than Carnes?

I know his delaying recruitment might not have helped, and there has been some questions about him not qualifying, but that question gets thrown around all the time in recruiting. The fact that Godfrey plays 3A in TX you would imagine a lot of eyes have seen this kid in the last few years, so there must be other concerns. It can't be his highlights, because IMO his tapes look excellent. My only guess would be that it's the plays he didn't make that may be holding him back. Maybe some questionable decisions, or inconsistent passes that didn't make the reel?

I'm not sure, but I do think Carnes and Godfrey are both talented QBs who will need time in the system (whichever one Watts finally settles on) before they have any real impact on the field. The potential may be there but only time will tell.

An article from the local newspaper in Gilmer, TX said that Godfrey is a solid "B" student. Assuming he didn't brick on his ACT/SAT's as well as completing the core requirements at his HS, he should be fine.

FWIW, ESPN Scouts, Inc. ranks Godfrey as an ATH @ 78 ( :star :star :star ) while they rank Carnes as a QB @ 77 ( :star :star :star ).

As for why the lack of interest from more schools? It's tough to say. I think when he delayed recruiting, it hampered a lot of communication between himself and potential schools. The rest is left to our imagination. But it is perplexing nonetheless.

I also think wherever he ends up, he'll have room to grow and improve under the right coaches. If his work ethic is consistent with the accolades his HS coach heaps on him, then that'll be a bonus to his development at the college level. I wish the young man luck, wherever that may be.