College Football Chat with Tom Dienhart (1/18/10)

When asked during the chat who had for his top 5 for next year. He gave up some Husker love!!!

All five are legit and all 5 could play in the NC Game.

[Comment From damion ]

who is your top 5 teams for 2010?

12:27

Tom Dienhart:

1. Bama

2. Ohio State

3. Oregon

4. Boise

5. Nebraska

also watch: USC, TCU, Texas, Iowa, Wisco, VPI, UF

My prediction is close to the top 10 and if we beat Texas, we are top 5 for sure at that point.

I will take Bo in the Big 12 Championship game against Brown and Stoops and if we run the table, it would be hard to keep us out of the NC Game.

• Fire 2

I agree that Bo has the upperhand over Stoops & Brown because his defensive schemes are designed to dominate their offensive systems. However, the OU & Texas defenses hold the upperhand on our offense. You ask me, I'd say OU & Tex, both of which are known for reloading (rather than rebuilding), have a slight advantage if our offense doesn't improve like we all think it should. "Improvement" against these defenses would be scoring 20+ vs each, as opposed to scoring 22 combined.

Don't get me wrong. I think we are more than capable of beating either of these teams and any other team in the country. I like Tom's prediction (& relish the mere thought of NU returning to glory). And I think if any coach can get the Huskers back to the top 5 this season, it's Bo. BUT, the offensive & defensive pieces must fall into place on a consistent week-by-week basis, not just here and there. The best teams gel and dominant against every team, and we have a long way to go before that happens.

When asked during the chat who had for his top 5 for next year. He gave up some Husker love!!!

All five are legit and all 5 could play in the NC Game.

[Comment From damion ]

who is your top 5 teams for 2010?

12:27

Tom Dienhart:

1. Bama

2. Ohio State

3. Oregon

4. Boise

5. Nebraska

also watch: USC, TCU, Texas, Iowa, Wisco, VPI, UF

My prediction is close to the top 10 and if we beat Texas, we are top 5 for sure at that point.

I will take Bo in the Big 12 Championship game against Brown and Stoops and if we run the table, it would be hard to keep us out of the NC Game.

Who the heck is VPI?

# 5 is a little high for us, right now. Our offense needs to prove itself before we can call ourselves a top 10 program.

Well this is why the pre-season polls are just absolutely useless, as well as polls in general.

Our defense will be good enough to win us a championship next year. The offense has the potential to do so, but I still see us biffing a game because our offense keeps giving up presents to opposing teams all day.

considering that this guy isnt the only guy (not nearly) in the country predicting us at around #5 and the fact that i would not be scared to match the skers up with any of the teams ahead of us i would say that #5 is about right....

Agreed, we can match up with any team in the country. However, we need to learn to BEAT them as well. We matched up well against Va. Tech and Texas, we didn't win though. The bowl game gave hope, but until we play that way week in and week out, I'm not quite ready to buy in to a top 5 spot. (Although I really, really want to)

considering that this guy isnt the only guy (not nearly) in the country predicting us at around #5 and the fact that i would not be scared to match the skers up with any of the teams ahead of us i would say that #5 is about right....

Agreed, we can match up with any team in the country. However, we need to learn to BEAT them as well. We matched up well against Va. Tech and Texas, we didn't win though. The bowl game gave hope, but until we play that way week in and week out, I'm not quite ready to buy in to a top 5 spot. (Although I really, really want to)

We know how to beat'em. One touchdown, can we get just one touchdown, just one damn touchdown damn it. :bang