Spring Game

The 2010 Spring Game is just around the corner. Tickets for the April 17th event go on sale on February 3rd. Once again college football fans are left with a 7 month void until next August, with spring games offering the only relief for withdraws. I’m sure Nebraska fans will come from every corner of Husker Nation to see what next year brings for our 2010 lineup. Year after year fans pour into Memorial Stadium in springtime just to get a glance of the year to come. Lets see if we can get back that #1 spot.

I put together some stats below. They show the approximate numbers from the spring games of some of the most tradition enriched schools between 2006 and 2009. It also shows the team’s preseason rank according to the Coaches Poll if in the Top 25. I just wanted to see if there was a correlation between the two. Bear in mind I think we were ranked 46th preseason in 2008 and we had the largest attendance.

springgameatncustom.jpg

springgamechart.jpg

• Fire 1

Nebraska has the highest average percentage of capacity of these teams over the past four years:

Team	        Capacity	   AVG	 Empty	% of Cap
Nebraska	  81,067	67,275	13,792	    .830
Alabama	          92,138	73,575	18,563	    .799
Ohio St.	 102,329	77,575	24,754	    .758
Florida	          88,548	54,675	36,041	    .617
Penn State	 107,282	59,375	47,907	    .553
Notre Dame	  80,795	38,575	42,220	    .477
Texas	         100,119	42,675	51,438	    .426

Ohio State and Alabama beat us for actual butts in seats, but we do a better job of realizing our potential. And we have over the past umpteen years - this isn't new for Nebraska, while I don't recall hearing much about Spring attendance from anyone else across the country until recently.

Edited by knapplc
Corrected a couple of capacity errors

Nice post! Would be nice to see an average ticket price next to the figures too - anyone have any info on that?

Alabama/Ohio might be beating us with the highest number of fans in the seats, but if I recall correctly, Alabama had free admission...

:yeah

I think we are one of the few to charge admission . . . and our attendance numbers are more accurate because of that. Most schools do an estimate . . . with a lot of wiggle room.