Who Is Our Biggest Non-Conference Rival?

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got to thinking about this the other day. I think the team that most gets my blood boiling when thinking about a chance to get a shot at them is Miami. It probably comes from the glory days and the battles we had agianst them in the Orange Bowl.

I really don't know if you can classify who Nebraska's biggest non-conference "rival" is because the non-con schedule is always changing. I will say though, I cann't wait to to have Miami come to Lincoln in 2014 koolaid2.gif

In terms of opportunity to make a statement, I think it would have to be the USC series from 06 & 07.

Interesting. Fact - We've played the most non-conference games against Minnesota, trailing the series 20-29-2. They were a good rival for a long time, but we haven't played them in 20 years, and they pretty much suck these days anyway.

I could go with a lot of traditional powers: Miami, FSU, Penn State, USC even Alabama. I voted "other" but maybe it is Penn State. We've played them 13 times, we're 6-7 all time and we've played them within the last 10 years. That would be a good series to play again, even for several years. How about a "neutral" game against them someplace like Chicago? chuckleshuffle

Good call adding Penn State. They were my 2nd choice behind what is quickly becoming the popular pick - the Canes. Two huge factors led to my choice. 1) they've owned us in the big games (minus '94 title) and 2) they knew they owned us & were cocky as hell b/c of it. I frickin hate them for that! :steam

In retrospect, I guess this was much more an emotional vote than anything else. Either way, I can't wait for 2014 :bonez

Interesting. Fact - We've played the most non-conference games against Minnesota, trailing the series 20-29-2. They were a good rival for a long time, but we haven't played them in 20 years, and they pretty much suck these days anyway.

I did not know that. My only memory of playing the Golden Gophers was that debacle of a game in 1983 when we could only travel 60 guys, and our backups were winded by halftime.

I did not know that. My only memory of playing the Golden Gophers was that debacle of a game in 1983 when we could only travel 60 guys, and our backups were winded by halftime.

Yeah, I think that 83 game was the death knell of the series. We only played 3 times after that (combined score of those 3 games was 142-7). I loved the score by quarters in 83: 21,21,21,21 :corndance

It is pretty hard to decide who the biggest non-conference rival could be...almost impossible. The three florida schools would all be good choices, I don't see USC as one so much, the fun one would be Virginia Tech, since they have some pretty good fans over there. But I am going to go out on a limb here, and say Wyoming, they need a good quality rival, it would be nice to see that be an annual event.

Here's two more teams that should be entered into this discussion - Notre Dame & Washington.

We have a storied history with Notre Dame dating back to 1915 (the four horsemen) and extending through our big wins with Crouch at the helm.

Believe it or not, the last two times we've had a home & home series with Washington, the winner of the 1st game in each of those series has gone on to win the National title (Washington in '91 & Nebraska in '97).

I would love to see a annual game with SC. They are the driving force in college football, and have handled us pretty easy the last two times. Great recruting tool for us. And one that seems to have respect on both sides.

I know it will never happen, but I would prefer a rival to be at the top of the pole. FSU, Miami have tumbled a lot. Alabama would be great but not the recruiting tool that SC is. Florida is up there, but I do not believe they have the National following that SC has.

I always liked the Washington games. Glad to see them back on the sched.

I'd love to see us re-awaken the Penn State series, and commit to something like a home-and-home each decade. They could even spread the games out every five years or something. 2012 we go there, 2017 they come here, etc. That would be great. Actually there are a lot of schools I'd like to see something like this with. Miami, Tennessee, USC, and maybe a wildcard like TCU. Schedules are filling out though...