The O-line will be solid in 2010

ESPY

Now hopefully I'm not knocking on wood by saying the O-line's 2009 performance is "impossible" b/c we all know injuries happen. But, based on the experience, the depth, the promise of heightened competition & the addition of a real difference-make, the O-line appears to have the pieces in place & the potential of becoming the stalwart we need.

Experience (returning contributors) - DJ Jones, Marcel Jones, Mike Smith, Mike Caputo, Ricky Henry, Keith Wiliams

Depth (incoming redshirt frosh) - Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Brent Qvale, Jeremiah Sirles

More depth - incoming OL recruits and Hardrick

Looks good to me! What do you think? Will this group become a stalwart?

• Fire 2

Now hopefully I'm not knocking on wood by saying the O-line's 2009 performance is "impossible" b/c we all know injuries happen. But, based on the experience, the depth, the promise of heightened competition & the addition of a real difference-make, the O-line appears to have the pieces in place & the potential of becoming the stalwart we need.

Experience (returning contributors) - DJ Jones, Marcel Jones, Mike Smith, Mike Caputo, Ricky Henry, Keith Wiliams

Depth (incoming redshirt frosh) - Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Brent Qvale, Jeremiah Sirles

I agree. With that they will get a good push and Helu and Rex will find those holes and hit them. Our offense will open up a little mor elike we did against Arizona is my guess. Zac Lee will be able to grow when he has time to throw. He wont be perfect but i am hoping our run game is so successful that our WR's will get man coverage and have a chance to get open more giving Lee a better chance.

All good offense's start at the O-line.

I've heard good things about Hardrick, but Sipple's article really opened my eyes to this guy. Sounds like he listens to songs like Momma Said Knock You Out when he warms up. That's a tough edge we really need around here.

I'm thinking if we have Henry and Hardrick at RG and RT that we'll have one badazz right side. Two nasty guys like that, side by side, can really spread the attitude across the whole line. Now, if one or two of the rs-frosh have some nastiness about them as well, we'll start to have the kind of line we'd all like to see again.

Heck, if we have enough guys with attitudes, maybe Williams will even show some fire. :koolaid2:

This group just needs to be consistent and learn their offensive roles. It's a common misconception among some fans that our o-line needs to get bigger and put on muscle. However, this simply just isn't the case. Our o-line last year averaged 299 pounds, while our 95 line averaged out to 289 pounds per guy. We just need consistency and an understanding of what needs to be done.

well, i would hope they can be better, but so many were injuried and few played together so honestly, i am not sure what we can expect.

but i do know this, if they stay healthy and play together, and they don't play better, there will be some changes....that much i know is for sure! the last time we were promised hope and change......well, we can see how that turned out!

I've heard good things about Hardrick, but Sipple's article really opened my eyes to this guy. Sounds like he listens to songs like Momma Said Knock You Out when he warms up. That's a tough edge we really need around here.

I'm thinking if we have Henry and Hardrick at RG and RT that we'll have one badazz right side. Two nasty guys like that, side by side, can really spread the attitude across the whole line. Now, if one or two of the rs-frosh have some nastiness about them as well, we'll start to have the kind of line we'd all like to see again.

Heck, if we have enough guys with attitudes, maybe Williams will even show some fire. :koolaid2:

Yoshi has said that the coaches have told him that he will play LT. So my guess would be that Marcel Jones would be RT unless one of the RS freshman step up.

Yoshi has said that the coaches have told him that he will play LT. So my guess would be that Marcel Jones would be RT unless one of the RS freshman step up.

You think Marcel will JUMP at that? Biggest issue I had with the O-line is the stupid, stupid, stupid penalties. Hopefully with more depth they can concentrate on the snap count, because there is someone on the bench that WILL take your spot if you can't.

[B.K. is a good person, and Yoshi is in between — he can be a good kid and he can be a bad kid,” Sims says. “It depends on his environment. But Yoshi is smart enough to know that if he chooses to go play with B.K., he'll be OK because he’ll be around good people.”

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

[B.K. is a good person, and Yoshi is in between — he can be a good kid and he can be a bad kid,” Sims says. “It depends on his environment. But Yoshi is smart enough to know that if he chooses to go play with B.K., he'll be OK because he’ll be around good people.”

Does the name Richie Incognito ring a bell?

Ok. But does Smith move to C or RT? He's always been ahead of both Joneses. I heard a whisper a couple of weeks ago about Smith being tried at C. Does Yoshi at LT make that seem more likely, you think? Or is Smith relegated to backup?

Does the name Richie Incognito ring a bell?

Yahtzee!

One thing I've learned is that tempting as it may be, naming names won't do anything.

I remember when we were gonna have a BEAST LB corps. McKeon, Ruud, Octavien, Brandenburgh, Dillard...etc. Forgot some names but it was 6 or 7 guys in all. This was '07, when we had far from a beast of a LB corps. Same with the DL that year, when we had four starters that all had a year or two of heavy playing time and were ready to evolve into beast status: Potter, Turner, Steinkuhler, and Suh. That turned out pretty poorly (for '07) too.

DJ, Mike, and Marcel have done nothing but struggle. I think the consensus on Caputo is that he'll be a pretty solid center. Henry is a mix bag of high energy potential and volatile 15-yard-penalty-maker. Williams is a veritable beast but even he got beat plenty with poor technique this year, I think.

After that, you have a bunch of redshirt freshmen - who have earned some positive press, but honestly, a TON of players earn positive press and reports. We feel good about them until the minute they step on the field on do something bad. Although if these guys do, they are still just freshmen. Which makes it okay, but it also makes it such that we are going to have to expect some youth/freshman mistakes.

Hardrick will probably be an improvement, but he's also totally new to Nebraska. Hopefully he adjusts, but right now we don't know yet. I'm just saying - when we name out names, sometimes we count the chickens before they hatch, and we tend to assume "a year's worth" of progression for current players when in reality, little progression or even regression are also possibilities.

Man....I hope your right....