The Big 3

EZ-E

The reason I started this thread was because it appears that this board very well could be on the verge of a meltdown.

I know that the Carnes incident has people shaken up. Very surprizing turn of events to be truthful. It probably makes a lot of people feel like we knew nothing. We thought we had it all figured out and then one of them commits to WKU.

What I am getting at is that Carnes committing elsewhere IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM effects anything with the other two.

I wont be posting too much on this board until Feb. 3rd. I will still read a lot of it. But I am done posting until then because no new information is going to surface right now. Everything that anyone know is already in the threads. Accept... well nevermind. ;)

The order I wanted to get the big 3 are

1. Owa

2. Cooper

3. Carnes

Since we got Turner a couple days ago I couldn't have cared less if we got Carnes.

Stopped lurking to post bc I agree with this. Lee is a senior next year, and with Green and Turner, future looks bright. Losing Carnes stings, but it's not a huge blow. He would've been great for depth purposes, but I want Owa and Cooper so much more than Carnes.

I think there's way too much certainty as to the success rate of quarterback recruits. So many people assume having a couple solid guys at quarterback guarantees that we are set for the next few years. But in reality that's rarely the case. Let's look back at the big QB recruits over the past few years, many of whom were expected to be the next __________ (Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Gill, Tagge, etc.):

2002 - Curt Dukes ( :star :star :star :star ) was supposed to be the next Scott Frost and lead us back to glory. Left the program shortly after arriving. Went on to be a mediocre backup at Duke.

2003 - Joe Dailey ( :star :star :star ) was touted as a true dual-threat. The majority of forum posters wanted him to replace Lord before Lord even left. He turned out to be, IMO, the worst Nebraska quarterback in my lifetime. Sam Keller ( :star :star :star :star ) also came from this class, although he originally went to ASU, and transferred to Nebraska. He didn't have any success at either school.

2004 - No big-hype QBs... three two star guys that included the successful Joe Ganz.

2005 - Harrison Beck ( :star :star :star:star ) was to Cally as Clausen was to Weis -- his guy, the perfect fit for the west coast offense. Harrison never much cared for the football mentality around Lincoln and left after compiling a QB rating of 7. Went on to have an average career at NC State and a decent final run at DII N. Alabama. Then there was Zac Taylor ( :star :star :star ) who helped Cally to his most successful run at Nebraska, including a North title and a bowl win.

2006 - We didn't take a QB in this class. We were all set with Beck :dumdum

2007 - Zac Lee ( :star :star :star :star ) was touted as having a true NFL arm (his dad was a moderately successful NFL QB), he was expected by many to exceed the level of play set by Ganz in 2008. To this point, he has been very mediocre against decent competition. He still has a season to write his legacy, but right now he deosn't look any better than Sam Keller. Also in this class was Patrick Witt ( :star :star :star ), who was best known for being arrested for minor in possession, disturbing the peace, trespassing and third-degree assault, and nearly fumbling away the Gator Bowl in the only important play he ever took part in. Shortly after, he left the Huskers, not being able to stand their stupidity.

funny-pictures-cat-sleeps-in-an-ironic-place.jpg

So just remember all this next time you feel like we're all set with the latest hot-shot high school quarterback. Our success rate this decade with 3 and 4-star quarterbacks isn't bad... it's absolutely horrible.

• Fire 1

I think there's way too much certainty as to the success rate of quarterback recruits. So many people assume having a couple solid guys at quarterback guarantees that we are set for the next few years. But in reality that's rarely the case. Let's look back at the big QB recruits over the past few years, many of whom were expected to be the next __________ (Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Gill, Tagge, etc.):

2002 - Curt Dukes ( :star :star :star :star ) was supposed to be the next Scott Frost and lead us back to glory. Left the program shortly after arriving. Went on to be a mediocre backup at Duke.

2003 - Joe Dailey ( :star :star :star ) was touted as a true dual-threat. The majority of forum posters wanted him to replace Lord before Lord even left. He turned out to be, IMO, the worst Nebraska quarterback in my lifetime. Sam Keller ( :star :star :star :star ) also came from this class, although he originally went to ASU, and transferred to Nebraska. He didn't have any success at either school.

2004 - No big-hype QBs... three two star guys that included the successful Joe Ganz.

2005 - Harrison Beck ( :star :star :star:star ) was to Cally as Clausen was to Weis -- his guy, the perfect fit for the west coast offense. Harrison never much cared for the football mentality around Lincoln and left after compiling a QB rating of 7. Went on to have an average career at NC State and a decent final run at DII N. Alabama. Then there was Zac Taylor ( :star :star :star ) who helped Cally to his most successful run at Nebraska, including a North title and a bowl win.

2006 - We didn't take a QB in this class. We were all set with Beck :dumdum

2007 - Zac Lee ( :star :star :star :star ) was touted as having a true NFL arm (his dad was a moderately successful NFL QB), he was expected by many to exceed the level of play set by Ganz in 2008. To this point, he has been very mediocre against decent competition. He still has a season to write his legacy, but right now he deosn't look any better than Sam Keller. Also in this class was Patrick Witt ( :star :star :star ), who was best known for being arrested for minor in possession, disturbing the peace, trespassing and third-degree assault, and nearly fumbling away the Gator Bowl in the only important play he ever took part in. Shortly after, he left the Huskers, not being able to stand their stupidity.

funny-pictures-cat-sleeps-in-an-ironic-place.jpg

So just remember all this next time you feel like we're all set with the latest hot-shot high school quarterback. Our success rate this decade with 3 and 4-star quarterbacks isn't bad... it's absolutely horrible.

I agree Jtrain. Which is why I really would like to see us land at least 1 qb this year. Maybe thats Marsh, but he will basically be like a 2011 recruit. I understand that Turner looks like a very good QB prospect, but I feel like you have to play the numbers game, because there are no sure things in CF. Take the very best qb you can, 1 a year and coach em up and pray. QB is too important of a position to be "empty handed".

Oh I think you need to take 2 QB one year and then 1 the next and rotate recruiting seasons in that way. That way you always have 6 ready to go and 1-2 red shirted. This will improve the competition and half of those QB's are guaranteed to never develop and head out of town for another school... which would give us more guys to choose from and would really weed out the mediocre QB's from the amazing QB's.