No need to panic

I have yet to see a class that Bo has signed that is as juco heavy as some of the ones that Callahan signed.

I apologize as what I said was unclear.

Bo has brought in jucos as a compliment to a class, not built his foundation on juco players.

Ah. I see.

Can it be a compliment and not a focus when half of our highest rated players are JUCOs? Serious question. Not trying to be snappy.

I think the discussion can become a matter of semantics fairly quickly. I think it's as simple as Bo seeing that we need immediate help on the O-line and at LB and so he went out and found the best JUCO OL and LB he could find to come in and compete/contribute immediately.

EZ-E, caveman99 & HuskerBruin are hitting on all cylinders with their posts. Pelini certainly targets long-term players (high school) more than Callahan. When needed, though, he's not afraid to go after those JUCOs who are best fit for this program. IMHO the way he targets recruits is quite similar to what TO did as coach, and we all know how well that worked out :koolaid2:

I have yet to see a class that Bo has signed that is as juco heavy as some of the ones that Callahan signed.

Bo has brought in jucos as a compliment to a class, not built his foundation on juco players.

Ah. I see.

Can it be a compliment and not a focus when half of our highest rated players are JUCOs? Serious question. Not trying to be snappy.

Complement vs. a focus as far as the numbers of JUCOs being brought in. Callahan brought too many of them and it created an uneven roster distribution in classes. Look at the 2012 Recruiting Class numbers, right now there are only about 12-14 spots available.

My brain must not be working correctly . . . how do JUCOs from 2007 and back result in us having fewer roster spots available in 2012? I think school and work have me fried.

It is a waterfall effect. 2007 players could redshirt and be Seniors in 2011 thus turning over spots for the class of 2012. Any JUCO's in that class take away from that number. However the bigger issue is what Callahan did prior to that. Taking a high number of JUCO's will alter the turn over rate of subsequent classes and also creates some depth issues if you continue to rely on them to heavily because they leave so quickly. The staff has to make up for those depth issues and roster issues by relying on JUCO's again, it is a vicious cycle. Bo came in and had depth issues at a lot of positions because of this. He made a decision to build depth by redshirting almost the entire class of 2008; one side issue of that hardly any of those players could be Seniors in 2011 thus allowing for a larger number of recruits in 2012. The only players that are contributing to that number are:

A. Blue

M. Caputo

J. Crick

A. Dennard

C. Gilleylen

J. Hardrick (assuming he doesn't redshirt)

R. Hill

M. Jones

B. Kinnie

M. Mendoza

T. Moore

L. David (assuming he signs and doesn't Redshirt)

Out of the 12, only potentially 4 are players Bo recruited. Instead of redshirting an entire class out of necessity, Bo could have played more of that class allowing for a bit higher number of scholarships available in 2012. The other factor as I mentioned is that Callahan wasn't good at managing the roster and brought in too many JUCOs. He brought in 6 JUCOs for 2007 alone, didn't manage Redshirts well.

:facepalm: He makes a good point. Some of teh guy ole billy brought in are not Bo's type of players, once Bo get his guys in here things will work better.

Examples, please.

I don't exactly see the problem with the JUCO's, especially since over the last few recruiting classes Callahan had were not heavy on JUCO's. So the influence they have on Bo would be absolutely nothing.

For example, the '07 class would be the first JUCO class that would carry over to Bo ..

Asante - Absolute stud for us in the middle of our defense. Must have player.

Lee - People can say what they want about Lee, but without Lee we are a .500 team at best. Far and away our best QB.

Dixon - Would have been a solid contributor for 1 year under Bo. Had off the field issues and got 'das boot. Gone.

Murillo - Starter at corner and was our top corner in '08. Was not here in '09.

Townsend - Never made it here. Ended up at UNC the last I heard.

Barfield - Never did squat except the Colorado game in '08. Guy harassed Cody Hawkins in garbage time. Was not here in '09.

Then for the '08 class ..

Henry - Starter this past year.

Hetzer - Never amounted to anything. Left and scholly opened.

So I really don't get what you mean. The JUCOs had no impact on Bo, besides playing meaningful snaps for the most part of the ones who stuck around.

JUCO recruiting at the beginning was essential to our success in '05 and '06 due to the bare cupboard left over from the previous staff. Without guys like Taylor, Octavien, Bowman, Purify, Nicks, Ola, Cryer, etc., would have left us in a horrid position in those early years.

Once talent issues and class numbers began to even, as the numbers showed, JUCOs became less needed.

So I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make?

Edited by BigWillie

I can only find the Callahan Hate Blinders in blue. Does anyone know where I can get a pair in red?

The board will be in major disappointment mode if all 3 big names go elsewhere. It is the last minute decommit on top of that that will send us into meltdown. I hope we not only don't have one of those, but pick up a surprise, plus one of the big 3. :box

Three strikes and we're out!! No Owa, Cooper, or Carnes. Once again Nebraska is just mediocre in getting the kids to put us over the top and push us to a national title. I guess we will always be dragging behind even Missouri. Yikes! That is really bad!

Hey troll go back to Missouri we will get Corey and Owa is better then 50/50

Three strikes and we're out!! No Owa, Cooper, or Carnes. Once again Nebraska is just mediocre in getting the kids to put us over the top and push us to a national title. I guess we will always be dragging behind even Missouri. Yikes! That is really bad!

Found some interesting numbers:

27 > 12

64 W > 36 W

Take heart Tigger . . . if you win the next 28 games against Nebraska you can tie the all time series. See ya in 2038 to see how it went. :)

The only thing I worry about is having a staff that is really good at knowing defense talent when they see it obviously. I'm not saying they aren't good at evaluating offense talent but I think it's safe to say coach Pelini, Carl and Papuchis for example are defensive guys. I have faith in our staff to get good offensive talent but at the same time it does cross my mind when thinking of our current recruits and potential recruits skill position wise.

The only thing I worry about is having a staff that is really good at knowing defense talent when they see it obviously. I'm not saying they aren't good at evaluating offense talent but I think it's safe to say coach Pelini, Carl and Papuchis for example are defensive guys. I have faith in our staff to get good offensive talent but at the same time it does cross my mind when thinking of our current recruits and potential recruits skill position wise.

Coach Beck will pull in some nice offensive talent in 2011. Bank on it. He's a savvy recruiter.

Coach Beck will pull in some nice offensive talent in 2011. Bank on it. He's a savvy recruiter.

:yeah

My thoughts exactly Nexus

I don't doubt Beck's savvy but call me cautiously optimistic when it comes to recruiting. I'm not banking on anything. Hopeful yes. Optimistic? Yes. Time will tell? Yes....

I don't doubt Beck's savvy but call me cautiously optimistic when it comes to recruiting. I'm not banking on anything. Hopeful yes. Optimistic? Yes. Time will tell? Yes....

That's certainly your prerogative. But I'm basing it off of what Beck has already accomplished so far.