Do white guys get discriminated against at skill positions???

When I heard O'Hanlon didn't get invited to the combine I started thinking about this...it seems like Coaches/Scouts have an idea what an ideal athlete for a certain position should be and part of that equation is color. Look at the numbers Rex put up in high school and yet he wasn't recruited very hard by Texas. I know it's not really discrimination but more like some subconscious rule, all RB's, DB's and WR's have to be black, all kickers and hockey players have to be white. I know most of the time its strictly a talent issue but sometimes i wonder...

Just bored thoughts...time to re-watch the Holiday Bowl.

I know when my brother was playing at a community college in Kansas. His coach reccomended that he play saftey instead of running back becuase quote" youre not six foot tall and black" that is just one coach but he did not consider his speed or talent made the suggestion based on hight and weight.

So it does happen but I dont believe it is a wide spread issue

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Kind of a tough subject to talk about, to be honest. I think sometimes people think it's a stereotype just because there seems to be more black players at skill positions. But to be honest, I think it just comes down to the fact that most skill position players tend to be black, and there seems to be a lot more black players at those positions.

I feel it's a little naive to believe that race doesn't play a factor in some situations, but I don't believe it's as big of a deal as some others say.

But I think I'll leave it there. Expanding on my thoughts may not be completely appropriate for a message board.

Why was Toby Gerhart only compared to other white Running Backs? He reminded me of Ron Dayne more then anybody.

O'Hanlon didn't get invited to the combine because he didn't deserve to not because he is white.

I agree with this, for the most part.

O'Hanlon was solid but I believe his body of work didn't necessarily give him a lot of looks. He didn't really come on strong till this year. If this had only been his junior year, it would have been a great senior year for him.

I envision this thread blowing up real fast.

I don't see why-it's not like there's any kind of argument. Racist or not, blacks are faster than whites and therefore occupy more of the skill positions.

If anyone really believes that this is actually disrimination needs to have their heads examined.

I envision this thread blowing up real fast.

I don't see why-it's not like there's any kind of argument. Racist or not, blacks are faster than whites and therefore occupy more of the skill positions.

If anyone really believes that this is actually disrimination needs to have their heads examined.

Here is an answer on this question from an athletic trainer. The question was: why are black people faster than white people? The answer...

Wow, quite the question I must say, I'm sure it wasn't intended to offend but to some it may. It is completely and utterly false, and there is no logic to it whatsoever. It is somewhat of a manner of natural selection though, yes. Muscles and the nerves that innervate them all develop based on previous generations. All of the mitochondria, the cellular components that make all of the energy in muscles is passed down from your mother. This is the basis for why some people are naturally more gifted athletes than others. Training can play a huge role in your speed, strength and skill as an athlete, but there are intangibles. You have to remember, humans are animals as well, granted the most intelligent ones, but animals nontheless, and we have figured out that the strongest and fastest horses breed stronger and faster horses when they are mated. The same with race dogs, and the strength of draft horses. So why should it be different for us? Coming back to your question, it has nothing to do with skin color, but everything to do with genes, training and knowledge of a particular sport (not a tremendous amount of hockey players of african descent). Black versus white versus brown versus yellow comes down to one thing...the amount of melanin (pigment) in your skin.

I think it may be true to a point, but you can find examples in the NFL that prove this wrong....Wes Welker, comes to mind. Also, it can be said that the NFL does not like black QBs...there have been several comments made before about this.

As for O'Hanlon, I really don't think he deserved a shot. He will do what he can at the pro days and possibly get picked up really late or signed as a free agent right after the draft. He might have a good chance to play special teams, but he showed some inconsistency throughout his time as a Husker. I wish him the best of luck and I do hope he gets a chance.