QB Breakdown

Not to get people fired up or anything, but what if we are putting too much into Lee's injury. I know any injury like that would obviously affect his play....but some of the stuff i saw out of him way beyond the limitations of an injury. Missing open guys, being jittery in the pocket, and not making proper reads don't come about because of an injury. We can't blame all of his flaws on it. He isn't miraculously going to come back and become tim tebow

i dont think anyone is suggesting he will be tebow. we just need him to be joe ganz

Well, last year he was 10,000 miles away from Ganz and several light years away from Tebow.

Ugghh....surely we have somebody who can do better than that!

It seems that many are hoping that Green makes some big strides so that he might either a. challenge Lee for the starting job or b. become a very servicable back-up. I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that Green plays at all this year. Spano already has taken his redshirt, Washington will have another Spring in the system and Martinez could be pretty decent. Why not let Green and Carnes both redshirt, gain some experience, but leave the option for them to come in if the situation gets REALLY desperate. I think by taking the pressure off and by giving Green another whole year to learn, he'd come back as a monster in 2011. QBs that year then: Spano to play 1, Green to play 3, Carnes to play 4, Martinez to play 3, and (hopefully) Turner to play 4 + a redshirt. Seems like a plan to me.

Makes perfect sense and is the bast plan I have heard.

i don't think Lee's injury was all that dramatic. no one observed anything unusual regarding his throwing motion, nor did he ever run off the field holding his elbow or arm. he just couldn't make a lot of throws and didn't show much accuracy. how much of that was attributable to his injured arm or just to his own lack of ability? we will find out more during fall practice.

I sure noticed it, and posted it numorous times on the board. he never would step into throws and gun the ball downfield.....even though he is supposed to have an absolute cannon for an arm. even the announcers commented on it(the t-tech game i believe)

:yeah As painful as that TT game was to watch, I also remember the commentators mentioning Lee's passes lacking his usual umph. There was definitely a difference in his motion and arm strength after the injury, and that affected his accuracy, timing & decision-making....and rightfully so. We can say an injury like that shouldn't cause him to be as hesitant as he was, but just think if you had an arm injury that affected your precision as a passer. Are you telling me you would try to make the same passes you did pre-injury knowing full-well you are much more likely to miss & throw a pick? I doubt it.

• Fire 1

what would our collective thoughts on Lee be if we knew that he had hurt his elbow, when it happened, and that was the reason that NU had changed its offensive game plan.

i really think that Lee has the knowledge of the offense down, and will be the best man for the job provided his elbow surgery was successful and his rehab goes well.

You know. All this talk is moot. We all know in our hearts, as much as we would like to deny it or embrace it. Ron Kellogg Jr. will be starting for Nebraska next year!

Never say never. The QBs down on the depth chart are just a couple of ACLs away from being the man.

what would our collective thoughts on Lee be if we knew that he had hurt his elbow, when it happened, and that was the reason that NU had changed its offensive game plan.

i really think that Lee has the knowledge of the offense down, and will be the best man for the job provided his elbow surgery was successful and his rehab goes well.

I also think Lee has the best handle of this offense & will be the man in 2010. However, in spite of his understanding of the offense, he needs to work on his hesitation when going through his progressions. I have no doubts Lee was gunshy after sustaining the arm injury, but if you watch the games prior to that injury, you'll notice he still had tendency to hesitate, especially when going downfield. On several occasions that hesitation caused him to wait too long & miss opportunities for bigger plays or even completions. He needs to see what the D is doing & trust his arm (if healthy) because he certainly has arm strength & accuracy that's second to none on this team.

I think Cody Green will emerge. He has the physical tools, no doubt about it. Rocket arm, great footspeed, nice size. After a year in the system he’ll run the offense like a seasoned veteran in spring ball. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

I think Cody Green will emerge. He has the physical tools, no doubt about it. Rocket arm, great footspeed, nice size. After a year in the system he’ll run the offense like a seasoned veteran in spring ball. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

I pray to God you're right...I want a young qb. i'm tired of these guys that play for a year or two then graduate.

Since we're talking QBs, what do you think about Martinez' chance at QB PT this year? IMHO, I don't think he'll get any b/c he'll be so much more useful elsewhere. We have plenty of QBs & I really don't think he's got the arm to do much damage on opposing secondaries (looks like a slow-moving throwing motion with too much loft & not enough precision).

Since we're talking QBs, what do you think about Martinez' chance at QB PT this year? IMHO, I don't think he'll get any b/c he'll be so much more useful elsewhere. We have plenty of QBs & I really don't think he's got the arm to do much damage on opposing secondaries (looks like a slow-moving throwing motion with too much loft & not enough precision).

I don't know that he'll get any qb pt either, but he played against the top competition in California. I think he could get some throws though from the wr position out of the wild-corn or something.