QB Breakdown

Exactly. I just want a competent QB and if Zac Lee turns out to be that guy, then awesome. However, I just have this nagging feeling that he's not going to up his game much. When I watch him play I just see a guy who plays timid, can't feel pressure and makes bad decisions.

Agreed. Green didn't show much, other than the fact that he is green. However, I feel that Green has a much higher athletic ceiling than Lee does and will only get better. If Zac Lee can play at the level he did in the Holiday bowl, then I will be satisfied, but I will not get my hopes up.

Should be an interesting spring and fall camp.

These two quotes exemplify where I'm at. I don't really care who starts - Lee, Green, Spano, Kellogg, Martinez, Washington, Carnes, Aunt Ethel - as long as they're competent. Move the ball, be able to put up 17-20 points per game, and don't make crucial mistakes, and we're going to be really, really hard to beat this year.

17-20 pts per? If we're healthy & we have a competent QB, I'd say 24+ should be expected every game with the sched we have, and at least 17 vs the tougher defenses.

That's why I said 17-24. Against weaker competition I expect blowouts, but against Texas, 17-20 should do.

My bad...for this I deserve :bang

I don't care who it is, but we need somebody back there that can create plays in close games against solid defenses. If it comes with some mistakes, so be it. I still haven't forgiven the offense for the Texas game. 6 for 20, 39 yards and 3 INTs... I don't even have a word for that. When your best player in a decade (Suh) finishes his career without a conference title because your offense was so utterly inept, well, that's tough to get over. I'm past the point of patience. There is blame to go around: Lee, Watson, Cotton, receivers, line, etc. But the QB is ultimately the guy with the ball every snap making the decisions on where to throw, and Lee did a poor job 90% of the time outside of the Sun Belt. We need somebody in there with at least a high level of confidence and the ability to make a big play in a crucial spot, come interception or high water. I don't care who: Green, Washington, Spano, Carnes, or an improved Lee (certainly not holding my breath).

Here's an idea. Since Rex played some QB in high school & he's a big of a legend down there, why not make him a legendary back up here? We all saw how effective he was vs AZ, so let's just do that with him every down. At least we know what we're getting with that ;)

Word. I'm really looking forward to seeing some Wild Cob next season.

I'd like to see us patent that formation name.

i don't think Lee's injury was all that dramatic. no one observed anything unusual regarding his throwing motion, nor did he ever run off the field holding his elbow or arm. he just couldn't make a lot of throws and didn't show much accuracy. how much of that was attributable to his injured arm or just to his own lack of ability? we will find out more during fall practice.

I +1'd you because I think you're more right than wrong. I'd love to think that Lee will be much improved after his surgery but many of his problems were mental . . . not physical. Here's hoping that I'm wrong.

:yeah How convinent was it that Lee suddenly had issues with his elbow when the talk about next years offense and starters started to heat up? I don't remember hearing anything about it during the season. I'd love to see Lee excel and lead the team, but my gut tells me he is a drop off from our previous 2 qbs. I don't doubt his grit and dedication, just maybe a matter of him reaching his ceiling. That said, he doesn't have go-to guys like Purify and Swift. Hopfully his receivers pick him up and stop fumbling, slipping, whatever. He has had only one full season at this level and the offense was switched up on him alittle bit midway though the season. Time will tell I guess...

Now where are all the people that exchanged their Cody Green bandwagon ticket for the Carnes ticket at? It won't be long before someone says he'll be starting by midseason....

You're really grasping for straws there. Lee was a tough kid who played through the pain, didn't release it to the media and never used it as an excuse while we were playing, only revealing he was going to get surgery (because every player who gets surgery has the injury disclosed) after the season had ended. For some, I think he's just going to be at fault no matter what he does. He could light it up next year and people will just say "the receivers are better".

Bleacher report articles have no more legitimacy than a message board post. Just opinions written by some guy. At least journalists have to back up their statements so they don't go around making...on second thought, maybe journalists aren't so credible either. :) But at least there's a little bit of accountability there.

Cody Green-His mobility and better decision making edges him ahead of Lee.

Zac Lee-Already a bit behind due to surgery, he loses his starting position due to lack of progress.

What's this guy smoking?

But it's a nice and interesting breakdown, good stuff to read and well put together as a slideshow.

I think the author meant Green will have better decision making skills than last year. With Green's "improvement" and Lee not advancing due to the lack of Spring Ball, Green will start; according to the author.

i don't think Lee's injury was all that dramatic. no one observed anything unusual regarding his throwing motion, nor did he ever run off the field holding his elbow or arm. he just couldn't make a lot of throws and didn't show much accuracy. how much of that was attributable to his injured arm or just to his own lack of ability? we will find out more during fall practice.

I +1'd you because I think you're more right than wrong. I'd love to think that Lee will be much improved after his surgery but many of his problems were mental . . . not physical. Here's hoping that I'm wrong.

:yeah How convinent was it that Lee suddenly had issues with his elbow when the talk about next years offense and starters started to heat up? I don't remember hearing anything about it during the season. I'd love to see Lee excel and lead the team, but my gut tells me he is a drop off from our previous 2 qbs. I don't doubt his grit and dedication, just maybe a matter of him reaching his ceiling. That said, he doesn't have go-to guys like Purify and Swift. Hopfully his receivers pick him up and stop fumbling, slipping, whatever. He has had only one full season at this level and the offense was switched up on him alittle bit midway though the season. Time will tell I guess...

Now where are all the people that exchanged their Cody Green bandwagon ticket for the Carnes ticket at? It won't be long before someone says he'll be starting by midseason....

You're really grasping for straws there. Lee was a tough kid who played through the pain, didn't release it to the media and never used it as an excuse while we were playing, only revealing he was going to get surgery (because every player who gets surgery has the injury disclosed) after the season had ended. For some, I think he's just going to be at fault no matter what he does. He could light it up next year and people will just say "the receivers are better".

Not trying to grasp for straws, just saying that there wasn't much mention of an elbow issue with Lee while he was playing. Helu had shoulder issues and the eskimos in Alaska knew about it. I think he played through the pain and never fell back on it as an excuse for poor performance.

I hope Lee gets his elbow 100% so we can accurately judge him, but I'm not too optomistic he is the caliber QB we wish he could be.

It seems that many are hoping that Green makes some big strides so that he might either a. challenge Lee for the starting job or b. become a very servicable back-up. I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that Green plays at all this year. Spano already has taken his redshirt, Washington will have another Spring in the system and Martinez could be pretty decent. Why not let Green and Carnes both redshirt, gain some experience, but leave the option for them to come in if the situation gets REALLY desperate. I think by taking the pressure off and by giving Green another whole year to learn, he'd come back as a monster in 2011. QBs that year then: Spano to play 1, Green to play 3, Carnes to play 4, Martinez to play 3, and (hopefully) Turner to play 4 + a redshirt. Seems like a plan to me.

• Fire 1

It seems that many are hoping that Green makes some big strides so that he might either a. challenge Lee for the starting job or b. become a very servicable back-up. I don't think that it's a foregone conclusion that Green plays at all this year. Spano already has taken his redshirt, Washington will have another Spring in the system and Martinez could be pretty decent. Why not let Green and Carnes both redshirt, gain some experience, but leave the option for them to come in if the situation gets REALLY desperate. I think by taking the pressure off and by giving Green another whole year to learn, he'd come back as a monster in 2011. QBs that year then: Spano to play 1, Green to play 3, Carnes to play 4, Martinez to play 3, and (hopefully) Turner to play 4 + a redshirt. Seems like a plan to me.

Go get 'em coach.

I sure noticed it, and posted it numorous times on the board. he never would step into throws and gun the ball downfield.....even though he is supposed to have an absolute cannon for an arm. even the announcers commented on it(the t-tech game i believe)

Not to get people fired up or anything, but what if we are putting too much into Lee's injury. I know any injury like that would obviously affect his play....but some of the stuff i saw out of him way beyond the limitations of an injury. Missing open guys, being jittery in the pocket, and not making proper reads don't come about because of an injury. We can't blame all of his flaws on it. He isn't miraculously going to come back and become tim tebow

Not to get people fired up or anything, but what if we are putting too much into Lee's injury. I know any injury like that would obviously affect his play....but some of the stuff i saw out of him way beyond the limitations of an injury. Missing open guys, being jittery in the pocket, and not making proper reads don't come about because of an injury. We can't blame all of his flaws on it. He isn't miraculously going to come back and become tim tebow

i dont think anyone is suggesting he will be tebow. we just need him to be joe ganz

• Fire 1