QB Breakdown

Bleacher report articles have no more legitimacy than a message board post. Just opinions written by some guy. At least journalists have to back up their statements so they don't go around making...on second thought, maybe journalists aren't so credible either. :) But at least there's a little bit of accountability there.

Cody Green-His mobility and better decision making edges him ahead of Lee.

Zac Lee-Already a bit behind due to surgery, he loses his starting position due to lack of progress.

What's this guy smoking?

But it's a nice and interesting breakdown, good stuff to read and well put together as a slideshow.

QB has to be the worst position to have doubts about because this guy handles the ball every snap. I mean the mere fact there are more than two guys who stand a chance at taking the starting job worries me. It tells me we don't have one guy who is able to run Watson's offense exactly the way he wants & exactly the way we need to succeed game in & game out.

Don't get me wrong - QB controversies provide great off-season discussion. But, I'm of the mindset we need to make a decision and stick with our man. IMO, Lee is that guy based on gametime experience with this offense. You gotta admit he's much closer than Green, et. al. to running the offense Wats envisions.

One more thing to think about - who has the intangibles a QB needs in this system & as a team leader? It's clear the team knew about Lee's injury last year, so I think they respect the guy as a competitor who will do what it takes to lead the offense. That's a huge (and much needed) advantage for Lee because we need someone the team respects & someone they can count on at the QB position.

here's MO:

1) Zac Lee: unless he doesn't recover heathly, its his job to lose.

2) Cody Green: he will get some playing time this year as the back up, and will be the first one in if Lee doesn't perform or gets injured (unless everything just clicks for him in the spring game).

3)Latravis Washington/ Kody Spano: Whoever out competes in the spring game will take this spot, the other will take the 4 spot with Taylor Martinez and co.

4)Taylor Martinez/Brion Carnes (should reshirt, if we stay healthy)/ Co.

*I do like the depth and experience of everyone we got at the QB spot this year. I just hope they learned from last year and have a productive spring and summer. :thumbs

The fact that Lee had an injury and competed the whole season says a lot. It says he is a warrior and it also says that the staff didnt see enough in the backups to put them in games(thats how i saw it). We were better off with an injured QB starting?

Hope to see zac make a full and healthy recovery because i really think we need him.

Cody Green showed us all that he is very athletic and has a cannon on his right shoulder. However, he was young(it showed) and he had a lot to take in with watsons playbook. He made the most of his opportunity but still doesnt seem that he always new where to put the ball( had a few close calls).

We didnt see much of LW besides the spring game so we dont know much there, the coaches obviously thought he wasnt ready to see time over green so that says something.

Hopefully Spano can recover again, and really put some pressure on the above qbs, but that is also an unknown.

I would like to see carnes and possibly CG redshirt this year, unless we see an improved CG in the spring.

The spring game should tell us some of what we want to know about the back up QB situation.

i don't think Lee's injury was all that dramatic. no one observed anything unusual regarding his throwing motion, nor did he ever run off the field holding his elbow or arm. he just couldn't make a lot of throws and didn't show much accuracy. how much of that was attributable to his injured arm or just to his own lack of ability? we will find out more during fall practice.

• Fire 3

I hope that Green really works in the offseason and improves drastically. The kid has to toughen up. He's got to be able to say the playbook instantly in his head forwards and backwards. He's got to learn not to stare down his receivers. He's got to learn timing with his receivers as well as improve on his deep ball. He did a lot of things really well for a true freshman last year. We know he can scramble, we know he can throw hard and far, we know he throws bullets for slant passes. But can he run fakes well? Can he throw accurate passes with defenders breathing down his neck? Can he better adjust to the speed and pressure of the game?

These are the things I want answered between now and fall.

i don't think Lee's injury was all that dramatic. no one observed anything unusual regarding his throwing motion, nor did he ever run off the field holding his elbow or arm. he just couldn't make a lot of throws and didn't show much accuracy. how much of that was attributable to his injured arm or just to his own lack of ability? we will find out more during fall practice.

You maybe right but your missing one key point and that is his injury could have effected him mentaly, as well as physicaly. I think that a lot of lees prolems were caused by a lack of confidence/ running like he was scared to get hit. Both of those could have been caused by the injury. -1

I remember mentioning in one of the games prior to VaTech it looked like he hurt is wrist or arm. It was never addressed. He seemed different after that play.

Right now he is a man among boys in the QB hunt. He has proven to the team is capable of leading them and has the heart of a leader. It is his job next year, unless he can not play due to the injury.

I have yet to see the qualities that some see in Green. He is not a top freshman QB as we were told he was. He seems terrified everytime he gets the ball, has no clue where to throw it, and locks on if he decides to. He has a lot of improvement ahead of him. I just do not see it happening. My guess is if Lee can not start it will be Spano or Martinez starting next fall. Green needs to redshirt. My guess if he becomes a starter at Nebraska it will be other than a QB.

• Fire 1

I +1'd you because I think you're more right than wrong. I'd love to think that Lee will be much improved after his surgery but many of his problems were mental . . . not physical. Here's hoping that I'm wrong.

Oh boy, I hope "somebody" is able to beat out Lee. The guy just looked silly on the option plays, got smashed like a paper cup when he kept the ball and for throwing the ball....he made Frazier/Frost/Crouch look like Joe Namath in his prime.

Sorry, but count me in as "unimpressed" with that guy. Experience is great but there needs to be some talent too.

I desperately hope someone stand ups between Martinez, Spano or Green.

• Fire 1