Turner Gill

mturn087

So fro, you're telling me you wouldn't want Gill to take the reigns over Pinkel at this point in time? I mean it sounds like you really love this guy.

Sidebar - Not that this matter too much, but TO was this close to giving Gill the job over Pelini a couple years ago. He maybe wouldn't have saved the Huskers as quickly as Pelini, but he would've gotten the job done.

I have no issues with Gill. I just think alot of people are giving way to much credit to a coach that hasnt done much of anything. Maybe I am exposed to way to much love based on where I live, but it seems like its just some think it a given that KU will now challange for the North every year. I thought everyone here thought Mangino was a great coach. He challanged once and his best ever was 2nd best in the division. Gill has one heck of a job ahead of him. Look at it this way. In football KU is no Missouri. And Missouri is no Nebraska. Ku's program is maybe 5th best in this division. Their fan support is posibly the worst, right along with Colorado. They are playing from behind the 8 ball in so many areas. I am just saying that IMO its not going to be any better than it ever was with Mangino and I seriously doubt they ever get another 1 year wonder like they did in 07. And just so we are clear. I thought Mangino was a hell of a coach. I just think KU might win 6-7 games each year. I dont see them being a challenger for anything other than 3 or 4th place

If Gill really catches fire and does some great things I will be more than happy to eat my words. (because I am man like that. Not because one ounce of my soul will be happy for KU. ;) ) But if he is average at best, you know who you heard it from.

I agree with you for the most part, fro. I think Gill did some 'good not great' things at Buffalo, but I also think that his potential has earned him the right to get a head coaching job at a bigger division 1 school. With better talent, I think he could be a good coach but I don't think he's going to consistently challenge for a North title. 7-8 wins is about what I expect from him each year. Because honestly, Missouri and Nebraska have won the last four Big 12 North titles. I see no reason that any other Big 12 school is even close to getting a North title.

But who really knows how this might turn out? Who would have thought that Dan Hawkins would suck so bad going from Boise State to Colorado? Sometimes, good coaches at lower levels turn out to be busts at higher levels, while average coaches at lower levels turn out to be great coaches at higher levels. It will be interesting to see what Gill can do, as long as he does it while still losing to Nebraska. :koolaid2:

I agree with you both for the most part, fro pretty much completely. I just have a couple of things to say to Enhance. I think one of Hawkins mistakes was recruiting his son, and I think KSU could be a north challenger.

Absolutely right about recruiting the son thing. It's pretty clear that the father-son relationship clouded his judgement often. I personally still think KSU is maybe 3rd best in the North. Snyder was started to lag behind the game when he left the first time, so I'm still not sure he's got what it takes to be a serious contender for a North title every year.

Obviously it's hard to see exactly where Kansas football will be in the future. But, they have the kind of coaching staff that can produce solid teams every year. Honestly I think 3 years from now the Jayhawks will be the consistent runner up to Nebraska & a great rival that could give us quite a bit of trouble.

Btw, I think Gill has done everything right so far as KU's HC, including his emphasis on team.

How? They are going to beat out Ohio St, Mich, Wisc, Iowa and Penn St when NU beats the Big ** conference? :sarcasm

** Insert random number here

Wow. I am really surprised at the negative Gill vibe going on in this thread. Buffalo won a combined FIVE games from 2002 through 2005 until Gill came along and all anyone can do is focus on his 5-7 record the year after his team won the MAC Championship. Gill is a born leader not to mention being groomed/mentored by our very own Coach Osborne who has been and still is a huge influence on him. I think a lot of parents will feel really good about sending their kids to play for him also.

I wish Gill all the best. I think Kansas has themselves a true class act as their head coach.

Wow. I am really surprised at the negative Gill vibe going on in this thread. Buffalo won a combined FIVE games from 2002 through 2005 until Gill came along and all anyone can do is focus on his 5-7 record the year after his team won the MAC Championship. Gill is a born leader not to mention being groomed/mentored by our very own Coach Osborne who has been and still is a huge influence on him. I think a lot of parents will feel really good about sending their kids to play for him also.

I wish Gill all the best. I think Kansas has themselves a true class act as their head coach.

Most here respect Gill for what he has done in his career. I believe if Gill can get KU back to respectablility, he could be a real burr in our butt when recruiting time comes around, because we'll be going after some of the same athletes.

I gotta agree with Fro on this one. Gill did have a miracle season, and how did he follow it up? He went 5-7.

you do realize taht gill lost a 3 year starter at qb, bunch of play makers on offense and defense. oh right and a running back that maybe expected to e a 1200 yard+ guy was sidelined for the season with an injury?

Junior4949 said: The last time Nebraska's men's basketball team won the Big 8 tournament was when? The last time KU won any kind of conference title in football was when? In 1994, NU's mens basketball team won the Big 8 tournament getting an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. In 1968, KU tied for the conference title in football. People can crow all they want about KU's season in 2007, but the fact still remains that they didn't play either Texas or Oklahoma and didn't even win the North. Why the BCS picked them over Mizzou is still a mystery. Were you ever at Bill Snyder stadium in 1988? It paled in comparison to what it is now. It didn't even have lights until 1983.

I was there at KSU in 1969 and a few times after. Sure, I bet the stadium has improved since then, but I remember it being a fairly nice stadium. Probably nicer than what buffalo has now. Dude, you can pick apart KU if you like, but even though they didn't play Texas and Oklahoma in 2007, they did win the bowl game against a very good team. You don't think that was an achievement? KU has shown it can win there. Are you kidding me? There is a lot better opportunity for Gill to show what he can do at KU. I'm not saying Gill will have top 10 teams very often, but might have consistent top 25, and will challenge for the North Division title on occasion. To say KU is a horrible place to coach is incorrect.

I gotta agree with Fro on this one. Gill did have a miracle season, and how did he follow it up? He went 5-7.

you do realize taht gill lost a 3 year starter at qb, bunch of play makers on offense and defense. oh right and a running back that maybe expected to e a 1200 yard+ guy was sidelined for the season with an injury?

Those excuses only work for Watson.

Junior4949 said: The last time Nebraska's men's basketball team won the Big 8 tournament was when? The last time KU won any kind of conference title in football was when? In 1994, NU's mens basketball team won the Big 8 tournament getting an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. In 1968, KU tied for the conference title in football. People can crow all they want about KU's season in 2007, but the fact still remains that they didn't play either Texas or Oklahoma and didn't even win the North. Why the BCS picked them over Mizzou is still a mystery. Were you ever at Bill Snyder stadium in 1988? It paled in comparison to what it is now. It didn't even have lights until 1983.

I was there at KSU in 1969 and a few times after. Sure, I bet the stadium has improved since then, but I remember it being a fairly nice stadium. Probably nicer than what buffalo has now. Dude, you can pick apart KU if you like, but even though they didn't play Texas and Oklahoma in 2007, they did win the bowl game against a very good team. You don't think that was an achievement? KU has shown it can win there. Are you kidding me? There is a lot better opportunity for Gill to show what he can do at KU. I'm not saying Gill will have top 10 teams very often, but might have consistent top 25, and will challenge for the North Division title on occasion. To say KU is a horrible place to coach is incorrect.

Horrible is probably a bit harsh. However, KU is a stepping stone job. There's several better schools just in the Big 12 that would be better places than KU. Glenn Mason used it as a stepping stone job. While stepping stone jobs may not be considered horrible places to coach, they sure as heck aren't elite either. I'd compare the football coaching job at KU to the mens basketball coaching job at Nebraska. KU has only 2 more bowl appearances than Iowa State. In the last 40 years, Iowa State has gone to one more bowl game than KU. KU's a far, far cry from being an elite program. Glenn Mason was the longest tenured coach in their history at just 9 seasons. The past 5 coaches were either fired or took another job with 3 of them being fired and 2 of them leaving for a better program. Of their past 5 coaches, only one of them posted a winning percentage over 50%. While all of this might not spell horrible, it sure as heck doesn't spell brilliant or even bright future.