Anyone else worried about MU?

I already respect Pinkel, but I would respect him more if I actually saw his team actually make some changes like this.

Me and you both buddy. Mu was horrible at running at times last year. If I remember correctly it was GP's worst running MU team and the worst running team since like 1994 for MU. They need to change something and if they went to a straight forward, even sometimes power set, I would be VERY pleased.

Exactly!

I don't know if you read my post above, but I outlined the two things that I feel would push Missouri over the edge into one of the consistently elite programs. Right now, I see Missouri as a team with talent and the ability to win games (even big games), but just can't consistently beat the powers of our conference, similar to the problems Nebraska faced under BC. (DISCLAIMER: Not comparing good ole Billy C. and GP :cheers )

But anyways, what I outlined was that Missouri just needs to be more physical up front, and you get more physical by running power football downhill at people. Finesse teams are nice, but when was the last time we saw a finesse team that had no power running game win a MNC?

Your preaching now! SO many of us MU fans would pee ourselves with excitement if we saw a FB on the field in a goal to go situation. I love MU, but get so mad when they spread it to pass on 3rd or 4th down and inches. throwing on 4th and goal from the 1 or 2. Its awful. We have some big uglies. Line those boys up, put a fatty back there to lead it and lets pound the rock.

I may love my team, but it doesnt mean I am not fully aware of all their zits :hmmph

In my time embedded over at Tigerboard I found this gem from an NU fan over there whose handle is "Grosser."

------------------

"How can you feel that Missouri is on the same level as Nebraska right now? We beat 3 ranked teams by an average score of 23-5. We lost to the other two ranked teams by 1 point apiece. We also beat Missouri by 2+ TDs in Columbia, MO, and won our bowl in a blowout over a Top 20 team.

Meanwhile, Missouri lost to all 3 of the ranked teams you played, by an average score of 34-12, as well as losing by blowout to an unranked Navy team in your bowl game.

I guess I just don't understand how a Missouri fan can say that Missouri is "right there" too."

---------------

I don't agree with it because I think Missouri and Nebraska ARE fairly similar right now . . . but it sure ruffled some Tigers' fur.

Also, as a side note, if you are respectful and rational over there you can meet some pretty nice/good fans. They'll pick on you at first but if you make it through the initial hazing they are fun to argue football with.

A lot of people keep referencing the 5, 6, 7 DB defenses. The one thing that helped this defensive formation and our lack of linebacker play was Suh and our D-line. If we don't get constant pressure when we are in 5, 6, or 7 DB's sets it doesnt matter how good our DB's are they will not stay with the receivers forever.

I think you have that backwards. If our DL can't get pressure on its own we won't BE in the 6 or 7 DB sets. However, if you do have 7 DBs back in coverage they will be able to slow down the throw enough to let even an average defensive line get pressure. The passing game doesn't concern me when we are able to have 6 or 7 DBs on the field . . . it's the running game where I'll be concerned. Until Missouri shows me something with a run game I expect their offense to struggle against above average defenses.

I am no more worried about Missouri than I am about Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State or Kansas. The Tigers are a young team that will have to replace their top players on offense and defense while improving across the board. They showed promise last year and are not to be taken lightly, but they also showed disquieting tendencies to falter as well.

The losses of Alexander and Spoon are going to hit their offense and defense as much as the loss of Suh will hit our defense. That's not impossible to overcome, but it'll be really, really difficult to do, and that's just to keep Missouri at the 8-win level.

I see them as an 8-4 team, possibly 7-5 (but I doubt that).

Missouri 2010 Schedule

Illinois - W

McNeese State - W

San Diego State - W

Miami (Ohio) - W

Colorado - W

Texas A&M - L

Oklahoma - L

Nebraska - L

Texas Tech - L

Kansas State - W

Iowa State - W

Kansas - W

Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are the only three opponents Missouri faces this year who finished in Sagarin's top 50. A&M finished 58, but they're climbing on my radar.

Mu..The great North rival? Let me think about that one...Nope! Mizzou beat up on some weak north teams (including Nebraska) for a couple of years and striked some fear into some of you. They had a good recruiting class this year but to keep that up every year they need to win the big games (Nebraska, Oklahoma or Texas) And with Bo in charge all I can say is Good Luck! I just think Nebraska is better coached when it comes down to it.

I am a Nebraska fan but I can't help but notice some people hating on Gabbert. That is understandable I guess but if a soph. Qb at Nebraska had the skill set that he has we would be drooling over him and calling him a heisman hopeful. The kid can plain and simply throw the ball. Also if I remember correctly he had quite a few rushing yard in high school so to call him a one dimensional pocket passer is just misinformed. He will make better decisions this year and if they change their running attack to a more downhill style they will be tuff to stop. Nebraska will hold them under twenty points simply because of our defensive scheme but they will average around 30 a game.

Meh. Idk i think Blaine will be better than Tyler overall in the long run. Although in my mind because I played with the kid, I think B. Marsh is one of the best QB's i've ever seen, but that's probably just me being Biased since i actually played ball and watched him progress over the next 3 years. Hopefully he makes a run at safety and perhaps even QB if he's lucky, but he's a playmaker, that's for sure.

Tyler on the other hand has a similar style it seems to how i've seen Bronson play which could be a problem, but just how the defense is run right now on Nebraska, keeping them under 20 pts is a high probability in my opinion.

I don't agree with it because I think Missouri and Nebraska ARE fairly similar right now . . . but it sure ruffled some Tigers' fur.

Also, as a side note, if you are respectful and rational over there you can meet some pretty nice/good fans. They'll pick on you at first but if you make it through the initial hazing they are fun to argue football with.

Grosser is a legend on that board. And by that I mean that everyone on that board absolutely despises him. Honestly, it makes the Husker faithful look pretty bad when people go on other boards and act like that. I won't go as far as saying that the board is terrible, because it's not. I find the Mizzou fans to be very well-informed. They know just about as much about the 'skers as we do. You can tell it's the whole little-brother complex. If you go to their board to talk about the Huskers and how great they are--you'll get some kickback. But if you go to talk about recruiting, etc. you can receive all kinds of information that you don't hear up here in 'sker land. Many of the people on that board are actually Mizzou fans that live in and around Omaha/Lincoln. They have some pretty lofty expectations, but that is to be expected by any fanbase (aside from Colorado). When it comes down to it, they want to see the North rise up and squash the south--and I can absolutely appreciate that.

Grosser is a legend on that board. And by that I mean that everyone on that board absolutely despises him. Honestly, it makes the Husker faithful look pretty bad when people go on other boards and act like that. I won't go as far as saying that the board is terrible, because it's not. I find the Mizzou fans to be very well-informed. They know just about as much about the 'skers as we do. You can tell it's the whole little-brother complex. If you go to their board to talk about the Huskers and how great they are--you'll get some kickback. But if you go to talk about recruiting, etc. you can receive all kinds of information that you don't hear up here in 'sker land. Many of the people on that board are actually Mizzou fans that live in and around Omaha/Lincoln. They have some pretty lofty expectations, but that is to be expected by any fanbase (aside from Colorado). When it comes down to it, they want to see the North rise up and squash the south--and I can absolutely appreciate that.

I almost completely disagree.

I find that only a few of their posters seem to be well-informed and have good opinions, but then again I'm sure they would say the same thing about Huskerboard.

It's different from Huskerboard because we generally have structured conversations with other team posters without a lot of insulting. Trying to have an honest discussion about the Huskers and Tigers over there is like trying argue religion.

Sherman's Texas A&M = Callahan's Nebraska

Year One- No Bowl.

Year Two- Decent Bowl Game (we won ours though)

Year Three- Pretty good Pre-season hype. Sort of lives up to expectations.

Year Four- The fall.

A&M is in year 3. they may be ok, but i'm more worried about Mizzou. i think Mizzou takes at least one of the A&M/Tech games, if not both. I'm gonna say they go 10-2 (6-2) (though probly one of the worst 10 win teams in the country) we just love laughing at Mizzou right now, and they are just waiting to sneak up and surprise us. given they weren't and aren't as good as their fans believe they are (but whose team is?). but they sure havent fallen, and in fact i'd say their future looks alot brighter than we give them credit for (though they will be playing 2nd fiddle to us in the North)

i truly think were a top 5 team and we will beat them at home if were focused. if it were in Columbia, it would IMO be our toughest game this year. at least as tough as Texas at home.

Oh yeah, I can appreciate that too!

I would "love" to see NU & Missou dominate the BigXII (as long as NU is #1). Heck, I would love to see NU and any North team dominate the BigXII.

If not that, then Oklahoma or Oklahoma St and NU. An annual NU/OU BigXII smashmouth ccg works for me! I guess my Big8 blood just can't change....

Sherman's Texas A&M = Callahan's Nebraska

Year One- No Bowl.

Year Two- Decent Bowl Game (we won ours though)

Year Three- Pretty good Pre-season hype. Sort of lives up to expectations.

Year Four- The fall.

A&M is in year 3. they may be ok, but i'm more worried about Mizzou. i think Mizzou takes at least one of the A&M/Tech games, if not both. I'm gonna say they go 10-2 (6-2) (though probly one of the worst 10 win teams in the country) we just love laughing at Mizzou right now, and they are just waiting to sneak up and surprise us. given they weren't and aren't as good as their fans believe they are (but whose team is?). but they sure havent fallen, and in fact i'd say their future looks alot brighter than we give them credit for (though they will be playing 2nd fiddle to us in the North)

i truly think were a top 5 team and we will beat them at home if were focused. if it were in Columbia, it would IMO be our toughest game this year. at least as tough as Texas at home.

Unfortunately for Sherman, his Aggies play in the South which is a much, much tougher row to hoe than Cally's North division that was then completely in the toilet.

I like A&M and wish them the best but Sherman's job won't be easy for him down there.

I am no more worried about Missouri than I am about Colorado, Iowa State, Kansas State or Kansas. The Tigers are a young team that will have to replace their top players on offense and defense while improving across the board. They showed promise last year and are not to be taken lightly, but they also showed disquieting tendencies to falter as well.

The losses of Alexander and Spoon are going to hit their offense and defense as much as the loss of Suh will hit our defense. That's not impossible to overcome, but it'll be really, really difficult to do, and that's just to keep Missouri at the 8-win level.

I see them as an 8-4 team, possibly 7-5 (but I doubt that).

Missouri 2010 Schedule

Illinois - W

McNeese State - W

San Diego State - W

Miami (Ohio) - W

Colorado - W

Texas A&M - L

Oklahoma - L

Nebraska - L

Texas Tech - L

Kansas State - W

Iowa State - W

Kansas - W

Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas Tech are the only three opponents Missouri faces this year who finished in Sagarin's top 50. A&M finished 58, but they're climbing on my radar.

Thats a good prediction for Mizzou, but for some reason, either ISU or KSU is going to win against MU next year. They both finished out 2009 with strong season records. They both won't be good as they were last year in 2010, but one will continue its good season streak, my vote will go to ISU, since most analyst want to write off Rhodes good luck with that team, i think they will finish out strong in 2010 with another bowl invite.

Im not afraid of MU, our defense will be able to handle them in 2010 and the years that both Tyler and Blaine Gabbert play for the Tigers, the only difference will be that through Blaine's ever increasing experience, the score will be closer. But Gabbert won't be able to lead the Tigers to a win against the Huskers.