CFN.com 2010 Big 12 North Schedule Breakdown

GSG

Nebraska

Games Against The South: Texas, at Oklahoma State, at Texas A&M

Realistic Best Case Record: 11-1

Worst Case Record: 6-6

Likely Finish: 9-3

Summary: There’s a reason Husker fans are all fired up. The defense should be fine, the offense can’t be worse, and the schedule is national-title good. That might be putting the program’s head over its skis, this isn’t going to be one of the three best teams in the country, but to get to the BCS Championship a great team needs a mix of winnable layups with one or two signature games. Winning at Washington won’t be anything to get to jacked up over, but it would still make a national splash, and the rest of the non-conference slate is a joke. While road games at Oklahoma State and Texas A&M will be tough, any team thinking big has to win those games. Getting Missouri and Kansas at home should all but sew up the North title, and then comes the big one: Texas. It might be a Big 12 Championship preview, and if the Huskers can win the showdown in mid-October, the hype and high expectations will follow.

Sept. 4 Western Kentucky

Sept. 11 Idaho

Sept. 18 at Washington

Sept. 25 South Dakota St

Oct. 2 OPEN DATE

Oct. 7 at Kansas State

Oct. 16 Texas

Oct. 23 at Oklahoma St

Oct. 30 Missouri

Nov. 6 at Iowa State

Nov. 13 Kansas

Nov. 20 at Texas A&M

Nov. 26 Colorado

Rest of the article here

While I agree with their "realistic best-case scenario," do they honestly think we won't have a better record than last year? The schedule is easier, and like they said, the D will still be damn good and the offense can (and should) only be better. Doesn't that account for maybe another win or two?

If the offense is even marginally better and the defense takes a step backwards without Suh, we'll still be a better overall team this year than last. Only fluke occurrences like an eight-turnover game will keep us from a better record.

Exactly.

And that makes it so difficult, considering things like turnovers are so hard to predict. But, even with a slightly better offense and a slightly worse defense, I think we have a better season that last year (in terms of wins and losses).

If the offense is even marginally better and the defense takes a step backwards without Suh, we'll still be a better overall team this year than last. Only fluke occurrences like an eight-turnover game will keep us from a better record.

You mean only fluke games AND INCONSISTENCY will cost us. Now don't mistake this for motivation b/c it's clear that Bo knows how to get the troops fired up for every game.

We were way to too inconsistent last year & that just cannot be the case if we really expect to do some damage. Just think about some of our games last year.

Against VaTech, the inconsistency of our offense cost us the game b/c they couldn't convert solid drives into TDs.

Mizzou would've beaten us if it weren't for a great comeback in the 4th, which was night & day compared to the 1st 3 quarters of that game.

TT we played carelessly & just didn't execute, which was a far cry from the rest of our games. "Inconsistent" is the only word that comes to mind for that game.

Vs Baylor, we dominated the 1st half to go up 20-0, but then could've lost the game in the 2nd half. Baylor shut us out & should have scored at least another TD to make it a 3-pt game in the final 3 minutes.

You mean only fluke games AND INCONSISTENCY will cost us. Now don't mistake this for motivation b/c it's clear that Bo knows how to get the troops fired up for every game.

We were way to too inconsistent last year & that just cannot be the case if we really expect to do some damage. Just think about some of our games last year.

Against VaTech, the inconsistency of our offense cost us the game b/c they couldn't convert solid drives into TDs.

Mizzou would've beaten us if it weren't for a great comeback in the 4th, which was night & day compared to the 1st 3 quarters of that game.

TT we played carelessly & just didn't execute, which was a far cry from the rest of our games. "Inconsistent" is the only word that comes to mind for that game.

Vs Baylor, we dominated the 1st half to go up 20-0, but then almost let off the gas too much. Baylor shut us out in the 2nd half & should have scored at least another TD to make it a 3-pt game in the final 3 minutes.

Sure. I didn't list every one of the 1,000 things that can damage a team, of course. Flukes and inconsistency are only two of them.

Vs Baylor, we dominated the 1st half to go up 20-0, but then almost let off the gas too much. Baylor shut us out in the 2nd half & should have scored at least another TD to make it a 3-pt game in the final 3 minutes.

Sure. I didn't list every one of the 1,000 things that can damage a team, of course. Flukes and inconsistency are only two of them.

I gotcha. I was just sayin...

Vs Baylor, we dominated the 1st half to go up 20-0, but then could've lost the game in the 2nd half. Baylor shut us out & should have scored at least another TD to make it a 3-pt game in the final 3 minutes.

Well if you think about it, there are ways you could diagnose every game this way. Things just happen in football, so it's not overly fair to go through and pick and choose what didn't and what did go our way because they could just have easily flipped.

I mean, if Paul doesn't return that punt for a touchdown vs. Colorado we go into overtime tied 20-20. If we don't intercept the 3rd play from scrimmage vs Arizona, maybe they stuff our first drive and we don't get the momentum to swing our way early. Etc., Etc....

The one thing I noticed about this "article" is that it's definitely not playing into the Big Red Hype Machine that we've seen from other places lately. This one is much more level-headed, but I still think their prediction is a little too low. At the risk of sounding Hawkins-ish, I expect 10 wins in the regular season and "no excuses." :lol: There, I said it.

Well if you think about it, there are ways you could diagnose every game this way. Things just happen in football, so it's not overly fair to go through and pick and choose what didn't and what did go our way because they could just have easily flipped.

I mean, if Paul doesn't return that punt for a touchdown vs. Colorado we go into overtime tied 20-20. If we don't intercept the 3rd play from scrimmage vs Arizona, maybe they stuff our first drive and we don't get the momentum to swing our way early. Etc., Etc....

So you're telling me the Huskers were consistent from game to game? Not so fast, my friend. The best teams are the ones that execute their gameplan to a T in every game. When teams play with that kind of precision & consistency, "things that just happen in football" go your way. Sure, things can go the opponent's way too, but if the majority of the action is in your favor, you won't be a that situation where one missed assignment or blown coverage costs you the win.

Don't get me wrong, Big Red is definitely heading in the right direction considering how well they executed down the stretch. But, I think it's the nit-pickiness (if you will) that makes all the difference. Do the little things (execution in all 3 aspects of the game) consistently better than the opponent & victory is inevitable.

I'm curious to know who the opponent is that will be "unrealistic" for us to beat since, according to them, we can only for hope 11-1. I guess if we win our first 11 games, CU fans will be prematurely celebrating a victory.

Nebraska

Games Against The South: Texas, at Oklahoma State, at Texas A&M

Realistic Best Case Record: 11-1

Worst Case Record: 6-6

Likely Finish: 9-3

Summary: There’s a reason Husker fans are all fired up. The defense should be fine, the offense can’t be worse, and the schedule is national-title good. That might be putting the program’s head over its skis, this isn’t going to be one of the three best teams in the country, but to get to the BCS Championship a great team needs a mix of winnable layups with one or two signature games. Winning at Washington won’t be anything to get to jacked up over, but it would still make a national splash, and the rest of the non-conference slate is a joke. While road games at Oklahoma State and Texas A&M will be tough, any team thinking big has to win those games. Getting Missouri and Kansas at home should all but sew up the North title, and then comes the big one: Texas. It might be a Big 12 Championship preview, and if the Huskers can win the showdown in mid-October, the hype and high expectations will follow.

Sept. 4 Western Kentucky

Sept. 11 Idaho

Sept. 18 at Washington

Sept. 25 South Dakota St

Oct. 2 OPEN DATE

Oct. 7 at Kansas State

Oct. 16 Texas

Oct. 23 at Oklahoma St

Oct. 30 Missouri

Nov. 6 at Iowa State

Nov. 13 Kansas

Nov. 20 at Texas A&M

Nov. 26 Colorado

Rest of the article here

While I agree with their "realistic best-case scenario," do they honestly think we won't have a better record than last year? The schedule is easier, and like they said, the D will still be damn good and the offense can (and should) only be better. Doesn't that account for maybe another win or two?

The writer expects us to lose one game next year, doesn't matter which one, just doesn't think we can run the table. All of our games are winnable but I think the realistic wins prediction should be at 10-2. I expect we'll have a game where we go wtf just happened (similar to Mizzou 2 years ago and TTech this past year, but the final score will be closer than the 21 and 35 or whatever it was for those games). Then we'll lose to either Okie State or A&M on the road, it won't be both, it'll only be one. I'm penciling Texas as a win because the game will feel similar to the Oklahoma game this year. The crowd will be absolutely jacked, and I don't think they'll let Nebraska lose.

The writer expects us to lose one game next year, doesn't matter which one, just doesn't think we can run the table. All of our games are winnable but I think the realistic wins prediction should be at 10-2. I expect we'll have a game where we go wtf just happened (similar to Mizzou 2 years ago and TTech this past year, but the final score will be closer than the 21 and 35 or whatever it was for those games). Then we'll lose to either Okie State or A&M on the road, it won't be both, it'll only be one. I'm penciling Texas as a win because the game will feel similar to the Oklahoma game this year. The crowd will be absolutely jacked, and I don't think they'll let Nebraska lose.

I plan on bringing poisonous darts to the game. That ought to take care of Texas :ph34r: