Player: Anthony Chickillo

Hometown: Tampa, FL

School: Alonso HS

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 226 lbs.

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Alabama, Cincinnati, Clemson, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Florida International, Florida St., Georgia Tech, Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Miami, Michigan St., Mississippi St., Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio St., Pittsburgh, Purdue, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas Tech, UCF, USC, Wake Forest, Wisconsin

Committed to Miami

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#8)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#19)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#8)

**NOTE: Click on ESPN link above for highlights.**

Rivals has a new article up on him teasing about a possible visit to our spring game. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, he's planning on visiting for our spring game. He said NU is one of his favorites right now because of Suh. Said he watched NU every time they were on TV because he wanted to watch Suh, who is one of his favorite players. Said he tries to play with the same relentless drive on every single play that Suh displays. Sounds like he initiated contact with NU's coaches and wanted to schedule a visit. He currently holds 22 offers, including pretty much all of the Florida schools and ND, TN, WI, NU, etc.

Rivals has a new article up on him teasing about a possible visit to our spring game. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, he's planning on visiting for our spring game. He said NU is one of his favorites right now because of Suh. Said he watched NU every time they were on TV because he wanted to watch Suh, who is one of his favorite players. Said he tries to play with the same relentless drive on every single play that Suh displays. Sounds like he initiated contact with NU's coaches and wanted to schedule a visit. He currently holds 22 offers, including pretty much all of the Florida schools and ND, TN, WI, NU, etc.

Based on nothing more than conventional logic I would venture to say that he was one of the prospects to contact coach Carl Pelini after the Big 12 Championship game.

Written by Lorenzo Reyes Friday, 19 February 2010 17:01

anthonychickilloS

Despite being from Tampa, Fla., Anthony Chickillo knows all about Notre Dame because of his head coach, Mike Heldt.

In 1987, Lou Holtz went down to Tampa, Fla. to recruit an offensive lineman by the name of Mike Heldt. Although he admits that he didn’t know a thing about Notre Dame before his recruitment, all it took was one visit to the South Bend campus to pry away Heldt from the in-state programs.

“I was kind of the same way,” Heldt said of falling in love with Irish program on his first visit. “This might sound bad, but I had honestly never even heard of Notre Dame before I visited.”

23 years later, Brian Kelly is attempting to enter the same city and possibly land a big-time recruit for the class of 2011, defensive end Anthony Chickillo out of Alonso High School.

This time, however, the Irish target will know all about Notre Dame.

That is because Heldt, who went on to be an All-American center for Notre Dame in 1990 and was part of Holtz’s 1988 National Championship squad, is now Chickillo’s head coach at Alonso High School.

“Notre Dame is one of my favorite schools,” Chickillo said. “My head coach, Mike Heldt, he played for Notre Dame and was an All-American for them at center. He's just told me so much about all his old games against Miami and some of their rivals like Michigan. He just told me it's a great experience to be a player up there in their stadium. He told me he loved everything and I'd be crazy not to check it out.”

Chickillo, who has been receiving a lot of attention from a number of programs across the nation, can now add another offer to his 20 or so that the 6-foot-4 defensive end has already collected.

After telling Irish Sports Daily Thursday evening that he was expecting Notre Dame to offer very soon, Chickillo confirmed the receipt of the scholarship pledge in a text message Friday afternoon.

“I've been talking with Coach [Tony] Alford,” Chickillo said. “He's been telling me that they love the way I play, what I can bring to the game for them. They love the way I use my hands and my motor.”

Also holding offers from programs such as Duke, Florida, Florida State, Iowa, Louisville, Miami (FL), Purdue and Wake Forest, the junior defensive end has not yet narrowed down a list of favorites.

“I hold about 20 offers,” he said Thursday. “I've been getting a lot lately. I got four today, four yesterday. So I'm just seeing which schools come in and which schools like me.”

According to Heldt, all of the attention Chickillo is garnering from top programs is warranted. After posting 72 tackles and 12.5 sacks in his junior season, it’s easy to see why.

“All of the attention is deserved, first of all,” Heldt said. “He’s a 6-4 kid, awfully fast, awfully quick and a great character kid. He’s always smiling and a great leader on and off the field — you hear that a lot — but I’ve seen a lot of good players and this kid can play. He’s a great football player with fantastic instincts and he seems to find a way to the quarterback.”

As more and more offers keep trickling in, Chickillo will have his work cut out for him as he sifts through the numerous programs that are vying for his services. Without a list of favorites, the junior is planning on taking as many visits as he can.

Fortunately for Notre Dame, Chickillo is heeding Heldt’s advice to at least consider the Irish.

“I'm planning on visiting as many schools as I can and Notre Dame is definitely one of them,” Chickillo said.

Much like the recruitment of his head coach to Notre Dame, Chickillo has said that distance will not be a factor into his decision. More importantly, the defensive end is looking for a program that makes him feel comfortable.

“The school that fits me best, that's the school I've got to go to,” he said.

One of the most common themes repeated throughout recruiting conversations surrounding the Irish program is whether or not a prospect fits the mold of ‘a Notre Dame man.’

Many times, it appears to be the difference between landing recruits that otherwise would stay closer to home.

According to Heldt, who knows all about the ‘Notre Dame man’ mantra, Chickillo is a seamless fit.

“I just told him about the experience itself,” Heldt said. “I had a great experience in the four years I was there. He can definitely help take the program in the direction it needs to go — he’s that type of character. Notre Dame has always been associated with bringing in great people that all have the same thing in common: great work ethic, intelligent and just great people overall and he fits that bill to a ‘T.’”

When asked what he would bring to the program he chooses to play college football for, Anthony Chickillo incorporated many of the concepts that his head coach detailed above.

“I bring so much love for the game of football,” he said. “I'll do whatever I need to do on the field to get that extra step and get to the quarterback. I refuse to give up in any single play. I think I bring an ability to do whatever it takes to the table — just an unconditional love for the game.”

• 1 month later...