Why is UT viewed as a money hungry University?

theneguy95

Can you guys give me some offseason education on this?

In the midst of all the Big 10 expansion rumors I've read a lot about, "UT has always been greedy" and "UT will do anything to get the money" type talk. What happened when the Big 8 expanded that makes people think this way? What happened when a Big 12 Network was being talked about? What else are examples of why people feel this way or see it this way? If this is true, is there ways that UT has used that power, created by money, to get their way in the conferences they have been in? I'm not agreement or disagreement because I don't know any facts to forumulate an opinion, but I'd like to be educated if anyone can help? I see that UT is regularly in the top 5-10 in revenue, but not much further than that in regards to UT and this view people have of the University...

In the midst of all the Big 10 expansion rumors I've read a lot about, "UT has always been greedy" and "UT will do anything to get the money" type talk. What happened when the Big 8 expanded that makes people think this way? What happened when a Big 12 Network was being talked about? What else are examples of why people feel this way or see it this way? If this is true, is there ways that UT has used that power, created by money, to get their way in the conferences they have been in? I'm not agreement or disagreement because I don't know any facts to forumulate an opinion, but I'd like to be educated if anyone can help? I see that UT is regularly in the top 5-10 in revenue, but not much further than that in regards to UT and this view people have of the University...

I'm not sure either, but I've heard one of the things. When they were forming the BIG 12, supposedly, the BIG 8 made a lot of concessions to get Texas into the conference, and basically bent over backwards. I don't know what terms of it were or anything like that.

I'm not sure either, but I've heard one of the things. When they were forming the BIG 12, supposedly, the BIG 8 made a lot of concessions to get Texas into the conference, and basically bent over backwards. I don't know what terms of it were or anything like that.

Texas had A LOT of say in what happened when they joined the Big 12 conference. I know for a fact they got rid of one program that Nebraska had always taken advantage. I don't remember the name of the program, but I remember it had a lot to do with getting kids into the school that maybe always didn't fit academically. Again, I don't remember the logistics of the program (or if what I even said) has anything to do with the program, but I know it was something that had helped Nebraska and other Big 8 schools get kids in the conference.

Plus, people feel Texas is greedy because something always seems to benefit them and leave the conference in the dust. A B12 CG in Dallas, all of the the things that were changed before they joined the conference, etc. etc.

A lot of the gripe is that Nebraska and Texas were fighting for supremacy in the new conference. Nebraska was the top dog in the Big Eight and Texas was the big dog in the Southwest Conference. Neither side wanted to let go of the things that benefited them. The one thing I will say is the Southwest Conference was much more unified in it efforts than the Big 8. It was basically like Nebraska vs everyone else.

Many NU fans blame UT influence for the following:

•  
  • Choosing Dallas as the site for league headquarters. (Big 8 league office was in K.C.)
  • A league vote of 11-1 to put in a championship game.
  • A league vote of 11-1 to put in the two male and two female partial qualifiers each season rule.
  • Appointment of Steve Hatchell as the Big 12 Commissioner. (He was the last SWC commissioner)
  • Lastly the Big 12 distributes football revenue as followed: 50 percent divided equally among the schools, the other 50 percent based on appearances. This is UT's fault because every year when Big 12 network talk, equity, and profit sharing come up Texas use there popularity as a reason to not do any of the above.

Opposite Texas actually had higher standards. The Big 8 allowed for lower academic standard and a lot of other school in their hatred for Nebraska used this as a way to minimize our successes.

Proposition 16 and 48 championed the change that required incoming freshmen athletes to have a high school diploma and a minimum grade-point average of 2.0 in 13 core academic courses.

(Now lets be honest - There are cases all over the country where we know that the kids couldn't read the word Nike if it didn't have the swoosh.)

The Big 8 sold out to UTerus, and basically handed the newly formed Big 12 over to them.

I wish NOTHING but ill will upon them.

i wish the city of austin gets nuked...then glassed, then nuked again, they lit on fire, and if anyone surrives treat them like zombies.

That's a truly awful and classless remark, especially in the wake of the plane flying into a building in Austin last week.

The Big 8 sold out to UTerus, and basically handed the newly formed Big 12 over to them.

i wish the city of austin gets nuked...then glassed, then nuked again, they lit on fire, and if anyone surrives treat them like zombies.

That's a truly awful and classless remark, especially in the wake of the plane flying into a building in Austin last week.

Srsly? :facepalm:

Geeshe, someone hand me my piss bomb....

:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

Geeshe, someone hand me my piss bomb....

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

CU throwin in some legit responses!!!!