Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda Husker

ESPY

Does anyone remember what happend to Farley after he left the team? If memory serves, I thought he just went back to Mississippi or Alabama and was never heard from again.

Not sure..

But this thread did get me interested in "whatever happened to Doug DuBose"

All I'm able to find is a couple years with the 49rs and these:

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/doug-dubose

SPORTS

February 14, 1990

Irving Fryar of the New England Patriots, a former Nebraska football player, denied a published report that he shared cocaine with Doug DuBose, a troubled former Cornhusker star running back. "I used marijuana through college," Fryar told the Omaha World-Herald, "but I didn't use cocaine until after my senior year in college, right before I got into the pros."

SPORTS

February 7, 1990

University of Nebraska football Coach Tom Osborne confirmed that former running back Doug DuBose tested positive for drugs several times and was treated for drug use while at Nebraska. Osborne was responding to statements by DuBose published in the Hartford (Conn.) Courant. DuBose told the Courant that he twice tested positive for drugs, was never suspended from the team and accepted about $50,000 in gifts from Nebraska boosters over a five-year period.

SPORTS

February 5, 1990

Irving Fryar, a wide receiver for the New England Patriots, has acknowledged that he used cocaine while playing at the University of Nebraska, the Hartford Courant reported. Fryar also said he helped introduce Nebraska teammate Doug DuBose to the drug. Fryar's comments came in a story profiling DuBose, who went on to the NFL but is now out of the league because of a seven-year-old cocaine habit. Fryar, who claims to be drug-free, said of DuBose's situation: "That could so easily have been me."

SPORTS

49ers' DuBose Is Suspended by NFL as Part of League's Get-Tough Policy

August 5, 1988

Running back Doug DuBose of the San Francisco 49ers has been suspended by the National Football League for 30 days, apparently because he failed a league drug test, 49er Coach Bill Walsh announced Thursday at Rocklin, Calif. Walsh said that DuBose's suspension is the result of the NFL's new get-tough policy this season. "He has been placed on non-football injury status and will be unable to participate in a game for 30 days," Walsh said. "He most likely will be able to practice within two weeks.

Thanks Doug- way to make the Huskers shine

Pretty cool that the LA times archives go back this far.

Does anyone remember what happend to Farley after he left the team? If memory serves, I thought he just went back to Mississippi or Alabama and was never heard from again.

Not sure..

SPORTS

February 14, 1990

Irving Fryar of the New England Patriots, a former Nebraska football player, denied a published report that he shared cocaine with Doug DuBose, a troubled former Cornhusker star running back. "I used marijuana through college," Fryar told the Omaha World-Herald, "but I didn't use cocaine until after my senior year in college, right before I got into the pros."

SPORTS

February 7, 1990

University of Nebraska football Coach Tom Osborne confirmed that former running back Doug DuBose tested positive for drugs several times and was treated for drug use while at Nebraska. Osborne was responding to statements by DuBose published in the Hartford (Conn.) Courant. DuBose told the Courant that he twice tested positive for drugs, was never suspended from the team and accepted about $50,000 in gifts from Nebraska boosters over a five-year period.

SPORTS

February 5, 1990

Irving Fryar, a wide receiver for the New England Patriots, has acknowledged that he used cocaine while playing at the University of Nebraska, the Hartford Courant reported. Fryar also said he helped introduce Nebraska teammate Doug DuBose to the drug. Fryar's comments came in a story profiling DuBose, who went on to the NFL but is now out of the league because of a seven-year-old cocaine habit. Fryar, who claims to be drug-free, said of DuBose's situation: "That could so easily have been me."

SPORTS

August 5, 1988

Running back Doug DuBose of the San Francisco 49ers has been suspended by the National Football League for 30 days, apparently because he failed a league drug test, 49er Coach Bill Walsh announced Thursday at Rocklin, Calif. Walsh said that DuBose's suspension is the result of the NFL's new get-tough policy this season. "He has been placed on non-football injury status and will be unable to participate in a game for 30 days," Walsh said. "He most likely will be able to practice within two weeks.

How about Fryar?

Always wondered if he owed someone some money and tried to throw the MNC against Miami.

Not sure..

SPORTS

February 14, 1990

SPORTS

February 7, 1990

SPORTS

February 5, 1990

SPORTS

August 5, 1988

How about Fryar?

Always wondered if he owed someone some money and tried to throw the MNC against Miami.

I've heard that about Fryar throwing the '84 Orange Bowl too, not sure if there's any truth to it though. He did drop that easy TD pass right before Jeff Smith scored the TD to bring us within 1 point. Maybe if he does catch that play Kenny Calhoun, who deflected the two point conversion pass, does not come off of Fryar on the play and Smith is able to catch the pass.... Regardless of if he actually did throw the game or not he has turned his life around from the drug use and last I heard he was a pastor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/31njcol.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Santino Panico - I mean, with his big two stars, scholarship offers from the likes of Eastern Michigan, that handsome face, and that name...who didn't think that he was going to be awesome? If he would have averaged 4.5 yards a return, then I think he officially would have lived up to the hype.

Did anyone mention Curt Dukes? :moreinteresting

EDIT: Answer: Yes.

Curt Freaking Dukes. That kid might have been one of the first ultra-hyped recruits when recruiting was just getting big. He lived in the weight room, benched 400 pounds, straight A student, crazy QB stats and built to run the Husker offense.

That was around, what, 2001? I think he even came in early to NU.

Bruce Mathison. QB, good arm, loads of talent. Never saw the field---in college, that is. Didn’t play much because he was a pro-style QB at NU in the early 80s. Sat on the bench behind Turner Gill. Went on to play five seasons in the NFL. Starting QB one year for Buffalo.

1. Terrel Farley- I think he was either adopted or in foster care as a child, but either way he had a tough childhood. Freakish ability to be around the ball. Had alot of demons

2. Kenny Wilson- seemed like he was going to break into the rotation and then that whole tv deal.

3. Cody Glenn- loved him as a running back, loved that he willing switched to LB, and then proof-gone

4. Joe Daily- kid was caught in a trap when BC came.

Easily my favorite Husker LB of all time. He just made opposing offenses look silly...

__0601167P_NEBRASKA_V_CO_02VZQ..jpg

I totally agree, Farley was a beast. He was great in the 95 season and set a trend for guys like Carlos Polk and Demario Williams of the future. Fast, tenacious linebackers who could cover a lot of ground.

I clearly remember Farley being the first defensive player I truly couldnt take my eyes off of...like there was a possibility I'd miss him literally killing someone on the field on any given play.

1. Terrel Farley- I think he was either adopted or in foster care as a child, but either way he had a tough childhood. Freakish ability to be around the ball. Had alot of demons

2. Kenny Wilson- seemed like he was going to break into the rotation and then that whole tv deal.

3. Cody Glenn- loved him as a running back, loved that he willing switched to LB, and then proof-gone

Easily my favorite Husker LB of all time. He just made opposing offenses look silly...

I totally agree, Farley was a beast. He was great in the 95 season and set a trend for guys like Carlos Polk and Demario Williams of the future. Fast, tenacious linebackers who could cover a lot of ground.

For a time I hung out with a number of the players back then, and a couple of weeks before Terrell got busted, a number of his teammates and I told him he shouldn't be drinkin and driving. In fact, Terrell was already in trouble with TO about drinking and driving before he got busted. We told him if TO finds out you're done for. His response was, "If any LPD pulls me over none of them cops are fast enough to catch me running." Well thats excatly what happened, he was so intoxicated that he pulled the car over and tried to run but couldn't and the cops caught him in a foot pursuit. I'll never forget him bragging that no cop in town could catch him. When Terrell left UNL he hired an agent. When he got off the plane in Atlanta GA the agent drove him to a Toyota dealership and said, pick out whatever you want. Terrel chose a Land Cruiser. I know he went through a few camps but never got on with any team in the pros. Thats the last I heard of him. I still keep in contact with a few of the players who were asociated with that group and none of them have heard from him.

He was an outstanding player and had a hell of a sense of humor, but lacked any common sense whatsoever. Just thought I'd throw out that story about how I personally witnessed a player of his caliber go straight to the top while he was here, and then fall so far. For a person like me who never had his talent on the field it was very sad to see him pi$$ it all away. I could tell a ton of stories about Terrell and the dumb $hit he did.

For a time I hung out with a number of the players back then, and a couple of weeks before Terrell got busted, a number of his teammates and I told him he shouldn't be drinkin and driving. In fact, Terrell was already in trouble with TO about drinking and driving before he got busted. We told him if TO finds out you're done for. His response was, "If any LPD pulls me over none of them cops are fast enough to catch me running." Well thats excatly what happened, he was so intoxicated that he pulled the car over and tried to run but couldn't and the cops caught him in a foot pursuit. I'll never forget him bragging that no cop in town could catch him. When Terrell left UNL he hired an agent. When he got off the plane in Atlanta GA the agent drove him to a Toyota dealership and said, pick out whatever you want. Terrel chose a Land Cruiser. I know he went through a few camps but never got on with any team in the pros. Thats the last I heard of him. I still keep in contact with a few of the players who were asociated with that group and none of them have heard from him.

He was an outstanding player and had a hell of a sense of humor, but lacked any common sense whatsoever. Just thought I'd throw out that story about how I personally witnessed a player of his caliber go straight to the top while he was here, and then fall so far. For a person like me who never had his talent on the field it was very sad to see him pi$$ it all away. I could tell a ton of stories about Terrell and the dumb $hit he did.

Thanks, he was easily one of my favorites although I can't exactly remember how long he was in Nebraska. He was a juco to begin with, and I don't really remember alot of hype about him before he arrived. The minute I saw him play, I knew he was "my" Husker. I had a jersey printed with Farley on it, which was a joke amoung my friends because my first name is Kris and when I wore it(all the time) they would reference me as"There's ole Chris Farley." Probably had to be there to find it funny but we sure did.

Not sure..

SPORTS

February 14, 1990

SPORTS

February 7, 1990

SPORTS

February 5, 1990

SPORTS

August 5, 1988

How about Fryar?

I've heard that about Fryar throwing the '84 Orange Bowl too, not sure if there's any truth to it though. He did drop that easy TD pass right before Jeff Smith scored the TD to bring us within 1 point. Maybe if he does catch that play Kenny Calhoun, who deflected the two point conversion pass, does not come off of Fryar on the play and Smith is able to catch the pass.... Regardless of if he actually did throw the game or not he has turned his life around from the drug use and last I heard he was a pastor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/31njcol.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Fryar and Brimstone <---link

Another good read..For those willing to take the bad with the good.

When I heard "Preacher" I thought "Televangelest" or other crooked types that probably cause more harm than good, but after reading the whole article, I believe he's really turned it around.

At Nebraska, Fryar, now strictly a wide-out, was a cog in maybe the best Corn-husker offense ever: tailback Mike Rozier, quarterback Turner Gill and a national championship if not for a one-point loss to Miami in the 1984 Orange Bowl. At Nebraska, Fryar also got a head start on one of the longest police records in football. He broke down the door to the apartment of his girlfriend, Martha Florence, and, according to Florence, beat her. "He had such a temper," remembers Florence. "He had these two Dobermans, and he'd get angry at them and just fling them against the wall. I think he underestimated how much pressure would be on him playing college football."

He has admitted that he used cocaine in college; Florence says Fryar got high the night before that '84 Orange Bowl. And according to the book Big Red Confidential: Inside Nebraska Football, by Armen Keteyian, Fryar deliberately dropped a pass in the Orange Bowl to throw the game. (No charges were ever filed in the matter.)

It was just after a rocking sermon by the Reverend William E. Dickerson, himself a former angel-dust user, and just before the gospel choir broke into a floorboard shaker. In the ruckus of a spiritual 7.0 on the Richter scale, Dickerson called on sinners to come to the altar and "give themselves to Jesus," and Fryar strode up from the back of the church, tears in the corners of his eyes. "I knew," he says. "After the Hart Lee thing, I knew anything else I did was going to turn to mush. I had nowhere else to go."

Dickerson yelled, "Father, in the name of Jesus, bless this man and totally deliver him from all..." and just then he put his hand on Fryar's forehead, and it was as though Dickerson had blindsided Fryar on a down-and-in thrown too high. Fryar's feet swung out from under him, and his head hit the linoleum, and he began speaking in tongues, spouting a kind of gibberish that nobody, especially Fryar, had heard before. It lasted a full 30 minutes, according to Dickerson, and finally Fryar got up off the floor, shook the preacher's hand and changed his life.

"I wouldn't believe it if I weren't sitting here telling you about it," Fryar says. "I had the Holy Ghost inside of me."

Thanks, he was easily one of my favorites although I can't exactly remember how long he was in Nebraska. He was a juco to begin with, and I don't really remember alot of hype about him before he arrived. The minute I saw him play, I knew he was "my" Husker. I had a jersey printed with Farley on it, which was a joke amoung my friends because my first name is Kris and when I wore it(all the time) they would reference me as"There's ole Chris Farley." Probably had to be there to find it funny but we sure did.

Another funny story about Terrell, after the Fiesta Bowl and his famous sack of Wuerffel, when he came back to Lincoln he had a number of pictures printed up of him sacking Wuerffel. For the longest time he had a stack of these pictures that he carried everywhere with him and would autograph them in a moments notice. Often times you didn't even have to ask for one and he'd give it to you. I mean it was a good sized 8x10 picture. Needless to say I don't even have one anymore because at the time we all looked at it as more of a joke than anything, which was Terrells intent!