DT Isiah Norton *

Nexus

Evaluation

By Brandon Cavanaugh

Speculation and rumor are part of what makes that long period between seasons fun, but some talk that appears to be spreading across Husker Nation is that a big time Texas Defensive Tackle may find himself amongst the Cornhusker commit list. Quoted as being a “light verbal” to Nebraska, Isiah Norton out of Dallas, Texas’ Kimball High School seems fairly enamored with the Big Red right now and why not? In the spirit of fairness, I thought I’d take a look at some early film of Norton to see just what the big fella brings to the table.

The first thing I thought when watching Norton’s film front to back was: “Suh”. Norton’s commitment and eventual work through the program should he become a Cornhusker will be the Pelini brothers’ attempt to clone Ndamkuong Suh. Norton is big (6’5” 290), he is fast and he doesn’t let a little thing like being held get in his way. Again, hear that somewhere before?

While Kimball High may not be in the Big XII, Norton does a fine Suh impression on its’ opposition’s offensive lines. His awareness is very keen for a junior. There’s an old adage that if you’re thinking during a play, you shouldn’t be playing. Norton is very read and react. This plays to his advantage almost too well. The big man shrugs through two men to get to the quarterback, jolts into open space at a running back like he was shot out of a cannon and does not stop on a play until the ball carrier is down and I mean DOWN, Jack.

Oh, I forgot to mention he does this thing fairly well. It’s called pass coverage. Adding even more hype to the Norton name (look at what site you’re on), this big man can not only track down a running back or sift through to get to a quarterback, but proves doubly efficient against passers as he reads eyes to an impressive level and goes for the pick.

So, let’s review:

1.) Massive beast man: Check

2.) Excellent speed: Check

3.) Makes plays despite being held: Check (and useful in the Big XII)

4.) Plays pass coverage and swats/attempts to pick

…yes, I think I would take this kid in a heartbeat, lock him in the weight room with Dobson for a year and unleash him on the poor offensive backfields of the Big XII. Hey kid, you like Nebraska? I think Nebraska’d love to have you. You remind us of someone we know.

http://www.hothuskers.com/huskerhype/initial-recruit-evaluation-isiah-norton/

Thanks for sharing that. That evaluation was awesome.

Good read. Can't wait until Suh Jr commits.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

any news on this guys

Didnt make it for the spring game, will probably take an official visit here, could see him committing to nebraska by the mid point of the season.

After reading the posts on this recruit in this thread, I say he commits to being no. 8 by the end of this month.

Now is it just me or did most people talk like this kid was going to be N quite a while ago?

A lot of people jumped the gun when he said he almost committed upon receiving the offer. We all know how Bo recruits, telling kids to wait and make sure they make the right and FINAL decision. We are still in on this kid.

Agreed, we are probably still his top choice, by mid season or earlier I would not be surprised to see him commit to us. I am not saying his going to for sure, just would not surprise me.

we stopped by to see him in the spring evaluation but his coach said tht he wants to play right away and not redshirt so i dont really think he has us up tht far anymore but who noes

If he's willing to earn his spot like everyone else, then bring him in. If he expects Bo & Co. to just hand him the starting job, then he might wanna look elsewhere. Either way I wish the kid luck wherever he goes.

• 1 month later...
ISIAH NORTON, DT, 6-5, 300, 5.1, DALLAS (KIMBALL), TEXAS

Miami The Leader

“I might visit Nebraska and Arizona State,” Norton said. “I’m waiting on Miami to give me the OK. Miami hasn’t offered me yet but they are supposed to, they want to watch some of my film this season. I’ve been to Miami it was nice I liked everything about it.”

“Miami came to my school and they like me a lot. If Miami offers me they would be my leader and probably commit to them.” Norton said

Enjoyed Trip To Nebraska

“I’ve been to Nebraska one time for a basketball tournament in Kearney then made the trip to Lincoln to see the coaches. Nebraska coaches told me that they wanted me real bad become a Nebraska Cornhusker.” Norton said

“I really liked the facilities and how the coaches teach their players. The Pelini’s told me I was a hard working player and never give up.” Norton said

Will Visit The Huskers This Fall

“I’m going to Nebraska in the fall for a visit they haven’t gave me the OK they (coaches) been on break so no one has answered the phone.” Norton said

“I think Nebraska will overrule when they go to the Big 10. It would be exciting to play in that conference.” Norton said

Sun Devils In The Mix

“I’m going to Arizona State this fall.” Norton said. “They have a good defensive coordinator (Craig Bray) he came to my school in May and seems like a good guy. Arizona State coaches said I could play early but I want to redshirt so I can get bigger.”

LINK