ESPN does it again

Ubben joined ESPN.com in March 2010 after covering Big 12 football for two seasons at the Columbia Missourian and The Oklahoman. Ubben, a native of Springdale, Ark., lives in Dallas.

OK, so his pedigree is MU. He also has in his power ratings for the conference ISU at 12th but also #5 in the North behind CU. McCoy could be better than Suh.

I am not ready to call him a Husker hater yet (he does have NU top in the north, but #3 overall). His logic, though is on a par with the former ESPN Big 12 blogger.

Not that I'm eager to rush to this guy's defense, but we haven't shown much on offense for a full season, and we just graduated the best D-Lineman we've had in decades (if not ever) and our best LB and Safety. Until we prove that we can 1) move the ball competently, 2) score points, and 3) still play top-notch defense, it's not unjustifiable to have us #3 in the conference.

I think it is hard for him to argue that McCoy was better than Suh since he even said this past week in his first post for ESPN that he was politicking for Suh for Heisman. How can he argue that Suh should be the heisman winner if he isn't even sure he is the best player at his position?

So far I like the volume of posts that he is making, especially for Spring ball. Hopefully he will have at least five or six posts a day during the season. My biggest faults with Tim Griffin were that he would seem to post a lot at once or right before he signed off for the day instead of posting throughout the day.

The only thing I've seen so far that I don't like is his article stating that Nebraska "finally made it back to the Big 12 title game after a two-year run by Missouri representing the North." Maybe I'm paranoid, but it made me mad that he was plugging Missouri in a Nebraska segment. Also, he never includes any links in his articles which concern Nebraska. Finally, he slipped up a bit by calling Crick a senior in one of his articles. Other than these things, I can't complain.

Not that I'm eager to rush to this guy's defense, but we haven't shown much on offense for a full season, and we just graduated the best D-Lineman we've had in decades (if not ever) and our best LB and Safety. Until we prove that we can 1) move the ball competently, 2) score points, and 3) still play top-notch defense, it's not unjustifiable to have us #3 in the conference.

Yeah, that's a good point.

With an offense as grossly inept as ours is, getting 3rd ranking in the BigXII is fair enough.

What I am concerned about is the guy isn't logical and might not be consistant. He might be a blogger that will say what ever is currently in vogue. True, you can change your mind - but back it up with reasons why you changed your mind.

Big 12 North rankings

5. Iowa State

Paul Rhoads’ team showed progress in 2009, finishing the season with a win over Minnesota in the Insight Bowl for the program’s first winning season since 2005. He’ll try to improve on that with only four defensive starters returning this season.

Quarterback Austen Arnaud and running back Alexander Robinson return, but on the Cyclones’ schedule, so do Oklahoma and Texas. They’ll also face Utah, Iowa and Northern Illinois in nonconference games. Returning to a bowl for a second consecutive season won’t be easy.

6. Colorado

The Buffaloes didn’t earn much respect around the conference after giving up 54 points to Toledo in an early-season loss in 2009. They finished with three close losses at Iowa State and Oklahoma State before finishing the season with a home loss to North champ Nebraska.

If Colorado wants to dig itself out of the North basement, it’ll need Tyler Hansen to play like he did in the first half of a win over Kansas in Hansen’s first start, when the Buffaloes charged to a 24-3 second-quarter lead behind two Hansen touchdowns.

Overall Big 12

11. Colorado

Tyler Hansen and Toney Clemons bring some excitement to the Buffaloes spring, but the offensive line is also a concern. Maxwell Tuioti-Mariner returns from injury to help talented lineman Nate Solder protect Hansen and pave the way for running back Rodney Stewart, one of just three scholarship backs who will practice this spring.

12. Iowa State

The Cyclones depleted defense (only four starters return) could make it tough for Austen Arnaud to produce wins no matter how well he plays. Plenty of spots up for grabs there, and linebacker Jake Knott is one to watch as a new starter. Paul Rhoads impressed with a bowl win last season, but what does it say about a team when its best win (Nebraska) came by only two points when it forced eight turnovers and committed none?

The only thing I've seen so far that I don't like is his article stating that Nebraska "finally made it back to the Big 12 title game after a two-year run by Missouri representing the North." Maybe I'm paranoid, but it made me mad that he was plugging Missouri in a Nebraska segment. Also, he never includes any links in his articles which concern Nebraska. Finally, he slipped up a bit by calling Crick a senior in one of his articles. Other than these things, I can't complain.

I wouldn't get too worried about the fact that this "journalist" graduated from Missouri. Keep in mind Missery has one of the largest and most prestigious journalism departments in the country.

:yeah Totally agree with all of this statement. We have a lot to prove this year before we will get any real respect on offense.

What I am concerned about is the guy isn't logical and might not be consistant. He might be a blogger that will say what ever is currently in vogue. True, you can change your mind - but back it up with reasons why you changed your mind.

Big 12 North rankings

5. Iowa State

Paul Rhoads’ team showed progress in 2009, finishing the season with a win over Minnesota in the Insight Bowl for the program’s first winning season since 2005. He’ll try to improve on that with only four defensive starters returning this season.

Quarterback Austen Arnaud and running back Alexander Robinson return, but on the Cyclones’ schedule, so do Oklahoma and Texas. They’ll also face Utah, Iowa and Northern Illinois in nonconference games. Returning to a bowl for a second consecutive season won’t be easy.

6. Colorado

The Buffaloes didn’t earn much respect around the conference after giving up 54 points to Toledo in an early-season loss in 2009. They finished with three close losses at Iowa State and Oklahoma State before finishing the season with a home loss to North champ Nebraska.

If Colorado wants to dig itself out of the North basement, it’ll need Tyler Hansen to play like he did in the first half of a win over Kansas in Hansen’s first start, when the Buffaloes charged to a 24-3 second-quarter lead behind two Hansen touchdowns.

Overall Big 12

11. Colorado

Tyler Hansen and Toney Clemons bring some excitement to the Buffaloes spring, but the offensive line is also a concern. Maxwell Tuioti-Mariner returns from injury to help talented lineman Nate Solder protect Hansen and pave the way for running back Rodney Stewart, one of just three scholarship backs who will practice this spring.

12. Iowa State

The Cyclones depleted defense (only four starters return) could make it tough for Austen Arnaud to produce wins no matter how well he plays. Plenty of spots up for grabs there, and linebacker Jake Knott is one to watch as a new starter. Paul Rhoads impressed with a bowl win last season, but what does it say about a team when its best win (Nebraska) came by only two points when it forced eight turnovers and committed none?

Apparently 95% of this business is makin' sh*t up....

• 2 weeks later...

From Ubben's blog today (Friday 19th)

Welcome to The Mailbag where -- and Im not exaggerating -- 75 percent of the questions came from Nebraska fans.

Lincoln really is immune to hoops fever, isnt it?

Ill resist the urge to make this a highlight reel of complaints (of varying levels of intensity/unintentional humor) about the lack of North coverage and get started.

He better get used to it