QB Situation

Cody Green needs a chance to be Cody Green. Relatively speaking, I think he is the most talented QB on the roster. He did fine against Baylor in the first half, but then the coaches clammed up with the play calling in the second half and he didn't have much of a shot to show us anything. And against OU...come on, it was OU. One of the best defenses in the country..in his second start as a true freshman. You can't knock him for that. And it's not like Zac came in and saveds the day against OU. The Holiday Bowl argument for Zac Lee is completely invalid to me, Zac went 13/23 (less than 60%) for 173 yards, 74 of which were on one play where the corner covering Niles bit hard on the playfake. And two of Zac's passes in that game were easy picks that Zona DBs simply dropped. Of course Zac deserves a big break due to the torn flexor tendon, but how many players have we seen fall off after injuries.

As for Martinez...his arm is still suspect. If he had a decent arm he would have been recruited as a QB, not a safety. And eventually the coaches will realize we need a good passer who can run second, rather than a run first guy. Maybe that's Spano..but you have to present the surgery argument for him too. We have 2 very good receivers in Paul and Kinnie, we need someone who can get them the ball, not a guy for them to block for.

I frankly don't care one whit who our QB is. Lee, Green, Washington, Martinez, Carnes, Kellogg, Spano... just don't care. If they move the ball, score TDs instead of FGs, don't turn the ball over and have the respect of their teammates, that's good enough for me. The name on the jersey is irrelevant.

PREFECT I could not agree more!

I'm sure Tay-Mart is a heck of an athlete. So he could do great things at a number of positions. But to be a QB in this offense, he's going to need a LOT more than that. I'm sure maybe he gives both Tommie and TO some flashbacks to the option QBs like Crouch, but that's not the offense we have built here. Even if 2001 Eric Crouch stepped on campus he would probably be best at a different position, since the other 10 guys on that field aren't built for the same kind of football.

Well, that might be a stretch actually. Crouch was really a pretty good passer if I recall. Don't think you can say the same about TM unless he's developed in leaps and bounds.

Crouch was a really good passer - if by passer you mean he passed a lot of people while running because he was really fast.

That is what you meant, right? Or else I'll have what you're having ;). :sarcasm (sarcasm in reference to use of "something" - no sarcasm when talking about Crouch's lack of throwing ability).

Remember, he couldn't even pitch the ball properly - he bent Diedricks facemask how many times during his final year?

That's simply not true. He wasn't an option pitcher of a S. Frost caliber who else was? He wasn't a bad option qb at all but when pitching to D. Alexander & C. Buckhalter well....unless super glue was on the ball some of them were going to be dropped.

sheesh... I know Green didn't light the world on fire, but the way some of you are making him sound, he has no business even showing up to practice anymore.

He was in his first year of a HORRIBLE offense... we had beat up RB's, a sub par offensive line, and WR's that were being demoted to scout team left and right. Imagine being 17 years old, thrown into a big time college spotlight randomly throughout the ball game.... I bet you stare down receivers and miss them as well.

He will make significant strides during year two, QB's always do (especially in a complex offense)

If Lee and Green were really close at times last year, what makes you think Green won't make major progress while Lee is recovering? Lee's "dominating" performance against a team that literally gave up during their bowl game?

I'm not a green sunshine pumper, never have been, I just don't get how fans can gain such a strong bias towards certain players.

Cody Green needs a chance to be Cody Green. Relatively speaking, I think he is the most talented QB on the roster. He did fine against Baylor in the first half, but then the coaches clammed up with the play calling in the second half and he didn't have much of a shot to show us anything. And against OU...come on, it was OU. One of the best defenses in the country..in his second start as a true freshman. You can't knock him for that. And it's not like Zac came in and saveds the day against OU. The Holiday Bowl argument for Zac Lee is completely invalid to me, Zac went 13/23 (less than 60%) for 173 yards, 74 of which were on one play where the corner covering Niles bit hard on the playfake. And two of Zac's passes in that game were easy picks that Zona DBs simply dropped. Of course Zac deserves a big break due to the torn flexor tendon, but how many players have we seen fall off after injuries.

As for Martinez...his arm is still suspect. If he had a decent arm he would have been recruited as a QB, not a safety. And eventually the coaches will realize we need a good passer who can run second, rather than a run first guy. Maybe that's Spano..but you have to present the surgery argument for him too. We have 2 very good receivers in Paul and Kinnie, we need someone who can get them the ball, not a guy for them to block for.

We won a LOT of games with run 1st qbs Frost, Frazier, Crouch, Lord, etc. I also don't ever remember our run 1st offense looking anything as dismal as our "multiple" 09 offense. Do you?

Because making "significant strides" is never going to be a given.

We assume Green has all the talent, he just hasn't shown it yet because he was a true freshman. He was a true freshman, granted. That doesn't mean he's got it or that he will develop.

To say the very least, it's going to be an interesting spring/summer. Going into the season, we'll have Lee who hasn't practiced since December, and Green who will have led the offense through spring practice. Not exactly an ideal situation considering how "green" Green looked this year. Also, assuming that Lee really was hurt that badly all season, we don't really know what he can do. Barring an epic spring and pre-season of practice by Green, I still think the job is Lee's to lose.

Cody Green had better of made marked improvements from last year because he was not ready for the big time. One run against Arkansas State and one throw against Texas Tech don't prove anything. The job is Lee's to lose and if the Holiday Bowl Lee shows up then he won't lose it. IMO – Spano, Washington, and Kellogg are non-factors. Spano because I find it hard to believe that after two knee surgeries he is anywhere near what he once was, Washington because he hasn't played yet so why would he next year, and Kellogg is a long shot unless he has made leaps and bounds from when he was playing High School ball.

FWIW: If Lee has a solid year and Carnes or Turner are as good as advertised it is possible Cody Green never starts another game at NU. If that happened there would be a lot of "leg humpers" :leghump: around here that would have to change their signatures. <_<

:laughpound

Injury shminjury! ZL is not enough. If someone doesn't rise above him, we are in deep do-do. He has zero running ability. He is average as a thrower. The injury is overrated. He could still throw a spiral 50 yards without falling to the ground in agony. Just because you need post season surgery doesn't mean you were hampered to a serious degree. He threw behind guys before he was hurt. It never looked like he had any arm strength. Will a real Nebraska quarterback please stand up. :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

• Fire 1

I am surprise too by how many people are ready to basically throw in the towel on a true fresheman who is what?....17 or 18 years old? How many snaps did he take? Geez, cut the kid some slack.

Nobody is willing to give a junior, who had prior to this year taken only 4 snaps in his college career. Why should the bar be lowered for Green? He played 9 games this year, two of those as a starter, and really hadn't showed any improvement as the year progressed. He was given another opportunity on two drives in the bowl game, both starting in good field position, and didn't really impress anyone there either with both drives being stalled, when NU was scoring at will on previous possessions.

There's no doubt Green can throw a bullet. He just doesn't have any control when he launches it. People just need to take off the blinders, and figure out he isn't the second coming of Tommie Frasier. In reality, I wouldn't be surprised if Spano passes Green on the depth chart just as he did prior to re-injuring himself last year.

I do think Green has the potential to be a really good QB down the line. He just needs to mature into the role.

I don't think saying that Green needs to improve drastically means that people are writing him off or throwing in the towel. If you ask me it is a fact and was painfully obvious last year that he had a ways to go. If people were saying he has no chance of improving and will never get better then that would be writing him off. I don't see that going on though.

FWIW: I think some folks grew tired of all the hype that was being shoved around last year about the kid and when he didnt produce at all they established an uneasy feeling about him being the quarterback of the future.

I don't think saying that Green needs to improve drastically means that people are writing him off or throwing in the towel. If you ask me it is a fact and was painfully obvious last year that he had a ways to go. If people were saying he has no chance of improving and will never get better then that would be writing him off. I don't see that going on though.

Agreed. Many, many of us wanted him to redshirt. He's still very young, still growing into his body. This kid could very well light it up this year, he could need another year of seasoning, or he could be a bust. Still too early to tell, even after a full season.