Can the defense be better in 2010?

I'm in the camp that says the defense will be better, but for different reason. Namely, the secondary and the pass-rush. Personally, I don't know if there's a QB out there next year that could do better than 50% completion against our guys. What's everyone else think?

they will be a better total defense mostly because the offense will be better therefor the defense wont have to be on the field as much.

now i would definitely say that there are qbs that could and will complete better than 50% of passes but there will be others that wont as well. like it or not, our safeties are pretty unknown overall..

they will be a better total defense mostly because the offense will be better therefor the defense wont have to be on the field as much.

now i would definitely say that there are qbs that could and will complete better than 50% of passes but there will be others that wont as well. like it or not, our safeties are pretty unknown overall..

OK maybe it was a little rash to say "there's not a QB out there...", but seriously though, in the Big12, i can't think of anyone. Jerrod Johnson maybe? I don't see Gabbert doing it. Only 4 QBs did it last year; ULL, ASU, TTU, and UT. Those first two were even before we played in the dime. And Sheffield was the top rated passer nationally until he got hurt

• Fire 1

OK maybe it was a little rash to say "there's not a QB out there...", but seriously though, in the Big12, i can't think of anyone. Jerrod Johnson maybe? I don't see Gabbert doing it. Only 4 QBs did it last year; ULL, ASU, TTU, and UT. Those first two were even before we played in the dime. And Sheffield was the top rated passer nationally until he got hurt

I think Gabbert will have the best shot of completing more than 50% of his passes. Even though it's a tired/redundant story that we here from Missouri fans, the ankle and weather were factors that favored us, considering if they can't get the ball moving through the air then they are s.o.l. I think Gabbert, Jones, and Johnson are going to be the three best QB's in the league next year.

I think we will see less of the 4-0-7 sets this year, we may have to use mulitiple linebackers to help with the run but overall our defense will be better.

As someone mentioned in another thread, I think we'll go back to something similar to 2003 where we were constantly shooting Super D & Hollowell with great success. Bo will pick a couple a rockets and go after them.

I think we'll know where we're at without question after the Idaho game. Second game of the season, featuring an offense that moves the ball quite well and features a Nebraska native (Nate Enderle) eager to play in front of his home-state fans and four different wideouts who caught 30 or more passes in 2009. This figures to be a pretty stiff test for the Blackshirts, since Enderle hasn't thrown for less than 50% completions since 10/2008 when he was a redshirt Sophomore.

In the 16 games since his last sub-50% passing day, Enderle has thrown for 3,400 yards and 27 TDs vs. only 15 INTs. Now, that's only against a strength of schedule ranking 95th in the nation, so it's not cause for alarm, but it's a solid reason to pay attention to this guy.

If we hold Enderle under 50% and mostly out of the endzone we'll know we're in good shape for the Big 12.

I think we'll know where we're at without question after the Idaho game. Second game of the season, featuring an offense that moves the ball quite well and features a Nebraska native (Nate Enderle) eager to play in front of his home-state fans and four different wideouts who caught 30 or more passes in 2009. This figures to be a pretty stiff test for the Blackshirts, since Enderle hasn't thrown for less than 50% completions since 10/2008 when he was a redshirt Sophomore.

In the 16 games since his last sub-50% passing day, Enderle has thrown for 3,400 yards and 27 TDs vs. only 15 INTs. Now, that's only against a strength of schedule ranking 95th in the nation, so it's not cause for alarm, but it's a solid reason to pay attention to this guy.

If we hold Enderle under 50% and mostly out of the endzone we'll know we're in good shape for the Big 12.

Excellent points about that matchup with Idaho. I don't know why people think that's gonna be such a cakewalk for us b/c that team knows how to score. They're defense is weak, so I see us putting up 35+. But, we'll have our hands full with that passing game of theirs.

As far as the defense being better than last year, I say "NO" because that Suh-led D was one of the top 3 defenses in Nebraska history. One of the reasons that D was so incredible was how rarely they allowed opposing offenses to score TDs once they'd got inside our 30-yard line - we were the consumate "bend don't break" defense that imposed its will to the point of becoming arguably the nation's best redzone D. Slice it any way you want, I just don't see that happening again without a player like Suh.

IMO we're in for a rude awakening on D, in spite of the swagger & coaching. I know we don't expect to see this, but I think the offense is gonna need to save our butts in at least 3 or 4 games this season. On paper it would appear our D will be more susceptible to the big plays due to the lack of experience at safety, especially on plays when we blitz LBs or DBs (from nickel & dime packages). Sure, we look pretty solid across the board, but the loss of those 4 seniors is bound to hurt us a couple times. Just sayin...

Excellent points about that matchup with Idaho. I don't know why people think that's gonna be such a cakewalk for us b/c that team knows how to score. They're defense is weak, so I see us putting up 35+. But, we'll have our hands full with that passing game of theirs.

As far as the defense being better than last year, I say "NO" because that Suh-led D was one of the top 3 defenses in Nebraska history. One of the reasons that D was so incredible was how rarely they allowed opposing offenses to score TDs once they'd got inside our 30-yard line - we were the consumate "bend don't break" defense that imposed its will to the point of becoming arguably the nation's best redzone D. Slice it any way you want, I just don't see that happening again without a player like Suh.

IMO we're in for a rude awakening on D, in spite of the swagger & coaching. I know we don't expect to see this, but I think the offense is gonna need to save our butts in at least 3 or 4 games this season. On paper it would appear our D will be more susceptible to the big plays due to the lack of experience at safety, especially on plays when we blitz LBs or DBs (from nickel & dime packages). Sure, we look pretty solid across the board, but the loss of those 4 seniors is bound to hurt us a couple times. Just sayin...

Maybe in the first couple of games, but as soon as this years defense finds their groove like last years D did they will be fine. and the safetys will have alot of help with the depth at corner we have, and overall experience that the secondray has. By the time Big 12 play rolls around we should be clicking as a whole on defense, Bo will make adjustments if needed (its nice to have a coaching staff that actually makes adjustments during a game, unlike a certain staff before Bo and Co).

I mostly agree with what you are saying but I don't know that I'd go as far as saying that we are in for a "rude awakening." I think the defense will drop off with the loss of Suh, Dillard, O'Hanlon, and Asante (in that order) but I fully expect Bo to field a Top 20 defense. Should be fun to watch. I will say one thing . . . if the defensive line produces numbers even close to last season . . . Bo, Carl, and company are without question the best defensive line coaches in college football.