The Peso Defense

i understand its the offseason, but still...way too much is being made of this i believe. Its not like this is some new major development. Youre going to have two legit linebackers, and a guy like Hagg lining up next to them on the the strong side or wherever hes needed. Names changed, but the song remains the same.

And that's the key. Hagg makes this defense possible. Without a guy who could legitimately double as a LB while playing Safety, The Bros. Pelini aren't fool enough to run this defense.

I wouldn't be surprised that if Hagg gets hurt, we go back to a 4-3.

Personel wise, this doesn't seem much different than the defenses we ran back in the 90's with small LBs like Farley, Williams, McFarlin, E. Johnson, etc. Schematically, it may be different, but with the wealth of talent we have as DBs, if Hagg goes down, look for a guy like Gomes or Cassidy to fill in.

It sounds like people havent been reading the same articles I have... the Peso is simply a personnel change in order to cut down on the need to sub players in and out. By having Hagg/Cassidy in the coaches can call a base defense (4-3) or a nickel and we do not get caught needing to sub. They will have all the same defensive calls, there are slightly different assignments, but otherwise no real change beyond personnel on the field.

Links:

Omaha World Herald

Lincoln Journal Star

That article from bigrednetwork nice and all, but how many big backs are we going to face next year that could take advantage? 2 (Opurum and Thomas from our neighbors down south)? Idaho's a mainly passing team, so's a majority of the rest of the teams we face. Washington has a more pro-style, but do they have an RB that can run it down our throats? Texas, even though they say they want to focus more on running, will still probably be a passing team. A&M might do something, but they don't have a power back.

The point is that it might be a concern, but who do we face that can take advantage of it?

That article from bigrednetwork nice and all, but how many big backs are we going to face next year that could take advantage? 2 (Opurum and Thomas from our neighbors down south)? Idaho's a mainly passing team, so's a majority of the rest of the teams we face. Washington has a more pro-style, but do they have an RB that can run it down our throats? Texas, even though they say they want to focus more on running, will still probably be a passing team. A&M might do something, but they don't have a power back.

The point is that it might be a concern, but who do we face that can take advantage of it?

I think that Christine or whatever his name is from A&M is pretty good and pretty big if I remember correctly.

Opurem and Thomas will be the biggest "threats" to take advantage of the peso. But neither of those teams will have much of any other offense (especially KSU) that will truly be able to threaten. Yeah, Thomas was half of KSU's offense in that game... and now banks is gone to take away the other half. It'lll be interesting to see what Turner wants to do on offense at KU, so I'll wait and see what he does before I say much more about KU.

I think that Christine or whatever his name is from A&M is pretty good and pretty big if I remember correctly.

He's an excellent back, but not too big. 5'11" and around 200lbs. Ive said it before, and Ill say it again...Texas A&M is the team im most worried about on this coming years schedule.

He's an excellent back, but not too big. 5'11" and around 200lbs. Ive said it before, and Ill say it again...Texas A&M is the team im most worried about on this coming years schedule.

I've been hearing similar sentiments lately, but I just can't shake the sense that A&M will be this season's Baylor. Tough on paper, but one injury away from being thrust back into the cellar.

They lose Johnson and I don't like there chances. He pretty much carried them through the Texas game all by himself. I think A&M is only going to have 8 or 9 wins next year.

Only 8 or 9 wins? Considering how bad A&M has played lately, I would bet most Aggies fans would kill for a 9 win season!