conference alignment

Tonight i've really been bothered by the fact that we don't play oklahoma every year. It normally never really bothered me but I would really like to see it happen year in and year out. So I was thinking about a possible alignment that would let us do so. I couldn't really think of anything really attractive in terms of expansion but what if we downsized? take 2 teams out and do like the pac 10 does and play 9 conference games (everyone goes head to head) and 3 non conference?

thoughts?

I would support any idea that puts the nu vs ou match up on thanksgiving or the day after. Just another thought if mu goest to the big 10 and cu bolts for the pac 10, we add any two of the following arkansas, tcu, smu and bump ou and osu to the north. That way we still have the classic husker/sooner match every year.

Or, the Big 12 could just realign the teams within themselves without dropping or adding teams. Here is one possible solution

Big 12 North:

Oklahoma

Nebraska

Oklahoma State

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas State

Big 12 South:

Texas

Texas Tech

Baylor

Missouri

Texas A&M

Kansas

With that order, you can still keep all the Texas teams together but you can split the Oklahoma teams up to the North to provide deeper competition. Again, this is just one possible combination.

I'm going to play devils advocate here.

What happens to the Texas/Oklahoma game then? That is just as big of a rivalry in all of college football and you are breaking that up. Look, I understand Oklahoma/Nebraska (went to the 1995, 2001 and 2009 games, all wins! :D), but it just has not been the same rivalry that Texas/Oklahoma has been lately.

Sure that might be because Texas and Oklahoma play every year, but it just seems that either way you look at it, you will be breaking up a rivalry one way or the other.

Texas-Oklahoma originated in 1900 and we didn't start playing Oklahoma until 1912, even though there were some off-years early on.

I don't think there would be a way to keep us playing Oklahoma each year and have a fair rotation of two other teams in the Big XII South. I like to look at things through our prospective, but the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry hasn't been what it used to be. Sure, 2000 and 2001 were great years. But again, those happened when it was us in the north and them in the south. The 90's were all Nebraska though. In the 2000's we went 2-5 against them (yes I know, we had our "worst decade" ever, but still) it is just not what it used to be. I realize there was the 80's, the 70's as well, and those is what a rivalry is based on, but the Big XII killed any chance of being continued. Even with adding a team to the south, and moving Oklahoma North with a North school going somewhere else, is still hard because then you lose the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry. It would be interesting to as Oklahoma fans which rivalry they would rather have though, Texas or Nebraska.

I'd love for it to get back to it's roots. I would hope there would be a way where Texas and Oklahoma could be in the same division, but where we are able to keep our "Rivalry game" with Oklahoma each year and rotate out two other south teams.

I don't think that would work, but either way, you are destroying one rivalry, and lately, the Texas-Oklahoma rivalry is bigger than the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry, and that maybe due to seasonal play or Nebraska just being down in the 2000's or separated, but that's how I see it, one rivalry will be lost.

Three words: Red River Shootout

The Big 12 loves that game and there will be no realignment that doesn't include Texas and OU in the same division.

True. It's been an interesting rivalry for more than 100 years. If you were more concerned about balance among the Big 12 and less about revenues and other such things, then it wouldn't matter. But, we all know how important those big profile games are.

But, despite Nebraska's-Oklahoma's (which in the 30 years prior to the Big 12 could be argued as a much more important rivalry), they still ended up shifting the conferences, so it's possible (not likely) that it could happen again. Given recent history, TX and OU would play in the Big 12 title game more than likely anyways.

I'm just merely looking at this from what would be a fair standpoint, not necessarily a one that would work.

Three words: Red River Shootout

Texas loves that game and there will be no realignment that doesn't include Texas and OU in the same division.

There, fixed it for you.

:lol: Thanks bro. But we all know, as Texas goes, so goes the Big 12! :angry:

It would be interesting to as Oklahoma fans which rivalry they would rather have though, Texas or Nebraska.

Good question. Oklahoma hates Texas and their fans, and would probably enjoy a win over them more-so then a win over Nebraska. But with Nebraska, their is an overall mutual respect between the two schools.

The SEC method of inter-division rivals (1 permanent, 2 rotating) IS the best method.

Totally agree but you will never get TO to sign off on playing both Texas and OU in the same regular season.

I don't know. If he considered that in the SEC, Florida has to play UGA, LSU, and Tennessee yearly and LSU plays Florida, 'Bama, and Auburn yearly (in addition to other strong conference and out-of-conference foes) and that both schools have won 3 national titles between them in the past 4 years, he might change his tune.

Oklahoma does not think of us as a rival. They have one rival and that is Texas and always will be. You will never see a split if they are in the same conference. We are actaully closer to third on the Oklahoma list now that Okie Lite has made progress.

I would not mind seeing the Pac ten set up, but that is not in the best intrest of the money men. Never going to happen, maybe larger, but never down size by choice.

If Colorado and Mizzou left, Arkansas would never leave the SEC, our choices are TCU and Boise State and that is a reach for Boise. Too much travel for them every game.

Tonight i've really been bothered by the fact that we don't play oklahoma every year. It normally never really bothered me but I would really like to see it happen year in and year out. So I was thinking about a possible alignment that would let us do so. I couldn't really think of anything really attractive in terms of expansion but what if we downsized? take 2 teams out and do like the pac 10 does and play 9 conference games (everyone goes head to head) and 3 non conference?

thoughts?

this is interesting, because if you play head-to-head with all of your conference opponents, you wouldn't need a championship game, because head-to-head contests would be the deciding factor in breaking a tie (unless, of course, if more than two teams share the best record, in which case you can have other tiebreakers in place). Also, you can strengthen the conference quite a bit by getting rid of perennial losers. The conference could look like this:

Colorado

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Baylor and Iowa State would find new conference homes. though it would be fun to kick Colorado out of the conference just to piss them off Iowa state could go to the Big Ten (eleven). Baylor is screwed. :-)