Rule Change

I know the NFL has a rule where only 2 players can be less then 2 yards from each other (in effect making a two man wall). That's a good rule because it's probably going to result in less concussions.

But the taunting rule was terrible when they proposed it and it's terrible now that they're going to utilize it. My guess is that it's going to be revoked when a touchdown is brought back in a big rivalry game (or a game that involves either Alabama or Florida losing because of this, or Notre Dame, or USC). Sometimes I don't think the Big XII really gives a crap about it's refereeing. Sure they'll get a majority of their calls right, but then they'll miss a ton of obvious holding calls (especially last year with Nebraska, how many holding calls were called against our opponents when we were facing a South team?).

The problem with the NCAA's first taunting rule, like holding, is that it's called differently from conference to conference. I remember when the first rule went into effect we got some penalties for, essentially, excessive high-fives, while Miami (for whom the rule was initially created) was still doing dance routines like the freaking Rockettes in the end zone and rarely getting flagged.

The problem with the NCAA's first taunting rule, like holding, is that it's called differently from conference to conference. I remember when the first rule went into effect we got some penalties for, essentially, excessive high-fives, while Miami (for whom the rule was initially created) was still doing dance routines like the freaking Rockettes in the end zone and rarely getting flagged.

If I remember right, Cory Ross got one, pointing his arm out, like a first down signal, but it was very non intentional. I believe he was facing toward the husker bench, like he was telling the coaches "we got it." I think it was OU 2005 "throat slash game."

I can't wait for the situation where a player is running down the sideline to score the game winning touchdown, starts legitimately taunting, and the ref says he started it on the one yard line when in fact replay shows he started it after crossing the goalline. :D

Is it strange, I dont find that too far of stretch???? My prediction a play like that will happen on 2010, hopefully it doesnt go against the Huskers.

The Big 12 doesnt give a crap about its refs unless the school start with T and ends with exas. I'm sorry but the Nebraska-Texas game isnt the first time Texas has gotten a huge hand from the refs. 2004 Texas vs Kansas the phantom Offensive pass interefence that turned over what would have been a big 1st down for Kansas. Believe Mark Mangino even went nuclear about it publicly saying it was the Big 12's way to keep Texas in the hunt. But moving on the rule will be revoked once it causes a play to be reversed that ultimatly would have decided the game. Yes they did change the kicking wedge rule too so that its not allowed. But the NCAA has become a joke lately sorry, USC vs NCAA we already seen that they wont punish them too much cash invovled and they dont want to ruin the golden ticket.

Heres the link for Mangino

I have no problem with them doing this for TAUNTING. but other things which are not taunting is a problem. To me, taunting is getting in the face of other players. highstepping, pointing to the crowd, spiking& flexing (lol Niles) etc isn't taunting as much as it is celebrating. NOw, you shouldn't be able to do ridiculous planned out TO style celebrating, but lets at least bring back team celebration and just call it with some common sense.

Another idea would be to focus it on the player instead of taking points off the board. just eject the player.

I have no problem with them doing this for TAUNTING. but other things which are not taunting is a problem. To me, taunting is getting in the face of other players. highstepping, pointing to the crowd, spiking& flexing (lol Niles) etc isn't taunting as much as it is celebrating. NOw, you shouldn't be able to do ridiculous planned out TO style celebrating, but lets at least bring back team celebration and just call it with some common sense.

Another idea would be to focus it on the player instead of taking points off the board. just eject the player.

There was a great Life in the Red blog post about this on LJS.

I think this rule is utterly idiotic. There is no place for excessive celebrating, but look at it this way. The Life in the Red blog post mentioned that on Tommie Frazier's 75 yard run against Florida, he looked back at the Florida defense and stood in the end zone for a few seconds just looking at them. This rule would make it reasonable for a ref to call that taunting. But, there were two other touchdowns in that game that Nebraska could have had revoked had the rule been in place. The first was LP's second touchdown in the Fiesta Bowl (did a little high step towards the end) and the second was Tommie Frazier's first trot into the end zone (did a high step before he got in the end zone). Not like it would have mattered, but those are still great plays in Husker history that could have been wiped from the slate.

This rule is going to cause a HUGE uproar, imho. There were already plenty of celebration calls made last year, some of which being very questionable, including the really controversial one from the LSU game last season. I really don't see what the big deal is. Excessive taunting I can understand, but it's football. It's arguably the most brutal sport in the world. And now we're worried that some defensive backs feelers are going to be hurt? It's bs.

If they want to crack down, they should make this a suspend-able offense. That is, you do it, and the NCAA can hit you with a 1 or 2 game suspension. That should make players think twice before doing it, and it goes in line with other conduct-related punitive systems (i.e, NFL players being fined for excessive celebrations, Oregon's Blount suspended for throwing punches, flagrant fouls in the NBA, etc...). Taking back play that already happened for something that had no effect on the outcome of the play is just fundamentally wrong in every sense.

• Fire 2

I don't like the taunting rule at all but I don't mind the eye black rule. I just wish it would have been instated a few years ago so we wouldn't have had to deal with Tebow's bible verse eye black.

i agree with every thing you said, completely. but i would like to also elaborate on your disagreement with the taunting rule. hasn't the ncaa learned that they were already too strict with that already? what do they do, make it worse, potentially affecting the outcome of the game (because the best taunting happens in close games). this are athletes, if someone scores, their feelings are hurt enough, their self-esteem doesn't suffer anymore if some spikes a ball or celebrates, after all "to the victor goes the spoils." i hate the hurricanes, but they were right, "if you don't want us dancing, keep us out of the endzone."

The only way the taunting rule will take a touchdown off the board is if it is done before the player actually scores, and of all the messages I've seen on eye black Tebow's bilbe verses bother me the least. I think they are both great rules. I always thought it was stupid that a player could commit a penalty at the 15 yard line(taunting) take the ball into the endzone and have the yardage enforced on the pat which is still basicaly a chip shot.

I am really torn on this. I am a bit of an extremist and hate when players flaunt, showboat, taunt or act in any other cocky or self-satisfied way, and I hate it even more when they complain. I wish everyone was Barry Sanders like in their approach of the game, but I really don't have any problem with good-natured celebration either.

I like the idea behind the rule, essentially on it's most basic level it's an attempt to make students play like "good people", playing honest and pure sport. I just don't think that enforcing rules is the way to do it, or that there is any way of making people act this way. The nature of how people are these days I guess.

If they want to crack down, they should make this a suspend-able offense. That is, you do it, and the NCAA can hit you with a 1 or 2 game suspension. That should make players think twice before doing it, and it goes in line with other conduct-related punitive systems (i.e, NFL players being fined for excessive celebrations, Oregon's Blount suspended for throwing punches, flagrant fouls in the NBA, etc...). Taking back play that already happened for something that had no effect on the outcome of the play is just fundamentally wrong in every sense.

That is the most sensible idea I've heard yet. They could dispassionately review the "offense" after the game and incur the penalty a day or two later. It'll never happen, but that's a solid suggestion.

That is the most sensible idea I've heard yet. They could dispassionately review the "offense" after the game and incur the penalty a day or two later. It'll never happen, but that's a solid suggestion.

I agree. The sole source of entertainment is the game and game only.

Defensive post play antics: the offense gets the ball back + 15 yards + automatic first down.

Offensive post play antics: The TD or first down is called back - 15 yards and loss of down. If loss of down occurs on a 4th down - the defense gets the ball.

Defensive post play antics: the offense gets the ball back + 15 yards + automatic first down.

Offensive post play antics: The TD or first down is called back - 15 yards and loss of down. If loss of down occurs on a 4th down - the defense gets the ball.

oh, i thought it was about athletes competing and enjoying their experience. but i guess your right, their job is to perform for the audience and remove all their humanity to become automatons.

oh, i thought it was about athletes competing and enjoying their experience. but i guess your right, their job is to perform for the audience and remove all their humanity to become automatons.

Yes I am. They should and need to play with emotion. But once the play is over - it's over. Take the celebration to the sideline with handshakes, high-fives, and chest pumps. Just keep the post play antics off the field. Please don't confuse this with anything else.