Lions coach to fans chanting for Suh - "You won't be disappointed"

Nexus

Detroit -- A very pro Ndamukong Suh crowd was on hand for a season-ticket holder pre-draft event at Ford Field Monday. The crowd made it clear who they hope the Lions select with the No. 2 pick in Thursday's draft. The crowd of roughly 1,500 got a few answers they were hoping to get from Lions coaches and players, too.

"Let me say this, the draft board has been pretty solidly set. We are going to go over some mock-draft scenarios over the next couple days and cover all of our options. There are a lot of different ways we can go, but you won't be disappointed," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said as the crowd was chanting "Suh, Suh".

Advertisement

That made Matt Spring, 38, from Auburn Hills a happy guy. Spring, who has held season tickets since 2002, showed his obvious support of drafting Suh with a sign that read "Suh-per Bowl."

"I've been a ticket holder through all of the worst of this," Spring said. "It seems like it has to be Suh."

Lions defensive quarterback Gunther Cunningham would love to have Suh anchoring the center of his defensive line next season and he shared a conversation he had with his wife on the subject.

"I'm going to listen to my wife. When we got back from the Senior Bowl she was already on the Internet looking at the other guys. After the combine she made a comment to me. She said, 'I think (Gerald) McCoy is really good, but Suh is really pretty,' " Cunningham said. "I said 'Well, can he play?' and she said I needed to watch these things and (I'll) understand like (she) does."

Cunningham said he spoke his piece on who he wanted the team to draft in a recent draft meeting (though he wouldn't tell the crowd what that meant).

Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan was a little more direct when asked about Suh.

"When we're killing the other team's quarterback, I'm going to be happy," he said.

LINK

Great find. I really hope he goes high in the draft, but getting sucked into the lions is tough. Hope he can help them turn it around if thats where he does go.

Same here. I think Schwartz is doing his best to right the ship. This will be his 2nd year as HC there and he's already bulked up the d-line through free agency with Kyle Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams among others. He's a defensive minded coach and fielded some pretty good defenses when he was DC with the Titans when he had Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch on the line together.

I see Vanden Bosch being Suh's mentor. He's been in the league for almost 10 years now so he'll look out for his fellow Blackshirt.

I'd be happy to see Suh as a Lion. They did snap their 19 game losing streak last season! Even though they only won two games I think they are making the moves that indicate that they want to win. Stafford will also be in his second season. Detroit is a working class city and I think they would totally love him.

• Fire 1

Lions defensive quarterback Gunther Cunningham would love to have Suh anchoring the center of his defensive line next season and he shared a conversation he had with his wife on the subject.

New position? Must be similar to Notre Dame's hunchback.

LOL I was going to point that out. Gunther is a good DC and I think SUH would be great there. Awesome article thanks, Nexus.

I'd be happy to see Suh as a Lion. They did snap their 19 game losing streak last season! Even though they only won two games I think they are making the moves that indicate that they want to win. Stafford will also be in his second season. Detroit is a working class city and I think they would totally love him.

The Lions are up and coming man, im telling you. Stafford is the real deal and theyve made nothing but smart moves since getting rid of that clown Millen. Chicago is a wreck coming off the rails, Green Bay needs to find a defense, and Minnesota is busy being held hostage by a senior citizen. They get the Pats, Jets, Redskins, Rams, and Iggles at home and their away draw of the Bills, Cowboys, Dolphins, Giants and Bucs isnt exactly frightening. The Lions could suhprise people this year, no doubt.

New position? Must be similar to Notre Dame's hunchback.

I almost spit out my lunch reading this post. Thanks! :)

The Lions are up and coming man, im telling you. Stafford is the real deal and theyve made nothing but smart moves since getting rid of that clown Millen. Chicago is a wreck coming off the rails, Green Bay needs to find a defense, and Minnesota is busy being held hostage by a senior citizen. They get the Pats, Jets, Redskins, Rams, and Iggles at home and their away draw of the Bills, Cowboys, Dolphins, Giants and Bucs isnt exactly frightening. The Lions could suhprise people this year, no doubt.

I post the following emoticon as a Vikings fan ---> :funnyhahah

The fact that the Lions can not only have a "pre-draft party" but also get 1,500 people to attend says something. The people are still somewhat excited about the Lions, and that's cool. Good for them. I hope Suh goes there.