Gerald McCoy > Ndamukong Suh

Not to take anything away from Suh, but comparing college linemen to their college counterparts won't work. NFL guys have: more weight, more strength, more experience, and - most importantly, more skills. The best coaches and trainers are in the NFL. Even an average NLF lineman would standout on any college team. The guys Suh blew away will mostly never play at a higher level. One college lineman who held his own was Texas Tech's Brandon Carter, and Carter's nowhere near the top OL in the draft.

I'd pick Suh #1, but he won't dominate like in college.

I don't buy your last statement. Suh will prove you wrong. People said the same thing about a certain defensive end that was high in the Heisman voting that ended up in Tampa Bay. Suh is a winner and has the drive.

There's also the fact that NFL lineman can focus on football 24/7/365 if they want (they won't but they'll put more time into it than a college lineman can). They don't have to focus on school, just on improving their own strength and technique. Suh won't be as dominant as he was last year for at least a couple years because it seemed like he used his bull rush most of the time. But since he's very coachable, and since he's very good with his hands and leverage, he'll still be successful.

no DT will ever be as dominant as suh was last year in the NFL. that just doesnt happen.

Or ever again in the NCAA for that matter. :rollin

And for the record, Suh is miles ahead of McCoy. McShay is just a talking head trying to make a name for himself, but he probably should have picked a different player to disagree with Kiper Jr. on. Anyone who knows anything at all about McCoy and Suh knows that Suh is much, much better than McCoy. McShay just looks like an idiot when he tries to make his case.

I guess i dont see the big deal anymore about someone saying McCoy is better than Suh. Suh is better now, but who will be more successful in the NFL, who knows. My money right now is on Suh, just because of the man he is and his work ethic and such, but honestly, you really never know how someone will turn out once millions are layed in front of their face. Lastly, i honestly think Suh-barring injury- will wind up being a reggie white, ray lewis type of household name on defense, even if he is with the Lions, but if he somehow winds up on a better team later on look out.

McShay is trying to make a name for himself. He's got to go up against Mel Kiper, the unquestioned Guru of the draft, creator of The Big Board. He's not going to make a splash saying the same thing Kiper is saying, and since Kiper has been pimping Suh since about mid-October, McShay has to say something else.

The film doesn't lie. The stats don't lie. Performances at the Combine didn't lie (this time). The only way you can look at the two and say McCoy is "better than" Suh is if you have a vested interest in McCoy being better than Suh, and McShay has that interest - he needs a "win" in the Draft prognostication game.

Is Kiper #1?

What about Mayock? Mayock also has Suh 2, McCoy 1. I don't know if Mayock is the best talent evaluator, but his coverage of the NFL draft has been uncanny.

People really care what that McShay guy has to say? Same with Maycock? If they were so good at evaluating talent they'd be doing it for an NFL team.

I heard McShay's voice just a few minutes ago on the draft and as usual made good use out of the volume downward button. He's an annoying tool. I think that sums up Todd McShay.

People really care what that McShay guy has to say? Same with Maycock? If they were so good at evaluating talent they'd be doing it for an NFL team.

I heard McShay's voice just a few minutes ago on the draft and as usual made good use out of the volume downward button. He's an annoying tool. I think that sums up Todd McShay.

was mcshay always a draft guy? or did that just happen this year?

McShay is trying to make a name for himself. He's got to go up against Mel Kiper, the unquestioned Guru of the draft, creator of The Big Board. He's not going to make a splash saying the same thing Kiper is saying, and since Kiper has been pimping Suh since about mid-October, McShay has to say something else.

The film doesn't lie. The stats don't lie. Performances at the Combine didn't lie (this time). The only way you can look at the two and say McCoy is "better than" Suh is if you have a vested interest in McCoy being better than Suh, and McShay has that interest - he needs a "win" in the Draft prognostication game.

Is Kiper #1?

What about Mayock? Mayock also has Suh 2, McCoy 1. I don't know if Mayock is the best talent evaluator, but his coverage of the NFL draft has been uncanny.

Kiper is your father's #1. Mayock is a more recent addition to the field. I have no idea how to handicap the draft prognosticators. I've heard good things about both Mayock and Kiper. I've heard some bad things about Kiper, and I've heard NOTHING good about McShay. So maybe Mayock is better, since the bad press about him is less or hard to find? Hard to say. But I do know that Kiper's been around a long time, and he's earned respect amongst NFL scouts. He's not rash, and he's not prone to making outrageous claims.

Watched more of McShay tonight...he just comes across as a poser. He never really has anything insightful so tend to agree he is just there to play off Kiper and stir some discussion. Dissing Suh and continually trashing on Tebow is getting old. The more I watch Gruden the more I like him. He was the best guy on that set tonight.

Watched more of McShay tonight...he just comes across as a poser. He never really has anything insightful so tend to agree he is just there to play off Kiper and stir some discussion. Dissing Suh and continually trashing on Tebow is getting old. The more I watch Gruden the more I like him. He was the best guy on that set tonight.

Agree on both counts. Gruden is 1,000x better than McShay.

FWIW, I found out something interesting looking over Suh's stats from when he was 18 to where he was at the combine.

At 18, he could already bench 225 24 times, one more than what McCoy could do at the Combine. At 18, Suh also had a 22 inch vertical, something he improved on by over a foot by the time the combine came around. His original bench max was 300, and he was well over 450 by the time he graduated. He did all this while only adding 22 pounds to his frame, going from 278 to around 300. He must have have gotten rid of a lot of bad weight and put on healthy weight to accomplish this.