Five Super Conferences

So I found this article and read about the proposed changes, and which teams would fall into which "superconferences." I felt like gagging after I saw where Nebraska was headed and who our conference rivals would be. I have no doubt in my mind that if things ended up this way, it would be the death toll for Nebraska football.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13281267/

If this super conference thing happens, and i do think there is a better chance that it does than doesnt, I think NE will have the chance to jump to the big10. I cant imagine that unless by its own doing Nebraska would be left to pick up leftovers to fill the big 12. If TX left that would be a huge hit. If TX and OU left, NE better be out as well. That would be bad news for the big 12.

But like i said, i cant imagine that NE gets stuck, unless its by their own doing.

• Fire 1

But like i said, i cant imagine that NE gets stuck, unless its by their own doing.

We have enough cache and command enough eyeballs that we're not going to be left behind in this process, unless of course Perlman and Osborne simply drop the ball altogether. I have no doubt Nebraska will end up in a pretty good situation when the dust settles.

I caught a few minutes of the Penn State Spring Game Saturday. While it's painful to listen to Paterno bumble along in his oratory, he did have very good things to say for PSU's membership in the Big 10 has helped them tremendously, especially in the area of academics, and JoePa stressed research as the primary beneficiary of their membership. With UNL's focus on advancing research via the new Research Park, this could be a huge boost to the school's academics.

We have enough cache and command enough eyeballs that we're not going to be left behind in this process, unless of course Perlman and Osborne simply drop the ball altogether. I have no doubt Nebraska will end up in a pretty good situation when the dust settles.

I caught a few minutes of the Penn State Spring Game Saturday. While it's painful to listen to Paterno bumble along in his oratory, he did have very good things to say for PSU's membership in the Big 10 has helped them tremendously, especially in the area of academics, and JoePa stressed research as the primary beneficiary of their membership. With UNL's focus on advancing research via the new Research Park, this could be a huge boost to the school's academics.

Like i said the other day, what could your school do with an extra 10 million a year??

The only great argument I've heard against Nebraska joining the Big 11 is Texas recruiting. The Big 11 has better TV contracts, better schools, more appealing conference matchups. And it's not like you couldn't recruit Texas, either. Yes, we can't pitch a game in your state every year anymore, but we can't make that pitch in Florida and California either, and we still recruit them. The connection of the staff to the high schools is the biggest concern there. We'd take a Texas dip but probably see an Ohio bump, which in the long run might even be more productive considering Pelini's background.

If it were me I would take the Big 11 up on their offer if they came calling. The Big XII has epic failed with the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry already, and our TV presence absolutely blows. A lot could change with the conference realignment, but NU had better be ready to make the hard changes or we'll be twisting in the wind, with more and more influence being centralized in Texas.

The only great argument I've heard against Nebraska joining the Big 11 is Texas recruiting. The Big 11 has better TV contracts, better schools, more appealing conference matchups. And it's not like you couldn't recruit Texas, either. Yes, we can't pitch a game in your state every year anymore, but we can't make that pitch in Florida and California either, and we still recruit them. The connection of the staff to the high schools is the biggest concern there. We'd take a Texas dip but probably see an Ohio bump, which in the long run might even be more productive considering Pelini's background.

If it were me I would take the Big 11 up on their offer if they came calling. The Big XII has epic failed with the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry already, and our TV presence absolutely blows. A lot could change with the conference realignment, but NU had better be ready to make the hard changes or we'll be twisting in the wind, with more and more influence being centralized in Texas.

That's exactly why that's a spurious argument.

That's exactly why that's a spurious argument.

It's hard to say what effect a switch would really have. We do draw a LOT of our recruits from Texas, and not without good reason. But the only way to see how it would work out is to try it, so the argument doesn't pack much punch. Certainly nothing like the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry would if we still played the damn thing.

there are some huge rivalries that get split up under this scenario. Texas/Oklahoma are no longer in the same division. neither are Michigan/Ohio St.

Exactly. The Red River rivalry isn't going to go away easily. It gets a huge T.V. draw and is arguably the biggest regular season game each year. That's one reason this guys super-conference thing would be a bad idea, because I don't see that game going away and it wouldn't play as much significance if it was just turned into an OOC game every year.