BIG NEWS

Competition wise, it's still about the fourth or fifth toughest conference.

Lately. Again, too often people ignore the cyclical nature of college football, where each new recruiting class or each coaching change brings with it a potential to falter. The fact is that three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football history are from the Big 10 (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State). This is a conference of teams with extremely stable bases. They are not immune to the fluctuations of victory and loss that all schools fall prey to, but they are less prone than most to stay down for long based on the huge fan bases, traditions and money they have.

Did you really think Nebraska would stay down very long when we sucked a few years ago? Of course not. You knew what kind of program we have, what kind of fan base we have, what kind of overwhelming support we have. You knew that we'd right the ship, most likely sooner rather than later.

Did you really think Oklahoma would stay down very long when they sucked after Switzer left?

Do you really think the football structures supporting the Big 10 schools will allow them to remain below the Pac-10 or the ACC? Really?

Big Ten makes initial offer to Big 12 pair

The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations.

While nothing can be approved until the Big Ten presidents and chancellors meet the first week of June in Chicago, the league has informed the two Big 12 schools, Notre Dame and Rutgers that it would like to have them join. It is not yet clear whether the Big Ten will expand to 14 or 16 teams but sources indicated Missouri and Nebraska are invited in either scenario. Notre Dame has repeatedly declined the opportunity to join the Big Ten. If Notre Dame remains independent, Rutgers would be the 14th team. The Big Ten would then decide whether to stop at 14 or extend offers to two other schools. If Notre Dame joins, sources say an offer will be extended to one other school making it a 16-team league.

In order for the University of Missouri to join the Big Ten, the Missouri Board of Regents will still have to approve the move. Sources close to the governing body say the Big Ten has told officials that Mizzou could add $1.3 million per month in revenue to the lucrative Big Ten Television Network. The Big Ten Network is currently offered on basic cable to very few of over 7 million residents living in Missouri television markets and adding it throughout the state will be a windfall for the conference.

Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal announcement coming no later than July.

The University of Missouri is currently under contract with the Big 12 conference and will have to pay a stiff penalty to leave the Big 12. The Big 12 charter states any member will lose between 50 and 100 percent of its shared annual revenue depending on the length of notice any school gives. According to published reports, Missouri receives around $9 million annually in shared football revenue from the Big 12. According to sources, it seems likely Missouri would give one- year notice. It is projected that Missouri's football revenues would increase by $10 million or more per year when it joins the Big Ten versus what it currently receives in the Big 12.

http://www.810whb.com/article/3527

If this is true and T.O. turns it down, then he needs to immediatly be removed from his positions as NU A.D.

Really?

I'd much rather see us join the Pac16.

Our recruiting would take less of a hit in the long run, and who's to say they can't get their own TV contract?

Yes really. Joining the Big 10 will have ZERO impact on NU's recruiting.

Dave Matter of the Columbia Daily Tribune in Mizzou is reporting this from twitter:

#Mizzou officially sticking with its statement that it's a member of the Big 12 and won't comment on conference realignment speculation

LINK

Standing by my belief that nothing will be officially announced regarding Big Ten expansion until it comes from Jim Delany's lips

LINK

Even if the B-10 eventually turns into a glorified Sunbelt Conference?

The Big 10 has less of a chance of becoming a "glorified Sunbelt Conference" than any other conference besides the SEC. The Pac-10 is looking to expand, but there's no cache in adding BYU and/or Colorado. That's almost a status quo move. The SEC is looking to expand, and could add two of any number of schools. It's already the top conference and it'll continue to grow. The Big 10 is looking to expand and the teams they're talking about: Nebraska, Notre Dame, Missouri, etc. will only help them get larger and larger and increase revenues.

In fact, the one "power conference" in this entire scenario that is likely to become a "glorified Sunbelt Conference" is the Big 12. The Big 12 isn't talking about expanding at all. There's very little buzz about the conference, and if anything, it's the most likely to get raided.

I would like to know where you're getting even a remote comparison between the Big 10 and the SunBelt. Those are two conferences on completely opposite ends of the Div. 1A spectrum.

Nice post.

He was only posting to post trying to get a rise.

Like I said earlier in the thread..... Im not believing this until i see something on a legit website or news article. Some radio station saying multiple sources saying the big ten offord 4 schools, when we all know that the magic number is 2 or 5, is not very creditable. Besides ND has said along they want to remain an independent from a football standpoint.

Bash me if you want, im just making my opinion heard.

I don't blame you for being skeptical at the moment. I'm also waiting for an official source to verify this as well. In other words an official from the Big Ten. However for the sake of the report, all we can do is speculate on the latest info. given.

With that in mind, the reason they reported it as 4 teams instead of 5 to make it 16 is for a couple of reasons.

-- They're offering ND because they've wanted them for a long time now. So they'll make another attempt, regardless.

-- The possible reason for only reporting 4 offers at the moment (which would make it 15 teams) is because they probably know that ND won't accept. So assuming ND doesn't accept, they're now up to 14 teams.

-- However, if by some miracle ND did accept, then we'd have to assume that they've already got another team in mind to make it 16. It could be any of the other schools from previous speculations: Syracuse? Connecticut? Pitt?

-- My best guess in all of this is the Big Ten will go to 16 teams when it's all said and done. If the domino effect happens the way I think it might, then ND will be the last team to join the Big 10 out of necessity. That would mean the Big East will either no longer exist due to expansion from the ACC and SEC or be relegated to a 2nd tier conference.

• Fire 1

Like I said earlier in the thread..... Im not believing this until i see something on a legit website or news article. Some radio station saying multiple sources saying the big ten offord 4 schools, when we all know that the magic number is 2 or 5, is not very creditable. Besides ND has said along they want to remain an independent from a football standpoint.

Bash me if you want, im just making my opinion heard.

I don't blame you for being skeptical at the moment. I'm also waiting for an official source to verify this as well. In other words an official from the Big Ten. However for the sake of the report, all we can do is speculate on the latest info. given.

With that in mind, the reason they reported it as 4 teams instead of 5 to make it 16 is for a couple of reasons.

-- They're offering ND because they've wanted them for a long time now. So they'll make another attempt, regardless.

-- The possible reason for only reporting 4 offers at the moment (which would make it 15 teams) is because they probably know that ND won't accept. So assuming ND doesn't accept, they're now up to 14 teams.

-- However, if by some miracle ND did accept, then we'd have to assume that they've already got another team in mind to make it 16. It could be any of the other schools from previous speculations: Syracuse? Connecticut? Pitt?

-- My best guess in all of this is the Big Ten will go to 16 teams when it's all said and done. If the domino effect happens the way I think it might, then ND will be the last team to join the Big 10 out of necessity. That would mean the Big East will either no longer exist due to expansion from the ACC and SEC or be relegated to a 2nd tier conference.

With all threads posted and what other columnists have written how they think the Big Ten is gonna expand. I trained myself not believe anything posted, until somebody has posted a credible link.

It just baffles me that it would be public knowledge that they offered ND, without knowing for sure what ND was going to do. I would believe this more, if they kept ND out of it. ND has been very open about staying indepedent for football and Big East for other sports. So that is one of main reasons I dont believe it and the fact that it can from a radio website and not espn, foxsports, cnnsi, or any other sports related website.

ND has been very open about staying indepedent for football and Big East for other sports.

As I mentioned in post #127, Notre Dame may not have a choice but to join a conference soon.

:yeah

You have to see the Big Ten's ambitions for ND as a chess move. They're just trying to get the dominoes to fall accordingly. Like I said in my previous post, if it happens like I think it might, then ND will be the last team to join the Big Ten out of necessity. They're dependent on the Big East for everything else. If the Big East gets swallowed up by the ACC, then ND is stuck between a rock and a hard place. This would mean they'd have one last chance to join the Big Ten or get left out altogether. My guess is, they'll accept that last invite if it push comes to shove.

Perlman says none of this report is true:

A radio station in Kansas City reported Monday that the Big Ten has extended offers to four schools to join the league -- including Nebraska.

Here's the link...http://www.810whb.com/article/3527

Asked whether the report has any validity as it applies to Nebraska, UNL chancellor Harvey Perlman said, "None whatsoever."

Expect there to be many more of these reports until the Big Ten announces something officially.

The posturing begins

Perlman: Report untrue

Posted by: Steve Sipple on May 10, 2010 at 2:24PM CST A radio station in Kansas City reported Monday that the Big Ten has extended offers to four schools to join the league -- including Nebraska.

Here's the link...http://www.810whb.com/article/3527

Asked whether the report has any validity as it applies to Nebraska, UNL chancellor Harvey Perlman said, "None whatsoever."

Expect there to be many more of these reports until the Big Ten announces something officially.