BIG NEWS

So when its all said and done will the 09 championship game be considered the one second that changed college football?

Funny you mentioned that. A guy at another Husker forum posted the following:

"Heading into the Dec. 4th game, the Big 10 wasn't even be on our radar. By the time Dec. 6th rolled around, it started to sound like a good idea." :lol:

If this does happen does anyone think that Bo's contract will get revised to not allow him to skip out to Ohio State since we'll be in the same conference? If this is going to happen I hope TO has thought out every scenario possible. This one decision will shape NU football for the rest of time pretty much. I'm also curious as to how this would change our approach on recruiting. Texas has so much talent and we have really good relationships there but I wonder if they will still want to come to NU if we don't play any games there. We also do a lot of recruiting from California and pretty much the only team in the big ten that did a good job of recruiting cali was Michigan when Carr was there, but not really a lot anymore.

I know alot of people are worried about Texas recruiting if we would move to the Big 10. Now, I know as far as parents go they would have to travel further to watch kids play. But, one thing big time recruits and their parents would get informed about is exposure! The Big 10 has a great TV contract and they have their own network. The exposure for kids playing football would be much better. The Big 12 is sooooooo far behind in TV and multimedia exposure it's embarrassing. You'd think the big cats with all the money in Texas could get something figured out.

Nebraska has had strong recruiting ties to California, New Jersey, Ohio, Florida, etc over the years without playing games in these states. We'll see, should be interesting.

So when its all said and done will the 09 championship game be considered the one second that changed college football?

Funny you mentioned that. A guy at another Husker forum posted the following:

"Heading into the Dec. 4th game, the Big 10 wasn't even be on our radar. By the time Dec. 6th rolled around, it started to sound like a good idea." :lol:

haha I can see it now: Dec. 5th, the day the big 12 sold it's empire for a slot in the championship game

I personally would love this. We have no rival here anymore. Everyone plays patty cake football in the Big 12 now (except KSU and TT should shift with Tuberville in control)...Plus it'd be fun to see the Texas 12 try to recover. The north is already the laughing stock of the conference and you pull out THE major player there....I really like big 10 football. It's my style. People used to say Osborne's offense was stone age and they never threw the ball and now people on this board are saying the same about the big 10? Wasn't that one of the leading reasons people were thrilled about dumping Solich for Callahan?

I also think it's funny how for the past 6 years people have consistently bashed pretty much the entire big ten. Whether it was saying Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in the national championship or Iowa is overrated or Penn St. is overrated and so on. Now all of the sudden we hear talk about us joining the big ten and it's this great conference. I would prefer to stay in the big 12 just bc this is where our roots are and it's a huge risk moving to a completely different conference. At least when the big 12 was formed we still had our entire conference from the big 8 stay put. It's exciting and scary at the same time.

Maybe this is just me, but could you guys really get amped up to see the Huskers playing the likes of Michigan State or Northwestern each week? I dont know if I would be able to take not being able to play Mizzou every year(considering they stay), or being able to look forward to a Texas or Oklahoma match up every year. Maybe this is just from a fans stand point, but you lose competition. You lose rivalry. I know most of you think of this as from a monetary benefit to the U, but to the average fan, I think it will hurt the fan base. The regular fan will miss the intensity of the Big 12, not the few mill that they werent getting before. I know we are all for BCS bids and such, but honestly I think I would rather go through the dark alley of the Big 12 than the freeway of the Big 10. JMHO.

Maybe this is just me, but could you guys really get amped up to see the Huskers playing the likes of Michigan State or Northwestern each week? I dont know if I would be able to take not being able to play Mizzou every year(considering they stay), or being able to look forward to a Texas or Oklahoma match up every year. Maybe this is just from a fans stand point, but you lose competition. You lose rivalry. I know most of you think of this as from a monetary benefit to the U, but to the average fan, I think it will hurt the fan base. The regular fan will miss the intensity of the Big 12, not the few mill that they werent getting before. I know we are all for BCS bids and such, but honestly I think I would rather go through the dark alley of the Big 12 than the freeway of the Big 10. JMHO.

i would argue that the Big 12 has been a two team party for almost a decade. the whole big 12 north has been a joke for just as long. sure OKST and TTU had their teams, but we would play maybe 3 decent teams in a year. this year we only had 2 decent games. Big 10 usually have 3-4 ranked teams. also, if it does get too bad, we could alway beef up our OOC schedule.

i would argue that the Big 12 has been a two team party for almost a decade. the whole big 12 north has been a joke for just as long. sure OKST and TTU had their teams, but we would play maybe 3 decent teams in a year. this year we only had 2 decent games. Big 10 usually have 3-4 ranked teams. also, if it does get too bad, we could alway beef up our OOC schedule.

Cant say I disagree. However, I find it hard to think about getting amped for Big 10 season. In the Big 12, even if we are playing a worthless Kansas or Mizzou team, there still seems to be more electricity because those games are intense. I think I would be more excited to proclaim that its "mizzou week", rather than"michigan week", but maybe that is just my hesitant to change. I wouldnt love Husker football any less, it would just be hard to swallow not being able to play some of those teams again. Those games like the Big 12 Championship, as sh**ty as it turned out, I would miss games like that.

Cant say I disagree. However, I find it hard to think about getting amped for Big 10 season. In the Big 12, even if we are playing a worthless Kansas or Mizzou team, there still seems to be more electricity because those games are intense. I think I would be more excited to proclaim that its "mizzou week", rather than"michigan week", but maybe that is just my hesitant to change. I wouldnt love Husker football any less, it would just be hard to swallow not being able to play some of those teams again. Those games like the Big 12 Championship, as sh**ty as it turned out, I would miss games like that.

i completely understand. but imagine what it was like for diehard Big 8/NU fans when they made the Big 12? i mean playing SWAC teams could not have gotten anyone excited. it might just take time, lucky for us we are football junkies, but my dad already talked to me about how much he hates watching the Big 10 and how he worries that this expansion won't create a better product, and won't serve a purpose other than to line the pockets of the schools.

hates watching the Big 10 and how he worries that this expansion won't create a better product, and won't serve a purpose other than to line the pockets of the schools.

bingo. thats exactly how I feel.

hates watching the Big 10 and how he worries that this expansion won't create a better product, and won't serve a purpose other than to line the pockets of the schools.

bingo. thats exactly how I feel.

my position is that if the big 10 is the only conference to expand, NU should not join; but if all the top conferences expand, NU almost has to join the big 10.

I can't say I disagree. However, I find it hard to think about getting amped for Big 10 season. In the Big 12, even if we are playing a worthless Kansas or Mizzou team, there still seems to be more electricity because those games are intense. I think I would be more excited to proclaim that its "mizzou week", rather than"michigan week", but maybe that is just my hesitant to change. I wouldnt love Husker football any less, it would just be hard to swallow not being able to play some of those teams again. Those games like the Big 12 Championship, as sh**ty as it turned out, I would miss games like that.

I think anyone old enogh to remember the 97 season can get fired up about "Michigan week" (Just think about the speech Frost gave)

When all the expansion talk started I was very much against it, because of our roots. One thing that made me change my mind is that the big 12 does not take the big 8 history as it's own, a history that dates back to 1907 when it was the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MVIAA). That's 90 years of history the big 12 just threw out of the window. So our roots are not in the big 12 they are in the big 8.