BIG NEWS

Maybe somebody mentioned this, but I don't want to look through all of these replies. Clearly, there must be more than JUST Nebraska and Missouri being invited, right? But the OP's source only confirmed two?

It depends on the ultimate end game for the B10. A multi-stage announcement spanning the next several months could happen in order to try and get dominos to fall. If the ultimate goal is 16 and you want to give certain schools (Texas, ND) some political maneuvering room you go to 13 with the initial announcement. Obviously 13 isn't any better than 11 so you are signaling that you are in no way done. Now that the B12 is destabilized you can make a play for Texas and A&M to give Nebraska and Missouri some additional history (granted it might not be the history that you would prefer...) in the league. If Texas wants to finalize the expansion with 5 B12 teams you add Kansas and the 2 Texas schools and count on the 3 new national names (Texas and Nebraska in football and Kansas in bball) to boost the BTN. If Texas is OK with 4 B12 teams then you are at 15 and you give ND one last shot. If they say no you add Rutgers and are done. If Texas still isn't interested then you add Rutgers and either Syracuse or Pitt to go to 15 and still give ND their one last shot. In both cases if ND still says no then you add 1 of Kansas/Syracuse/Pitt and be done.

I haven't heard much of anything about Kansas going to the Big 10. You think that's a possibility? (just curious, cause I have seen literally nothing about them)

If the B10 ends up with 3 B12 schools and none of them are from Texas then Kansas is the logical 3rd school to solidify the midwest and get a national basketball school. I would consider them to be an extreme long shot though (just a gut feeling from all the reading I have done on expansion)

ku and Kstate are tied together and can not, but kansas law be in seperate conferences

Maybe somebody mentioned this, but I don't want to look through all of these replies. Clearly, there must be more than JUST Nebraska and Missouri being invited, right? But the OP's source only confirmed two?

It depends on the ultimate end game for the B10. A multi-stage announcement spanning the next several months could happen in order to try and get dominos to fall. If the ultimate goal is 16 and you want to give certain schools (Texas, ND) some political maneuvering room you go to 13 with the initial announcement. Obviously 13 isn't any better than 11 so you are signaling that you are in no way done. Now that the B12 is destabilized you can make a play for Texas and A&M to give Nebraska and Missouri some additional history (granted it might not be the history that you would prefer...) in the league. If Texas wants to finalize the expansion with 5 B12 teams you add Kansas and the 2 Texas schools and count on the 3 new national names (Texas and Nebraska in football and Kansas in bball) to boost the BTN. If Texas is OK with 4 B12 teams then you are at 15 and you give ND one last shot. If they say no you add Rutgers and are done. If Texas still isn't interested then you add Rutgers and either Syracuse or Pitt to go to 15 and still give ND their one last shot. In both cases if ND still says no then you add 1 of Kansas/Syracuse/Pitt and be done.

I haven't heard much of anything about Kansas going to the Big 10. You think that's a possibility? (just curious, cause I have seen literally nothing about them)

If the B10 ends up with 3 B12 schools and none of them are from Texas then Kansas is the logical 3rd school to solidify the midwest and get a national basketball school. I would consider them to be an extreme long shot though (just a gut feeling from all the reading I have done on expansion)

ku and Kstate are tied together and can not, but kansas law be in seperate conferences

wasn't that how baylor and ttu got into the big XII (i know at least baylor) why would the state of texas now let UT abandon all the other texas schools for a different conference? that was always my question with the talk of UT leaving. first it is annoying because the Big XII would be stuck with schools that got in only because that was the only way to get UT, but wouldn't the state of texas still have the same interest in keeping those schools together?

And once again Ksu is there to drag Ku down with them

My $.02 about what Osborne and NU are looking at...

1)Texas, a team who runs the show, wants and will get its own TV network, and in the grand scheme of things, could really care less if the conference falls apart. They could go independent. They could move. They could do nothing. Texas really has never felt like they've had to worry about anything. And they're right. They got everything they wanted when the Big 12 was implanted. They'll always take care of their own. Question is...will everyone else?

2)Lots more money.

3)Other sports. The biggest issue in moving to the Big 10 is baseball. And look where that's sitting right now. NU Volleyball would have Penn St. and Michigan to compete with. NU Men's Basketball can struggle quite well in any conference, and the women could compete well, IMO, in the Big 10. The smaller sports will get paid off. Most compete regularly in other conferences currently.

4)Whether it is legit or not, every major conference is being mentioned in expansion. Well, all but the Big 12. The Big 12 seems content to be hitting the 'snooze' button until they have to wake up and start pressing the 'panic' button. And that won't be pretty. As Andy Dufrene said in The Shawshank Redemption..."Either get busy living, or get busy dying."

5)See #2

6)A legitimate TV Deal. Nothing says 'recruiting tool' like seeing a team play on TV every week. I'm pretty sure there are TV's in recruit's living rooms all over Texas. Good recruits want to play at big schools and against big schools. You aren't a great player because you can lock down a CSU receiver. You prove it against an OSU receiver. Last I checked, University of Texas has had to have the same number of active players and scholarships as everyone else. And they'll get who they want, but they can't have them all. When, in the Big 12 era, did NU 'steal' a recruit that was initially going to Texas in the first place?

7)Acedemics. Believe it or not, this does make a difference. And don't think Osborne and Perlman don't consider it. And the Big 10 are hardly slouches in this area.

8)Big 12 Conference game. How happy do you think T.O. was going to play Miami in their backyard every year? Is it any wonder he is frustrated by the prospect of NU going to the Jerry Gym every year?

9)A unique opportunity to control one's destiny, IF the Big 12 is offering what most think they are. Osborne has to be wondering what will happen with ND, that's true. He needs to be more concerned with what's going to happen with Missouri. Because the second Missouri steps out that door, which most think is inevitable, and Nebraska hasn't done anything...well, for all the traditionalists who think come hell or high water NU should stick out the Big 12...watch what the Big 12 tries to whip up as a replacement. Watch that not work out. Watch the Big 12's School Search turn into a NU Houston Nutt-like fiasco. Then watch when they have to find a replacement for CU. Then watch what Texas does. Then watch what OU does. Big 10 Did what they had to do. Pac-10 and SEC did the same. Tradition will stop being fun when you're now in a conference that you better hope you never lose a game or you start being mentioned in the same sentence with Boise State. Or Utah. Or after that giant conference win over 1-5 ISU you wonder what that road trip to Ann Arbor or Columbus or Iowa City or Chicago would've been like as you're packing the family truckster to Tulsa. Or Las Cruces. Or Laramie. The only goal every year becomes beating KSU because that's all that's really left that you care about. All that wonderful 'tradition' has moved on and NU is stuck, mired in that past and tradition.

I can't say I'm happy about all this, but I want NU to look out for NU for the future. If ND goes to the Big 10 and the sun comes up over the Big 12, fine. If we need to go, then stop being abused by a power-hungry state and play with some other legitimate big boys. Just don't go by the wayside.

• Fire 1

wasn't that how baylor and ttu got into the big XII (i know at least baylor) why would the state of texas now let UT abandon all the other texas schools for a different conference? that was always my question with the talk of UT leaving. first it is annoying because the Big XII would be stuck with schools that got in only because that was the only way to get UT, but wouldn't the state of texas still have the same interest in keeping those schools together?

I dont remember exactly what it was. I dont think all the schools in TX are tied together though. I think its just Texas and ATM. But I could be wrong.

In 1994, when the buzz began that Texas and Texas A&M were preparing to leave the Southwest Conference, David Sibley who was a Republican state senator from Waco. Sibley talked to William Cunningham the University of Texas chancellor and asked if the rumors that the Longhorns and Aggies were planning to leave the SWC were true. Cunningham didn’t say yes but he didn’t deny it either and that was enough for Sibley to sense a potential snub.

Sibley gathered up a group of state politicians with allegiances to the other six SWC schools. The politicians included Dobermans, a veritable who's who of Baylor and Texas Tech alumni. Ann Richards, then governor, and Bob Bullock, then lieutenant governor, were Baylor grads. Sibley held a high-ranking position on the powerful Senate Finance Committee. Tech Tech had John Montford, president pro tempore of the Senate; Robert Junell, destined to become chairman of the House Appropriations Committee; and Speaker of the House Pete Laney.

Long and short of it the group told them they would cut state funding for UT and A&M if they bolted on their own.

FYI:

Any Texas school that has A&M is part of the Texas A&M University system. That includes the following:

• Texas A&M University

• Prairie View A&M University

• Tarleton State University

• Texas A&M International University

• Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

• Texas A&M University-Kingsville

• West Texas A&M University

• Texas A&M University-Commerce

• Texas A&M University-Texarkana

• Texas A&M Health Science Center

Any School with University of Texas is part of the he University of Texas System

Universities

• UT Arlington

• UT Austin

• UT Brownsville

• UT Dallas

• UT El Paso

• UT Pan American

• UT Permian Basin

• UT San Antonio

• UT Tyler

Health Institutions

• UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas

• UT Medical Branch at Galveston

• UT Health Science Center at Houston

• UT Health Science Center at San Antonio

• UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center

• UT Health Science Center at Tyler

so the question is... did they make sure TT and Baylor get to come to the BIG12 because they (TX & ATM) didnt want to lose money, or are there laws keeping them together. Because, say if texas and ATM want to leave to the SEC (who also pays about 10 million more a year than the BIG12) will they tell the TX State leadership to kiss off.

The thing that worries me is that for the past 2 years, we've been recruiting for smaller and faster spread-defending guys. We would have to shift back into a 4-3 IMO. Of course Bo and crew would be able to do it, but I think their could possibly be some growing pains.

The thing that worries me is that for the past 2 years, we've been recruiting for smaller and faster spread-defending guys. We would have to shift back into a 4-3 IMO. Of course Bo and crew would be able to do it, but I think their could possibly be some growing pains.

This article was written in 2008.

To date, eight of the 11 Big Ten teams run a spread, or a version of the offense. Penn State coaches have said they plan to unveil their own version of the offense -- dubbed the 'Spread HD' -- this fall.

Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin have become the rarities in a conference once known for "smash mouth" football. Wisconsin head coach, Bret Bielema said he likes that his squad is now in the minority, but admitted that he has to double his team's preparation when it plays a team that utilizes a spread-type offense.

LINK

so the question is... did they make sure TT and Baylor get to come to the BIG12 because they (TX & ATM) didnt want to lose money, or are there laws keeping them together. Because, say if texas and ATM want to leave to the SEC (who also pays about 10 million more a year than the BIG12) will they tell the TX State leadership to kiss off.

At the time Texas and Texas A&M we looking to leave the SWC the Pac 10 and Big 10 were the conference they were looking at. Same as today distance was an a major issue. They are looking at 750+ mile for their closest travel game with either conference. As far as Baylor and Texas Tech there weren't laws on the books the influence of the alumni of Texas Tech and Baylor insured that it would be a four team move instead of a two teams (UT + T&M move). Texas and Texas A&M would make money where ever they would have went Texas Tech and Baylor get to be irrelevant in football in what at the time looked like a good conference and make money guaranteed.

To date, eight of the 11 Big Ten teams run a spread, or a version of the offense. Penn State coaches have said they plan to unveil their own version of the offense -- dubbed the 'Spread HD' -- this fall.

Michigan State, Iowa and Wisconsin have become the rarities in a conference once known for "smash mouth" football. Wisconsin head coach, Bret Bielema said he likes that his squad is now in the minority, but admitted that he has to double his team's preparation when it plays a team that utilizes a spread-type offense.

LINK

Nexus, always there to cut me down :LOLtartar

I stand corrected. Guess I've been watching too much CFBL. :facepalm:

• Fire 1

LINK

Nexus, always there to cut me down :LOLtartar

I stand corrected. Guess I've been watching too much CFBL. :facepalm:

:laughpound +1

• Fire 1