Lions' rookies need to get in shape, but not Suh

As the Lions wrapped up rookie orientation today, the players did a little running. The message was clear.

“For the most part, it’s not stay in shape,” coach Jim Schwartz said, “it’s get in shape.”

It’s one thing to train for the scouting combine, pro days and private workouts. It’s another to be ready for an NFL practice. And what the rookies did over the past three days wasn’t even close to what they will do when they join the veterans.

“These guys thought they were practicing hard,” Schwartz said. “Our pace is generally three times as fast as what these guys were going through. … They didn’t really have a feeling of where they need to be to be in shape. They think they’re in good shape, and they have no idea once they get here.”

One exception might be defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, the second overall pick in the draft. He wasn’t the first one down and back during the running, but he seemed chiseled and unconcerned about the conditioning.

“I think I’m in pretty good shape,” Suh said. “They gave us a little test of what the conditioning test will be like. I don’t find it too hard to my eyes. …

“You can go back and ask our strength coach at Nebraska. I don’t miss runs. I don’t miss times. So I’m that type of guy that if I’m down, I’m going to push myself through.”

LINK

• Fire 2

I think this is also another great opportunity to give kudos to Dobson, who has really done a phenomenal job with our S&C. Coaches brag about him, players brag about him, and now Suh is saying that Dobson is responsible for why he has the mindset about working out that he does.

I think this is also another great opportunity to give kudos to Dobson, who has really done a phenomenal job with our S&C. Coaches brag about him, players brag about him, and now Suh is saying that Dobson is responsible for why he has the mindset about working out that he does.

Seconded on Dobson kudos.

The question I've always had was this: If Dobson studied under the Iowa S&C coach, does that mean that the coach there (name escapes me) > Dobson, which would mean Iowa S&C>NU S&C? Or was Dobson the type of protege' that surpassed his teacher?

I've always read that Dobson is a strict believer in reading, learning, and continuous improvement. But a significant portion of his experience must have come in some shape or form from his mentoring.

Maybe he is just one of those guys who who picks up a little here and there, has a natural affinity for it, and makes it his own (like Pelini has done through the years).

Here's hopin Dobson has a long and prosperous career here :cheers

As the Lions wrapped up rookie orientation today, the players did a little running. The message was clear.

“For the most part, it’s not stay in shape,” coach Jim Schwartz said, “it’s get in shape.”

It’s one thing to train for the scouting combine, pro days and private workouts. It’s another to be ready for an NFL practice. And what the rookies did over the past three days wasn’t even close to what they will do when they join the veterans.

“These guys thought they were practicing hard,” Schwartz said. “Our pace is generally three times as fast as what these guys were going through. … They didn’t really have a feeling of where they need to be to be in shape. They think they’re in good shape, and they have no idea once they get here.”

One exception might be defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, the second overall pick in the draft. He wasn’t the first one down and back during the running, but he seemed chiseled and unconcerned about the conditioning.

“I think I’m in pretty good shape,” Suh said. “They gave us a little test of what the conditioning test will be like. I don’t find it too hard to my eyes. …

“You can go back and ask our strength coach at Nebraska. I don’t miss runs. I don’t miss times. So I’m that type of guy that if I’m down, I’m going to push myself through.”

LINK

As a life-long Husker fan and Lions fan (hard to admit I know) - I think this is cool as penguin sh!t.... GO SUH, GBR, and finally my lions have something to hang a hat on!!!