the sporting news breaks down the seasons qb battles

I think Lee will start out the season as starter, but I don't think they will hesitate a bit if he goes south on us. I think Martinez may be the next in line, because I think he has really captured the imagination of Pelini and Watson, however, if Lee falters I could see them maybe putting both Green and Martinez in, maybe even at the same time.

Here is hoping Lee will recover and show us that most of what was wrong last year was directly related to injury.

:wtf

In almost every game last year, Lee performed like someone who broke into the locker room, tied up the starting qb and ran onto the field in the starter's place. He looked bad because he was bad. He wasn't hurt THAT badly. Did you ever see him in pain? Was his arm ever hanging lifeless at his side? (Insert joke here) We are in serious trouble again if he starts!

What I want to know is, since I didn't get to see the spring game, what makes everyone think Martinez can't handle the job? The writer of the article seems to believe TMart was impressive this spring, yet most on this board don't see that ability considering what's been posted. For me to think TMart or even Cody or Kody won't be the starter, the surgeon would have to not only fixed Lee's tendon, but attached Joe Montana's arm to Zac's shoulder.

I'm sticking to my Zac won't be the starter this year stance. :cop:

what are you talking about? seriously? are you drunk? is this a joke?

You have a wild amount of faith in 'anyone other than Lee.' The writer of an article thinks Taylor shows promise...interesting logic.

You realize if we're going to have a run next year, we can't have mistakes from the point man. With a freshman or a sophomore quarterback, mistakes and growing pains are what we are going to get. Even if Taylor Martinez is Terrelle Pryor - which he isn't, nearly - there would still be those green rookie mistakes at this stage in his career. Like Green's pick six against Baylor. Those guys, if they get into the game, they're going to be as overgeeked up as Lee was last year.

Lee's getting the system down and cooling his nerves hopefully. We'll see a calmer and more composed QB in the pocket this year, is my prediction. With another year, Lee will only get better. The other guys? They still need to get decent.

It true that Lee "can only get better" as he almost certainly can't get any worse.

Apparently I can't win this argument. I know I didn't lose it though! There's not much reason to think Lee will be any better. The O-line improving would be the biggest help. Barney is still coaching them though. Sorry, but I will continue to discount the injury thing. I promise to resurrect this thread come the first game next season. I'll either stand triumphant or eat crow. If Lee is the starter, I know what the offense will be eating next year. :madash

Hold on a second now.... You are giving Cotton a pass but not Lee? We all know what an underperforming line can do to a QB's performance.... I don't think Nebraska has a shot at being big12 champs without a healthy and effective Lee.

Apparently I can't win this argument. I know I didn't lose it though! There's not much reason to think Lee will be any better. The O-line improving would be the biggest help. Barney is still coaching them though. Sorry, but I will continue to discount the injury thing. I promise to resurrect this thread come the first game next season. I'll either stand triumphant or eat crow. If Lee is the starter, I know what the offense will be eating next year. :madash

Hold on a second now.... You are giving Cotton a pass but not Lee? We all know what an underperforming line can do to a QB's performance.... I don't think Nebraska has a shot at being big12 champs without a healthy and effective Lee.

Don't understand what you took exception to, I was just saying not to count on dramatic O-line improvement with Barney at the helm. :nanalama

Don't understand what you took exception to, I was just saying not to count on dramatic O-line improvement with Barney at the helm. :nanalama

This is the most ludacrous argument around. If anyone but Zac starts we will struggle in our own division. If Zac starts we have a chance to win it all. You try throwing with a torn ligament in your elbow then come back and talk. By the way the injury occured in the 2nd game of the year.

even missing an elbow ligament, Lee was 20 times the passer CG was. I have never seen so many 15 yard throws go 7 yard straight to the turf. Tmart will be a good runner but he is the worst passer of the group.

Bottom Line,

CG not that good. If he was the second coming like some of you think he would not be here. He would be at Texas.

Tmart will never be the answer because he can't throw.

I would trade 100 rushing yards from our QB for a QB who gets us 30-40 but can bring us back from 10 down in the 4th which TMart and CG cannot do. Lets see 3 and 13 down 10 with 6 minutes left. Are you really going to be happy when TMart or CG takes the snap and runs an option or a naked boot because we can't complete a pass.

Those that Hope Tmart or CG start are those that could care less how the season goes because there is at least 4 losses with either one, but Lee gives us a chance to win them all

This is the most ludacrous argument around. If anyone but Zac starts we will struggle in our own division. If Zac starts we have a chance to win it all. You try throwing with a torn ligament in your elbow then come back and talk. By the way the injury occured in the 2nd game of the year.

even missing an elbow ligament, Lee was 20 times the passer CG was. I have never seen so many 15 yard throws go 7 yard straight to the turf. Tmart will be a good runner but he is the worst passer of the group.

Bottom Line,

CG not that good. If he was the second coming like some of you think he would not be here. He would be at Texas.

I would trade 100 rushing yards from our QB for a QB who gets us 30-40 but can bring us back from 10 down in the 4th which TMart and CG cannot do. Lets see 3 and 13 down 10 with 6 minutes left. Are you really going to be happy when TMart or CG takes the snap and runs an option or a naked boot because we can't complete a pass.

Those that Hope Tmart or CG start are those that could care less how the season goes because there is at least 4 losses with either one, but Lee gives us a chance to win them all

Well, as much as I hate to agree, the only way we make a run at a title is with Lee at the helm.

I would say we could run some 2 QB system, but nobody is ever going to win a title without a true # 1 QB.

Green is still not the QB I thought that he would be and I am starting to think he may never be.

TMart is intriging, given time I think his short passing game could improve and we KNOW he can run better than Lee.

With the favorable schedule, I say stick with Lee.

If not, lets just run the wildrex formation!!!!!!!!!!

Lee gave us a chance to lose to Iowa freakin State. I have yet to say that someone is better than Lee. I'm assuming, given his horrid play, that there must be somebody better. Unfortunately I couldn't see the spring game to judge the talent. But, I know Lee has none. My point is, if we don't have a better qb than Lee, we have apparently done the worst job of recruiting qb's known to man. His arm stinks. Mine might just be better. I can't believe that we don't have a better qb on the roster. Lee, as a runner, is even worse. Someone would have to have no legs at all to not be 3 times the ball carrier. You say CG can only throw a 15 yard pattern 7 yards. I say when he can get it halfway there, start him. :star:star:star

I still long for the days when we could stick in a third string walk-on QB and beat a top 20 ranked team. Or, we could lose our Heisman hopeful RB and plug in a freshman RB without skipping a beat. This all occurred because of our pipeline. We had one of if not the best OL in college football. Until we get a better performing OL, it really isn't going to matter who's under center.

I still long for the days when we could stick in a third string walk-on QB and beat a top 20 ranked team. Or, we could lose our Heisman hopeful RB and plug in a freshman RB without skipping a beat. This all occurred because of our pipeline. We had one of if not the best OL in college football. Until we get a better performing OL, it really isn't going to matter who's under center.

After reading your first sentence, I was going to respond with what you put in your 3rd, fourth and fifth sentences. Regardless of who starts, they'll need some line help. :koolaid2:

Lee WILL be the starting QB. He is no Joe Montana and no one is arguing that. Although i feel like i am in the minority when it comes to the support of Lee. Most people close to me just heckle me about it to get me fired up. But Lee is our best option. He DID play all season hurt. commend him for that. Iowa state did not fall squarly on lees shoulders. there was the fantom fumble that paul had where the INVISIBLE CYCLONE came up behind him and swirled the ball out. then fumbles inside the redzone by helu 2 times if i recall correctly and then mcneils crazy interception thingy mabob. If any of those plays dont happen we win the game. Granted the entire game was crap. But it wasnt like lee lost the game for us. In all of this season the offensive woes had more to do with playcalling by watts than anything else imo. I foresee lee having a much better season offensivly. I think everyone will be impressed with his leadership and control of the O.

Lee gave us a chance to lose to Iowa freakin State.

Really? I think that had a lot more to do than just Lee. How about the 4 fumbles mainly Niles' fumble when running untouched. That game was an awful performance saying that any single player put us in that posittion, is just unfair.

I have yet to say that someone is better than Lee. I'm assuming, given his horrid play, that there must be somebody better. Unfortunately I couldn't see the spring game to judge the talent. But, I know Lee has none.

I am going to ask again. Why is your evaluation of Lee so much differant than the coaches? Even Cody Green said that it was Zac's job to lose, so what about Lee is so terrible that everyone else is missing?

My point is, if we don't have a better qb than Lee, we have apparently done the worst job of recruiting qb's known to man. His arm stinks. Mine might just be better. I can't believe that we don't have a better qb on the roster. Lee, as a runner, is even worse. Someone would have to have no legs at all to not be 3 times the ball carrier. You say CG can only throw a 15 yard pattern 7 yards. I say when he can get it halfway there, start him. :star:star:star

Com'on have you really resulted to bashing a husker like this? Sure didn't look to shabby in the holiday bowl.

• Fire 1

Bottom Line,

Whoa, Travis, your jumping the gun a little bit aren't you there buddy?

Pre-injury Lee played well enough. He wasn't great against VT but he nailed his target three times in the endzone. None ended-up as td's but that wasn't Lee's fault. Plus Lee had credible games against KU and 'zona. His inability to buy time and make plays with his feet was maddening at times and I was good with him getting benched after the ISU debacle. But we don't know how much his play was affected by the injury, maybe just a little, maybe a lot. Just have to wait and see what happens.

I'd say chances are Lee starts in the Fall. He has experience and experience has been shown to count. But I won't shed any tears if he doesn't get the nod and will be excited about whichever guy they think can win us more games this season. I do think we need to get TMart out on the field, at-least as a wildcat guy.