Haymarket Arena and its impact on Husker Basketball

Nebraska is finally stepping up to the plate and building a new multi-purpose arena, whose primary occupants will be the Huskers Mens and Womens basketball teams. We've been saying for years that the Bob is a weight around the neck of Nebraska coaches, whose facilities are outstripped by most other teams in the conference.

In June, Nebraska breaks ground on a new practice facility adjacent to the Devaney Center, a facility that most (if not all) other Big 12 members already have an equivalent to.

I'm excited for the Arena Project for many reasons, most of which have more to do with the growth of Lincoln rather than the Huskers, but in general I see this as a very positive step forward for the Huskers.

EDIT - here's a list of planned amenities:

Tom Osborne and Harvey Perlman today addressed details about Nebraska’s involvement with the new Haymarket Arena project, which Lincoln voters approved Tuesday night.

The 16,000-seat arena will include 36 suites – 32 controlled by the city, and four by UNL. There will be 100 to 120 loge seats, which will be sold by the city, but the revenue will be split with UNL.

There will be 800 club seats, and UNL will keep any surcharge on those seats for basketball.

Student seating – likely on the court ends in the lower level – will be between 2,000 and 2,500 seats.

The rest of the lower bowl will have 4,700 reserved seats, with 8,000 seats in the upper sections.

it wont hurt. Its sad how far we fell behind even ther likes of iowa state as far as basketball and practice facilities. And if the move to the big watever conference happens...its REALLY needed with the possibility of how significant a basketball conference it could become. And can you imagine nebraska vs penn state volleyball at the bob? Rockin.

Well put. For those that dont live in state anymore, it got pretty nasty up here. The LJS website is a waste land of misinformation, mud slinging etc. I am with Knappic on this I really hope this project moves not only the BB teams to higher levels, but helps put Lincoln on the map for events, concerts, etc. Once this is complete we will have facilities that are on par or better than all but the biggest programs in the country. I truly think this is a wise investment for the future of Lincoln, and a way to improve recruiting and the image of Husker sports, outside of football.

I thought V-Ball was staying put, am I wrong on this? :dunno

Well put. For those that dont live in state anymore, it got pretty nasty up here. The LJS website is a waste land of misinformation, mud slinging etc. I am with Knappic on this I really hope this project moves not only the BB teams to higher levels, but helps put Lincoln on the map for events, concerts, etc. Once this is complete we will have facilities that are on par or better than all but the biggest programs in the country. I truly think this is a wise investment for the future of Lincoln, and a way to improve recruiting and the image of Husker sports, outside of football.

I believe John Cook thinks the Colosseum gives the V-ball team a huge home-court advantage. But I think that 15,000 seats could be nearly sold out for the season. I mean - geez - last season all tickets were gone in 1 hour.

I believe John Cook thinks the Colosseum gives the V-ball team a huge home-court advantage. But I think that 15,000 seats could be nearly sold out for the season. I mean - geez - last season all tickets were gone in 1 hour.

Cooker is right and I'd hate to see the VB team leave the Coliseum. That's a heck of a great place to watch a volleyball match. I've seen dozens and dozens of thrilling matches against top opponents there. In the days before rally scoring I once saw Nebraska beat a team 15-0, 15-1 and 15-2. Three points given up for an entire match. Unreal. And that's not taking into consideration the matches against Penn State, Hawaii, Texas, Florida, etc. that I've seen over the years, leaving the Coliseum with ears ringing because it was so loud. So very, very loud.

The Bob is an OK venue for the VB team to play at once in a while, but not on a regular basis.

You've been away longer than I have. Devaney opened in 1976, nearly 35 years ago.

From what I've heard, it doesn't have the facilities that many modern music performances require. I don't know specifically what that means--maybe it's for the stage and props, or support for the lighting, or what.

I'd hope Haymarket also has suites, which are a big revenue producer.

The other thing is, Devaney is UNL property, and I don't know how much it can be used for other things. I know there used to be concerts there was I was in school. But if you can't have them at Devaney, you have to go to Pershing, which was aging 30 years ago. Or of course, you have it at the new arena in Omaha, but Lincoln and Omaha never have played well together.

Whether this is worth the price tag, I don't know. I was just back there a week ago and heard a lot about it, and the # of permanent jobs to be created seemed way inflated. And all these numbers about how other arenas are making money don't seem to take at all into account the cost of construction. In other words, if a building magically appeared on the site, it would be a money maker, but ignoring the $300M+ capital cost is just wrong. Maybe it really well generate enough development and more dining dollars in downtown/Haymarket. I'm glad I'm not the one paying for this, save for the restaurant tax when I visit.

I don't mean to restart the debate. The vote is in, easily in favor of the arena. Hope it works out.

VA Husker, you're right about the inflated # of jobs. They're only going to create about 150 permanent jobs (and that may be a high number), but the Arena proponents have been touting a number over 1,000. I'm too lazy to go look it up, but that 1K+ number entails construction jobs over a three year period, and it's a calculation of man hours, not specific jobs. When construction ends many of those jobs end, too.

But that's only for the arena, not the other ancillary projects on the side. They're putting in office and retail space, and those could create jobs as well. On top of that, the whole area will be fixed up, landscaped, and made more useful for the city. Even if you never go to a concert or basketball game, you should get SOME use out of the project as a whole. If nothing else, it gives Lincoln a modern facility to in which to hold events, something the Devaney Center and Pershing most certainly are not.

I have gotten into some debate with some older folks about the arena. Their more concerned about the roads in the winter time, then getting a new arena. They think some money should be used, to permanently fix the potholes. Its kinda comical. I tell them Im tired of Lincoln falling behind and the arena will help attract concerts and other projects. I remind them how pathetic it is that we lose state volleyball and the state fair to the wonderful city of Grand Island :wtf , and next will be state basketball and all the money that comes into lincoln during those weekends. And they complain about the restraunt tax, I remind them if they can afford a $50 meal then you can afford $52 meal.

Ok Im gonna stop, Im glad we are getting a new arena, hopefully everybody comes out winner.

i'll bring this conversation back to the original topic:

yes, this CAN be the spark needed, but i don't think it is gauranteed. just think, if in the next few months doc can get at least one (dare i say two?) great assistant hired, i'm talkin either hot up-and-comer or proven, veteran assistant. then he goes out and makes a bit of a splash by picking up one more decent recruit, doesn't have to be a five star but somebody that is a good get. all it takes then is a half-way successful season. next year he has a lot to sell: an athletic department proving it has decided to commit to basketball, a brand new arena being built, a brad new, state-of-the-art practice facility, coaching staff improvements and recruiting momentum (IF he gets that good coach and decent recruit this summer). i really think it could start to snowball things. of course, doc could also settle for two average assistants and add a walk-on caliber player, go sub .500 next year and lose all momentum the new arena is creating.

• 2 months later...

I heard that the new Lincoln arena will be too small for a hockey rink. If this is true, then they need to redesign it in case UNL wants a hockey team at some point, or to get like an NHL preseason game.

I heard Sipple on Big Red Wrap Up talking about that. Cant believe somebody would design a state of art arena and not have dimensions big enough for to have a hockey rink. We got some geniuses designing our arena. :sarcasm