Who will be 1-2-3-4 of the 30 best Huskers?

Anyone been following the 30 best players countdown thing? link They’re down to the last four now.

Who do you think will be 1-2-3-4?

My guess is: 1)Tommie, 2)Jet, 3)Suh and 4)Glover.

btw, That's not necessarily how I would rank them. But I think it's how the countdown will play out based on MNCs, Heismans, etc.

Not Glover, he is pre 1980. Think Rozier.

1) Jet 2) Rozier 3) Suh 4) Frazier

Not that I agree with that.

The Jet is pre 1980 as well

:facepalm:

Yeah, must be Grant.

#1 should and will be Tommie Frazier

#2 should have been Dave Rimington

#3 should be Mike Rozier

#4 should be Ndamukong Suh

Grant Wistrom in all his greatness should be #5 and Eric Crouch should be #6.

Frazier and Rimington are the two best in college football history at their respective positions. Suh was awesome but he isn't the Greatest College DL of All Time and the same goes for Rozier at RB. IMO

I agree with your list. Good points all around. If you have a positional trophy named after you . . . you should probably be in the top 3.

I never understood the hate for Crouch, he carried that team even more than suh carried us last year. It's not his fault we got blown out against Colorado, and Miami was simply the better team...

He was the team that year. The problem was he also was the reason Nebraska is in the fix that their in now with this offense though some of the blame could be contributed to Solich relying to much on one player.

Lord tried to do the same and wasn't good enough, but the lack of any rb and fb production didn't help either.

Always found it strange that it was the defense that was the problem in 2001,but everyone couldn't wait to get rid of an offense that took Nebraska to 5 NC game and a possible 6 in 1999. In another words they kept the bad defense and dropped the offense.

I never understood the hate for Crouch, he carried that team even more than suh carried us last year. It's not his fault we got blown out against Colorado, and Miami was simply the better team...

He was the team that year. The problem was he also was the reason Nebraska is in the fix that their in now with this offense though some of the blame could be contributed to Solich relying to much on one player.

Lord tried to do the same and wasn't good enough, but the lack of any rb and fb production didn't help either.

Always found it strange that it was the defense that was the problem in 2001,but everyone couldn't wait to get rid of an offense that took Nebraska to 5 NC game and a possible 6 in 1999. In another words they kept the bad defense and dropped the offense.

I don't see how you blame Crouch or the Crouch situation for an offense 8-9 years later. Solich was fired for whatever reason Pederson had in mind, but I don't think that reason was a too QB centric offense. It may well have been the result of that offense. Just because Crouch was a very capable one-man gang doesn't mean that Solich had to stay with that kind of offense after he left. Callahan came in and was going to put in his offense, no matter if the QB is dominant or is mainly pitching to an I-back. It's evolved somewhat with Watson but that's even farther removed from the effect of Crouch.

Suppose Crouch never came back from Omaha early in his redshirt freshman year. That means Newcombe stays at QB, and after his injury I don't think he was going to have the kind of success Crouch did. We might do worse and Solich loses his job earlier, and we still change offenses. At best case, we still make it to the Orange Bowl after the 2001 season and lose to a great Miami team. Then Lord takes over, and we probably have the same 2002-2003.

I don't have much respect for Crouch quitting the NFL like he did, but he put those Husker teams on his back and took good teams a lot farther than they should've gone, IMO.

anyone who blames crouch has a short memory. He was AMAZING that year. He had almost NO support and basically made us a national title contender on his own will and desire. he was also TOUGH! He was blasting defensive players on almost every play and getting up knowing that he was going to have to do it again on the next play because he was the entire offense. The man would stay in bounds just to crush another guy and pick up another 2 yards. We have not seen anyone as tough on offense since the day he left.

he didn't do well in the pros, and he made some comments that were head scratchers--but don't let that take away from his play. The man was clutch in college, and if he was on the team last year we are national champions (and easily, in my opinion)

• Fire 2

It won't be Roger Craig. chuckleshuffle

Though how Johnny Mitchell wasn't in the top 30 is very strange. One of the best pass catchers Nebraska ever had in a Receiver or Tightend.

I believe he left early. That may exclude him, if true.

If Craig, who had one of the better pro careers, is left off, it would be a shame. One real good player is missing the boat either way. :espnsucks:

Fryar at 9 seems a little low. Played about 10 years in the pros!!! Should be top 5 or 6 in my opinion.

I believe it was more like 17 years.

I don't see how you blame Crouch or the Crouch situation for an offense 8-9 years later. Solich was fired for whatever reason Pederson had in mind, but I don't think that reason was a too QB centric offense. It may well have been the result of that offense. Just because Crouch was a very capable one-man gang doesn't mean that Solich had to stay with that kind of offense after he left. Callahan came in and was going to put in his offense, no matter if the QB is dominant or is mainly pitching to an I-back. It's evolved somewhat with Watson but that's even farther removed from the effect of Crouch.

Suppose Crouch never came back from Omaha early in his redshirt freshman year. That means Newcombe stays at QB, and after his injury I don't think he was going to have the kind of success Crouch did. We might do worse and Solich loses his job earlier, and we still change offenses. At best case, we still make it to the Orange Bowl after the 2001 season and lose to a great Miami team. Then Lord takes over, and we probably have the same 2002-2003.

I don't have much respect for Crouch quitting the NFL like he did, but he put those Husker teams on his back and took good teams a lot farther than they should've gone, IMO.

All I meant was that Crouch was a crutch for Solich and when the Crutch disappeared Solich had no one to lean on. If Solich would have buildt some form of running game other the QB Nebraska would have been the better for it. Face it Crouch was a one man option and it was usualy himself.

If Nebraska was running anywhere near the same kind of offense they ran in the 80's and 90's Nebraska probably close to another NC with the defense they had last year. Just IMO.

All I meant was that Crouch was a crutch for Solich and when the Crutch disappeared Solich had no one to lean on. If Solich would have buildt some form of running game other the QB Nebraska would have been the better for it. Face it Crouch was a one man option and it was usualy himself.

If Nebraska was running anywhere near the same kind of offense they ran in the 80's and 90's Nebraska probably close to another NC with the defense they had last year. Just IMO.

Yes, Crouch wasn't a good option QB. He went with his strengths and took us to the NC game. Once Crouch left his part in this was done. The blame in keeping the QB-centric offense lies entirely with Solich and staff. Once Solich was gone none of them have any responsibility for the type of offense we run now. So I guess you wanted Solich to stay, but a different Solich than the Solich we actually had, one who didn't keep us on that QB centric offense, right?

That 80s/90s offense was great when we had the horses, but when we didn't have the talent, it was inept against a good defense. We didn't do well controlling the line of scrimmage in a lot of games last year, I don't see how that team would've run the 80s/90s offense well.

The offense isn't the key, the key is the personnel. We could run a West Coast offense, Power-I, Option, Wishbone, Spread, whatever. If we don't have the personnel, we're not going to score.

Of course, there's coaching, health, luck, etc that plays a factor in that equation, but the base of the pyramid is the personnel.

No doubt Frazier and Suh are the last 2. Rozier was an amazing back, but he did have a great line too, plus Gill/Fryar as a passing threat opened things up too.

I have no problem leaving Craig off the list. Pro career should have nothing to do with this. He did have fumble problems, and then was overshadowed by Rozier. I certainly liked him then and now as a Husker, but not as a top 30 great.

Was Phillips on the list? I think he was top 10 for what he did on the field, though I can see leaving him off for his off-field actions that took him off the field.