Enough!

Take it easy champ. No reason to get all out of whack here.

But honestly, what has the Big XII done for us since we joined that we couldn't do ourselves? Beebe couldn't run a gas station let alone the Big XII. He is incompetent and the only way we should stay is if he goes and Texas gives some concessions on things. Otherwise, we should just wash our hands of them. You can slap a Nebraska man a few times, but there will be a point where he won't take it anymore and knock you on your behind. This ultimatum we just got, to most of us, is the last slap we are going to take from these clowns. You call it emotion, but I call it not putting up with their sh#t anymore.

I think the Big 12 is royally mismanaged, so we are on the same page there.

I also think Nebraska has become increasingly thin-skinned. No matter the action, seems as though everyone says "That's it...last straw!"

If Nebraska wasn't highly valued by the conference, no ultimatum would have been delivered.

And if no ultimatum had been delivered, we all would have been crying "They don't even care enough that we're considering leaving!"

We're moving to the Big 10 if the invite comes. Our feelings are hurt too bad, and we're too sensitive now to judge anything rationally at all.

Hope it turns out.

Well I am not happy with the whole thing. I only put my faith in TO doing whatever he thinks is best (and Pearlman listens carefully to him too). I would miss seeing us play OU, KU, and CU I have to say. I am just glad that I don't have to make the decision, because I would tell Beebe a few things during those meetings. I am also glad, because my opinion doesn't have any effect on NU's decision so I can say anything here and it won't matter haha. I get your concerns and they are always in the back of my mind. My biggest concern is everyone else jumping ship and we are the ones left wondering what happened, instead of being the ones that come out of this thing in good shape.

You really think Tom Osborne is going to let himself get carried away by his emotions?

You're new to Husker fandom, right?

You really think you should be a MOD and be so arrogant? I've got the same concerns as C-4.

This is going to be a mistake and 4 years down the road when we're busting our arses to break .500 I expect you to man up and swallow that sort of b.s.

I'm glad I'm not like you.

Nothing in the MOD handbook says I can't speak my mind.

And Texas may have a hard time breaking .500 in four years, but frankly, I don't care. That'll be your concern.

:rollin

Seriously...an ultimatum is not giving us respect. Texass feels we should all be so lucky to be in their conference and we are disrespecting them by looking elsewhere. This ultimatum is meant to put us in our place as was that hokey pac10 story. Texas wants us to stay but they're too proud to come out and say it. But again...none of us affect this outcome so either you trust the university or you don't. If we stay I'm cool with their decision.

I also don't believe Knapplc was making personal attacks. He just likes facts. Plus your concerns are portrayed as kind of over the top... You can take it personal or just stand up for yourself and we're all cool with that.

it's all good.

I hope we make the right call, and I know I'm currently in the minority thinking that we should stay put.

But I wouldn't stay put without some conditions. My biggest beef is TU's desire not to play along with a Big 12 network.

The other stuff - Jerry's World, the league offices, the last second - are things that could be argued either way forever more, but aren't good reasons to leave a conference.

I have some huge problems with the Big 10, but I've made those known. About the only benefits that are being touted are more $$$, and more "prestige". As if those two things are the be-all, end-all. I don't think that they are, and I think that over time that fact will come clear.

I see it as a gamble of unprecedented proportions, with a true "payout" that is highly questionable.

it's all good.

I hope we make the right call, and I know I'm currently in the minority thinking that we should stay put.

But I wouldn't stay put without some conditions. My biggest beef is TU's desire not to play along with a Big 12 network.

The other stuff - Jerry's World, the league offices, the last second - are things that could be argued either way forever more, but aren't good reasons to leave a conference.

I have some huge problems with the Big 10, but I've made those known. About the only benefits that are being touted are more $$$, and more "prestige". As if those two things are the be-all, end-all. I don't think that they are, and I think that over time that fact will come clear.

I see it as a gamble of unprecedented proportions, with a true "payout" that is highly questionable.

Ease off the panic button a bit. Were you this panicked when we joined the Big 12? If not, why not? The money is better in the Big 10, both athletically and academically. The prestige most certainly is there. The ability to make Nebraska a better educational institution is most certainly real, and has recent examples of success.

Speaking strictly from an athletic point of view, we would benefit in football by rubbing elbows with three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football - four if Notre Dame joins. That would make, including Nebraska and Notre Dame, five of the top seven teams all time in one conference. That's a heck of a football pedigree. And as we've seen with Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC, etc, just because a program is down now doesn't mean they'll stay down when they have the kind of fan bases and support structures like a Michigan.

it's all good.

Ease off the panic button a bit. Were you this panicked when we joined the Big 12? If not, why not? The money is better in the Big 10, both athletically and academically. The prestige most certainly is there. The ability to make Nebraska a better educational institution is most certainly real, and has recent examples of success.

Speaking strictly from an athletic point of view, we would benefit in football by rubbing elbows with three of the top seven teams with the most wins in college football - four if Notre Dame joins. That would make, including Nebraska and Notre Dame, five of the top seven teams all time in one conference. That's a heck of a football pedigree. And as we've seen with Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC, etc, just because a program is down now doesn't mean they'll stay down when they have the kind of fan bases and support structures like a Michigan.

ND adds some sizzle to be sure; I just don't think they're coming on board.

My concern overall is that NU is leaving its roots, which is the western edge of the midwest and even south (NE, KS, CO, OK) to do this deal. Texas to a lesser degree. If our college kids can't attend road games without catching a flight, then something has really gotten out of whack.

I also think that we have some neighborly responsibility to our other midwest friends that we have shared a conference with for a long, long time. KSU, KU, ISU, OU, OSU, and CU to a lesser degree. I feel genuinely sorry for programs like KSU that are in even more isolated markets than Lincoln, and I feel we owe them more than this.

The Big 10 might be a better deal financially and with the "prestige", but that league isn't Nebraska culture and won't ever be. Square peg forced into a round hole for a grab for cash and perceived prestige.

I don't like it.

As for the Big 12 formation, I liked it because I thought the geography was still a good fit and that some new rivalries would be born. And the Texas culture fits very well with the Oklahoma, KS, and NE culture. We certainly have a lot more collectively in common (agriculture, farming, ranching, and energy) than any of the rust belt states. There is a lot of commonality among the Big 12 schools - bullying by UT athletics aside.

it's all good.

ND adds some sizzle to be sure; I just don't think they're coming on board.

My concern overall is that NU is leaving its roots, which is the western edge of the midwest and even south (NE, KS, CO, OK) to do this deal. Texas to a lesser degree. If our college kids can't attend road games without catching a flight, then something has really gotten out of whack.

I also think that we have some neighborly responsibility to our other midwest friends that we have shared a conference with for a long, long time. KSU, KU, ISU, OU, OSU, and CU to a lesser degree. I feel genuinely sorry for programs like KSU that are in even more isolated markets than Lincoln, and I feel we owe them more than this.

The Big 10 might be a better deal financially and with the "prestige", but that league isn't Nebraska culture and won't ever be. Square peg forced into a round hole for a grab for cash and perceived prestige.

I don't like it.

As for the Big 12 formation, I liked it because I thought the geography was still a good fit and that some new rivalries would be born. And the Texas culture fits very well with the Oklahoma, KS, and NE culture. We certainly have a lot more collectively in common (agriculture, farming, ranching, and energy) than any of the rust belt states. There is a lot of commonality among the Big 12 schools - bullying by UT athletics aside.

Cash grab? Yes, its a gigantic boost in revenue for BOTH our schools. In the long term, remaining in the Big XII is SIMPLY NOT financially viable if our ADs would like to remain nationally competitive at any meaningful level. Nebraska currently brings home 9 million per year, Mizzou around 8.4. Northwestern took home 14 million. Not to mention the immense academic benefits of joining the conference. There is no substantive reason to remain in the Big 12, and doing so would be a short sighted choice driven by nostalgia, not rationality.

About the recruiting...didn't we got some awesome players from nebraska...ahman green, courtney grixby, niles paul

We have always gotten talent from across the country...we tommy frazier from florida, we have numerous kids on scholarship right now from california, and, yes, texas

the money we roll in on research and the athletic department

and isn't the weather in the big 11 country pretty much the same as us in nebraska???

Nice discussion guys...

After reading all this stuff, I am left with just a couple thoughts.

When the Big 12 was forming, Tom Osborne had a couple concerns. The first was that Texas and Texas A&M had large football budgets and the potential to be good. OU could then come back and make for a meat grinder threesome in the south. Add to that, the Big 12 title game would be a national eliminator, and it was for NU under Oz with that upset loss to the Longhorns. Oz also didn't really want to lose the week of recruiting in order to play the title game.

These days, Texas and OU are the dominant teams. A&M is not, but has the money and could become very good very quick under the right coach. Oz was right. The conference title game is a national eliminator. Texas almost felt the other end of the deal had we pulled the upset in December. As for the recruiting thing, I think teams adapted, but I can see Oz's point.

The academic and money stuff is real. No dispute about that. But there are other pressures. Other conferences are looking to expand. CU has always been rumored to the Pac 10 since those schools seem to fit with a Cal-Berkley East operation that is Boulder. The Pac 10s interest in other Big 12 schools is new, however. The Big 10 talk has created a stir too. The North may feel a lack of love because the power has been in the south for a while now. All the teams are trying to figure out what to do, but Nebraska has reason to look because Oz never felt we were a fit here anyway.

Lastly, as it pertains to recruiting and competition, well, we don't know, but here is the deal, should we bolt for Big 10 land and my fear is right, we end up fourth or fifth fiddle, football irrelevance might be a few bad seasons away, and there will be nothing we can do to change it then!!

The Husker's joining the big 10 make's sense only by the more money we would get, and that may not be that much more if the Big 12 gets a simular deal that the SEC has for TV. Sure Texas getting some bonuses for being the big dog, but nothing we can't handle on the football field. The Huskers are back with Bo at the helm, and which scenario would favor the Huskers getting to a BCS game. I think with Bo we would play in the Big 12 championship game almost every year. We win that one were looking at a BCS bowl if not the MNC game. I don't see us loosing many games in the Northern division, but if we go to the Big 10 the road gets much tougher. The top of the Big 10 is pretty simular to the top of the Big 12, but the bottom of the Big 10 seems to me much tougher than the bottom feeders of the Big 12. Not that we couldn't win the Big 10, I just think it would be much harder than in our current position in the Big 12. I would love nothing more beating Texas or Ou in the Big 12 Championship game. Lets stay in the Big 12 and dish out a little ass whooping.