ESPN update

Nebraska's three options

9:46AM ET

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Top Email

Steven M. Sipple of Husker Extra has been following closely the conference expansion scenarios and how they can and will affect Nebraska.

He says he spoke with Tom Osborne on Saturday and asked him if the reported deadline handed down by the Big 12 was indeed true, and "T.O." refuted what the Texas media has been reporting. Still, moves are afoot and Sipple lays out three of the likeliest scenarios based on his sources.

First and most attractive to Nebraska is a Big Ten invite. Sipple says his sources in the athletic department are certain an invite will come, although nothing is definite. Second is remaining in the Big 12, which is not a letdown but would certainly mean hanging around in a league that is on shaky ground at best.

Finally, no Nebraska fan wants to hear this, but the Mountain West Conference could become a possibility if Texas and half the Big 12 pack up for the Pac-10, leaving the rest of the schools to fend for themselves.

The deadline, according to Sipple, is more like the Big 12 telling Nebraska, "You had better hope you get that Big Ten invitation, because we're not waiting around for you much longer."

I honestly think the MWC talk is laughable and would only happen if everything went wrong that could go wrong. But these are uncertain times and nothing can be ruled out.

The Pac 10 offer isn't real. Remember when Big XII AD's and Beebe met w/ Pac 10 officials? They cooked this up to call NU and Mizzou's bluff. It will be hilarious when this sh#t backfires on them and they're left with a 9-10 team league.

f#*k Texas.

The more I read and think about this, Texas will NOT join another conference unless it gets a VERY sweet deal - like the ability to have their own network (not going to happen with Pac 10 or Big 10), to select their own puppet commish and dictatorial power for life. If NU/MU leaves they bring in TCU to replace NU and LaLa to replace MU.

The Pac 10 offer isn't real. Remember when Big XII AD's and Beebe met w/ Pac 10 officials? They cooked this up to call NU and Mizzou's bluff. It will be hilarious when this sh#t backfires on them and they're left with a 9-10 team league.

f#*k Texas.

The more I read and think about this, Texas will NOT join another conference unless it gets a VERY sweet deal - like the ability to have their own network (not going to happen with Pac 10 or Big 10), to select their own puppet commish and dictatorial power for life. If NU/MU leaves they bring in TCU to replace NU and LaLa to replace MU.

I really don't think they're going to bring in TCU if NU/MU leave... TCU is a small school in a state that they already have command over. They gain nothing by adding TCU. It's all about TV pull. I just hope that we have a ticket to the Big 10, because the MWC would really suck ass.

f#*k Texas.

I really don't think they're going to bring in TCU if NU/MU leave... TCU is a small school in a state that they already have command over. They gain nothing by adding TCU. It's all about TV pull. I just hope that we have a ticket to the Big 10, because the MWC would really suck ass.

Exactly. Texas wants their own network, and being in control of their own conference is the only way that is going to happen. Joining another conference puts a dagger into those plans.

Nah if you absolutley had to go MWC then we do until the superconferences are formed and we are still in that mix. We would survive there. If Texas merges with the pac10 then the other conferences will follow suit and we will get an invite somewhere relevent. If they give us the boot (don't even think they can legally without ramifications) then we hang around MWC until the landscape changes.

f#*k Texas.

Well if they want the state of Nebraska so bad, have Omaha move up to FBS. ;) and they could take Southwest Missouri State in place of Missouri. The north is irrelevant anyway right?!

El Capiton, that will never happen, like it or not Texas has too much power, influence, and money not to be in a major player conference.

f#*k Texas.

Thinking about this a bit more, I think Texas approached the Pac-10 with this proposal. Texas wasn't serious about it, and the Pac-10 probably assumed as much. However, Texas being the gigantic cash cow that it is, the Pac-10 said they would be welcome on the off chance that they were actually serious about it. Texas created this rumor as a bargaining chip against Nebraska. There's a chance that the Pac-10 and Big XII (the "loyal" Big XII members, that is) put this together with the interest of getting a mega TV contract with Fox, but I think Texas is probably just up to their usual shenanigans.

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if the following happens: the Big Ten will finally make Notre Dame an offer they can't refuse, which puts to bed the whole mega conference thing. NU will stay in the Big XII. Boise State will go to the MWC, and those schools will be one major step closer to an automatic BCS bid. The whole system is still corrupt, though slightly less corrupt than it would be in the Pac-16/Big-16/SEC-enstein world that we find ourselves perilously close to right now (if you think the BCS is corrupt, just wait for what happens when most of the Big East and leftover Big XII teams aren't "eligible" for a "playoff" because they aren't in one of the 3 megaconferences).