Nebraska Football & The Big 12

JGS30

conference champtionship, partial qualifiers, etc.

And that's the biggest problem here. What is Nebraska that Kansas isn't? Why should Nebraska have 800+ wins all time, five national championships, over 30 conference championships, individual trophy winners that span decades and Academic All-Americans without peer? Why doesn't Kansas have these things, with a larger population and more economic wealth as a state? The answer is simple - at a crucial time in the development of Kansas sports, you lacked the will to build your football program in the same manner Nebraska did. You could have. You have better resources than we do. You have the ability - you just didn't.

OK KNAPP, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Try forming a College Football Power in a state that has less that 1.5 million people, plus being right besides a MAJOR METRO Area (Kansas City-in case you didn't have a map on hand) and having to compete with the Chiefs, Royals, and everything else the area has to offer. Then, throw in those PURPLE QUEERS TO THE WEST, Stealing half of your states fanbase and here we are today. We don't have the resources and fanbase you have. Let me re-phrase that-we may have better resources, but we must "share" them with others.....does that make since? The entire freaking state of Nebraska backs the team. Of course you have a huge advantage over us, not to mention, we invented Basketball and we all know how much that means to us. So spare me your comment about lacking the will. We had it, it's just difficult from a geographic standpoint my friend.

And now that football is the unquestioned king of college sports, and Nebraska has a rightful place near the top of college football's pyramid of power, you want us to sacrifice all of that and stay in a dysfunctional conference for... what? Sympathy?

• Fire 1

Regardless, there is no truth to the statement that you made us what we are today. We made us. And that's it.

EDIT - Kansas' population is 2.8 million people, nearly twice Nebraska's. It proves nothing, but it's important. And your GDP is nearly twice ours as well. Even if you had to split with the Cats, which you didn't because they were worse than you guys for the last 30 years, there was still ample resources to go around compared to Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Regardless, there is no truth to the statement that you made us what we are today. We made us. And that's it.

EDIT - Kansas' population is 2.8 million people, nearly twice Nebraska's. It proves nothing, but it's important. And your GDP is nearly twice ours as well. Even if you had to split with the Cats, which you didn't because they were worse than you guys for the last 30 years, there was still ample resources to go around compared to Nebraska.

Oh good grief get over it. I never said we completely made you what you are. The original Big 6 & 8 Conference helped. Never said we made you completely. Fine, leave the Big 12, but don't come crawling back when Michigan & Ohio State run things. There's a bully in every playground junior. I'd advise standing up to them, rather than running.

That's not accurate and you know it B-Rent. It's nothing against the University of Nebraska. Kansas and Nebraska has had close ties for many, many years. So you're saying that, as a Husker fan, you're alright with leaving a conference that your school benefited greatly from, along with ties and rivalry that started around the Civil War Days, long before our time, and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today? I don't believe ANY of the Huskers I know are cool withg that.

I say kick Texas, Dan Beebe, and the rest of the Texas schools out and start back with the Big 8 and look elsewhere to expend to 12. Screw Texas and the money ship they came in on.

actually that is very very accurate and i know it. im not trying to be an ass but frankly every other school was looking out for themselves when they made those votes (ie. more money and texas joining the big 8) and now that Nebraska is looking out for itself, those same schools are begging us not to do it.

i love tradition but to say that we owe any other school anything is asinine and inaccurate.

if the other 7 original big 8 members can look out for numero uno then so can the member that i root for and quite simply put they should.

on top of all of that, its not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the conferences realign. this has been brewing for a while now and its going to happen either now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now or so on.

So you're saying, because your school doesn't have the most money (ie Texas), you're cool with them leaving to start fresh at a new conference? I don't think you're being an ass at all. In fact, I enjoy the discussion. Yes, any of our schools have the right to look out for numero uno, but is this really the best move for Nebraska as a University? And for the cost of long time rivals and relationships built? What makes going to the Big 10 better? Sure, they have cost sharing now, but what if that changes....will you leave again? And if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, speculation is that Nebraska wouldn't be invited. Not much loyalty there, but then again, you're ready to leave the Big 12. Hmmmmmmm......

The reason Nebraska is considering the move is b/c the Big12 is an unstable conference. Missouri started this, Colorado might jump the other way. Nebraska has to look at other options to make sure we have something to do. The Big10 has a great revenue model and has been around for 100+ years.....the Big12 might fall apart in year 14.

and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today?

Here is what I don't understand.....we made ourselves into the power that we are today. Kansas did nothing to help turn us into what we are. We beat Kansas into the ground for YEARS.

I dont hear anyone saying thanks to the Husker Basketball team for turning Kansas into the Power they are today.

Nebraska's tradition is because of Nebraska and Nebraska only. Our conference was only a place to play. Rivalries we had, now those are a different story but we lost the only true rival anyone cares about when the Big 12 was formed.

I can't wait for the Big 10!

• Fire 1

Oh good grief get over it. I never said we completely made you what you are. The original Big 6 & 8 Conference helped. Never said we made you completely. Fine, leave the Big 12, but don't come crawling back when Michigan & Ohio State run things. There's a bully in every playground junior. I'd advise standing up to them, rather than running.

I've never heard Iowa, Minn, Wisconsin fans complain about OSU running things.

That's not accurate and you know it B-Rent. It's nothing against the University of Nebraska. Kansas and Nebraska has had close ties for many, many years. So you're saying that, as a Husker fan, you're alright with leaving a conference that your school benefited greatly from, along with ties and rivalry that started around the Civil War Days, long before our time, and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today? I don't believe ANY of the Huskers I know are cool withg that.

I say kick Texas, Dan Beebe, and the rest of the Texas schools out and start back with the Big 8 and look elsewhere to expend to 12. Screw Texas and the money ship they came in on.

actually that is very very accurate and i know it. im not trying to be an ass but frankly every other school was looking out for themselves when they made those votes (ie. more money and texas joining the big 8) and now that Nebraska is looking out for itself, those same schools are begging us not to do it.

i love tradition but to say that we owe any other school anything is asinine and inaccurate.

if the other 7 original big 8 members can look out for numero uno then so can the member that i root for and quite simply put they should.

on top of all of that, its not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the conferences realign. this has been brewing for a while now and its going to happen either now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now or so on.

So you're saying, because your school doesn't have the most money (ie Texas), you're cool with them leaving to start fresh at a new conference? I don't think you're being an ass at all. In fact, I enjoy the discussion. Yes, any of our schools have the right to look out for numero uno, but is this really the best move for Nebraska as a University? And for the cost of long time rivals and relationships built? What makes going to the Big 10 better? Sure, they have cost sharing now, but what if that changes....will you leave again? And if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, speculation is that Nebraska wouldn't be invited. Not much loyalty there, but then again, you're ready to leave the Big 12. Hmmmmmmm......

If the roles were reversed what would KU do? The same thing they've done in the Big 12! KU and the other members have bent over to Texas for one reason and one reason only, money. You don't screw what you think is the prettier girl and then run back to the one you set to the side when she takes the opportunity to find a more prestigous and wealthy suitor. The Big 10 IS tradition and prestige, NU just loses a hanger on in KU and the other north programs if they go. NU is who they are in spite of the old Big 8, not because of them. I'm mildly sorry that KU and the others became Texas's whores and now are about to be kicked to the curb, only because you were warned.

I truly, honestly feel bad for Kansas in this situation, but I do not accept the notion that Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri or Oklahoma State made Nebraska what it is today. If any outside school had any influence on us, it was Oklahoma. Perhaps later in our development Miami and Florida State had much influence, but not the six teams from the old Big 8.

Nebraska built Nebraska, period. Bob Devaney started the process in the 1960s of making an average program great. He then handed the reins to Tom Osborne, who poured his life into this program, and now is giving his golden years to the athletic department. Along the way strong coaches helped guide this team, strong players helped create the team's identity, and strong support staff made the sacrifices necessary to keep the whole thing going.

All the while, citizens of this state, many of whom never attended UNL, gave this program and this team their undying loyalty. For fifty years our fans have given blood, sweat and tears to this team. It was their support more than any other thing outside the walls of Memorial Stadium that made Nebraska what it is today, not Kansas or any other school in the Big 8.

Yes, Kansas and Kansans are our close neighbors, and we have a kinship both personal and professional that goes back over a century. But you cannot ask us to sacrifice this program that we have given so very much to over the years simply because you have not done the same.

And that's the biggest problem here. What is Nebraska that Kansas isn't? Why should Nebraska have 800+ wins all time, five national championships, over 30 conference championships, individual trophy winners that span decades and Academic All-Americans without peer? Why doesn't Kansas have these things, with a larger population and more economic wealth as a state? The answer is simple - at a crucial time in the development of Kansas sports, you lacked the will to build your football program in the same manner Nebraska did. You could have. You have better resources than we do. You have the ability - you just didn't.

And now that football is the unquestioned king of college sports, and Nebraska has a rightful place near the top of college football's pyramid of power, you want us to sacrifice all of that and stay in a dysfunctional conference for... what? Sympathy?

Like you said - there isn't a Nebraska fan out there who doesn't sympathize with Kansas' current plight. But sympathetic as we are, we cannot hold ourselves back for you. And if we are the brothers you say we are, you wouldn't ask us to.

This is why I am proud to be a Husker!

• Fire 1

Perhaps your institution should do that. Stand up to texass. Tell them they owe it to the original big8 because they had no home after destroying their conference. Why should this be our fight? We tried to fight it from day 1.

• Fire 1

We tried that, but it's difficult to do when your "pals" rarely have your back.

Football excluded, being part of the Big 10 gets us into the CIC. Speaking solely from a University standpoint, that is the best any university outside of the Ivy set could hope for.

Not only okay with it, looking forward to it. It'd have been fine if the conference didn't bend over backwards to give Texas everything it wanted when it joined and more or less from that point forward. Its not anymore, the big 12 isn't in a position to survive without Texas either but the status quo is leaving this conference in an arms race where only Texas will be the clear winner. What are we all going to do once they have the longhorn network, etc? No other school can compete with the dollars they can bring by creating our own. A merger with the PAC10 would be horrible and that's really the only other half decent option.

It all might have worked out better without the ultimatums and threats, but at this point there is probably no future in the big 12 conference. So hopefully, its goodbye and good luck to the north, good riddance to the south, and on to greener pastures for UNL.

Perhaps your institution should do that. Stand up to texass. Tell them they owe it to the original big8 because they had no home after destroying their conference. Why should this be our fight? We tried to fight it from day 1.

On one of the Texas message boards I asked if anybody knew of any vote going against Texas. One poster said the football coaches wouldn't revise the divisional tie breaker rule (which really is a wash - who is to say that Texas might benefit next year with the same rule) and another couldn't think of anything major.

Then (after 7 months on their board) they noticed my login name and started calling me a retard

Its 60min01sec

On one of the Texas message boards I asked if anybody knew of any vote going against Texas. One poster said the football coaches wouldn't revise the divisional tie breaker rule (which really is a wash - who is to say that Texas might benefit next year with the same rule) and another couldn't think of anything major.

Then (after 7 months on their board) they noticed my login name and started calling me a retard

Its 60min01sec

laugh2.gif

I don't want to get in a fight over this. As proud of your basketball team as you guys are, that's how proud we are of the Huskers. You know what I'm talking about, just reverse the roles and make BB the topic.

There are only two schools I'd miss from the Big 12 if we left. Oklahoma, obviously, but we all know that ship sailed 15 years ago anyway. The other is Kansas, because despite how this conversation has turned out, I have a soft spot for Kansas. I am actually somewhat glad that Kansas is the team that scored the most points against us. Better a team that we can consider a brother than Texas Tech, or Texas.

I have no rancor for Kansas and I truly feel sorry for the school in its current situation. But I also firmly believe that Kansas will land on its feet. You guys aren't chopped liver.