Welcome! Some Big Ten Facts of LIfe

I live in Mi. (unfortunely) and I would have to say that scUM is definately the sCUm of the Big 10. U of M fans can't possibly be more arragant and still haven't gotten over not being able to play us back in 97. Of course according to their delusional thinking they would have won that game. We here in Husker Nation know better :horns2 !!! :)

It's so interesting that the same two descriptive terms always follow a vast majority of that fan base. :lol:

All in good fun Bro ;) I for one am happy as H$LL to be joining you guys and the Big whatever we will be called.

Some Big Ten Facts of Life

AP top ten final rankings for 2009

1 Alabama (60) 14-0 1,500 1

2 Texas 13-1 1,399 2

3 Florida 13-1 1,370 5

4 Boise State 14-0 1,366 6

5 Ohio State 11-2 1,224 8

6 TCU 12-1 1,163 3

7 Iowa 11-2 1,126 10

8 Cincinnati 12-1 1,060 4

9 Penn State 11-2 1,016 11

10 Virginia Tech 10-3 953 12

Just catching up reading through this thread. Two quick thoughts:

1. Minnesota invented vitamin A and C? Did God at least get co-author status on that research report?

2. Speaking of the TV show Coach, I seem to remember from the intro that they had a football with Minnesota St. beating Nebraska St. Finally, we get payback.

I live in Mi. (unfortunely) and I would have to say that scUM is definately the sCUm of the Big 10. U of M fans can't possibly be more arragant and still haven't gotten over not being able to play us back in 97. Of course according to their delusional thinking they would have won that game. We here in Husker Nation know better :horns2 !!! :)

It's so interesting that the same two descriptive terms always follow a vast majority of that fan base. :lol:

All in good fun Bro ;) I for one am happy as H$LL to be joining you guys and the Big whatever we will be called.

Oh I know, besides there isn't much we can say right now.

Your argument is that because someone or some group in the midwest watches teams within their conference instead of some potential national marquee match-up THAT the fanbase as a whole "put regional mediocrity ahead of excellence."?

Yeah, I guess I am. As a whole? Maybe I could be talked into dialing that down a bit. But only a bit(again, from what I've seen in two decades).

If this is the case; then I have news for you: Most regional TV Sets (public and private) carry regional games. According to your logic, when UCLA is on TV against Washington State in Oregon, I am supposed to presume that it's because the Pac Ten fan base accepts mediocrity over excellence? Instead of the ever-so-slight chance that there are certain contractual agreements to get teams on the TV sets a certain number of times a year, or that national affiliates are trumping the local sets for their coverages, or any other myriad of possibilities that exist in the world of media?

Is this really what you're arguing?

What regional games are on TV due to contractual agreements is beside the point. The local/regional doormats always get their share of TV exposure.

My issue is that people actually WANT to watch that drivel, when there's a higher quality option. I didn't say it initially, but I'm not talking about one's alma mater, or team they've grown up with. If the 3 die-hard Gopher fans out there(I'm being generous) want to watch Minnesota play, good for them.

I'm talking about WANTING to watch two crappy teams, teams who's only link to the viewer is that they happen to be in the same conference, when there are better quality match-ups going on.

Not to talk for my fellow Huskers, but if Iowa St/Kansas St are playing on channel 113 and Florida/Alabama are playing on channel 115, I'm going to guess that, in Nebr. and the Big12 region overall, 115 wins overwhelmingly. My argument/opinion/repeated observation/whatever is, that's not the case in Big10 country.

Your argument is that because someone or some group in the midwest watches teams within their conference instead of some potential national marquee match-up THAT the fanbase as a whole "put regional mediocrity ahead of excellence."?

Yeah, I guess I am. As a whole? Maybe I could be talked into dialing that down a bit. But only a bit(again, from what I've seen in two decades).

If this is the case; then I have news for you: Most regional TV Sets (public and private) carry regional games. According to your logic, when UCLA is on TV against Washington State in Oregon, I am supposed to presume that it's because the Pac Ten fan base accepts mediocrity over excellence? Instead of the ever-so-slight chance that there are certain contractual agreements to get teams on the TV sets a certain number of times a year, or that national affiliates are trumping the local sets for their coverages, or any other myriad of possibilities that exist in the world of media?

What regional games are on TV due to contractual agreements is beside the point. The local/regional doormats always get their share of TV exposure.

My issue is that people actually WANT to watch that drivel, when there's a higher quality option. I didn't say it initially, but I'm not talking about one's alma mater, or team they've grown up with. If the 3 die-hard Gopher fans out there(I'm being generous) want to watch Minnesota play, good for them.

I'm talking about WANTING to watch two crappy teams, teams who's only link to the viewer is that they happen to be in the same conference, when there are better quality match-ups going on.

Not to talk for my fellow Huskers, but if Iowa St/Kansas St are playing on channel 113 and Florida/Alabama are playing on channel 115, I'm going to guess that, in Nebr. and the Big12 region overall, 115 wins overwhelmingly. My argument/opinion/repeated observation/whatever is, that's not the case in Big10 country.

So you have experienced a lack of interest in OOC games by Big Ten fans. I guess I would say that I'm not surprised. The Big Ten community tends to care more about things within the conference than outside. About whether this speaks to an acceptance of mediocrity or lack of interest in excellence, I say equine excrement. It's a difference in perspective about one's conference.

Well, if NU plays iSu or KSUcks the next week, I will at least start out watching them. I don't go out generally to watch games, I stay at home. The remote is my friend.

So you have experienced a lack of interest in OOC games by Big Ten fans. I guess I would say that I'm not surprised. The Big Ten community tends to care more about things within the conference than outside. About whether this speaks to an acceptance of mediocrity or lack of interest in excellence, I say equine excrement. It's a difference in perspective about one's conference.

Which pretty much brings us full-circle to my original myopia comment. I guess it's a half-full, half-empty thing. One person's brotherly solidarity is another's acceptance of mediocrity. TomAto tomAHto, potAto potAHto.

Such is life.......

Which pretty much brings us full-circle to my original myopia comment. I guess it's a half-full, half-empty thing. One person's brotherly solidarity is another's acceptance of mediocrity. TomAto tomAHto, potAto potAHto.

Such is life.......

And with such, I extend my apologies for your potential entrance into "mediocrity". chuckleshuffle

Yeah, exactly, its like that everywhere. Unless your team is in the hunt for a national championship the reginal/conference games are just more interesting. You can't blame people for caring more about purdue/illini or whatever over a huge game in another conference if it doesn't affect your team's standing. That's not caring more about mediocrity or whatever, that's caring about something that you are directly affected by.