UT, A&M Petition Big10 for Inclusion

TexasAg

Don't believe everything you hear out of Kansas City, folks.

It's not just KC, Mike. There's a LOT floating around Big Ten areas.

Hmmmmm....OK, point taken. But if wishes were fishes...........

One unspoken reason for no Texas in the Big 10 is that the high dollar TexasExes that travel would rather go to the coast than anywhere in the Big 10. No, it's not the deciding factor. But it counts.

This thing really needs to be put out of its misery. dedhoarse

(And I do so hope I'm right! :facepalm: )

I thought the SWC imploded because of rampant cheating and the resulting sanctions by the NCAA. I'm pretty sure Texas was one of the schools caught cheating.

IIRC every school except for Baylor had sanctions. Maybe Baylor's sole conference championship came by default?

I'm trying to dig up some info as this made me curious. Looks like Baylor, Rice, and possibly Arkansas were the only clean teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/378202-how-the-texas-longhorns-diminished-college-football-in-texas

Yea, at that point in time everyone in the SWC had something against them. The worst by far was SMU and we see where its football program is today. What happened in a nutshell to the old SWC was that the school that shall not be named bolted to the SEC. The remaining schools found that they didn't (at that time, at least) have enough eyeballs glued to TV sets to warrant a decent TV package. Hence, the joining with the next door Big 8. If anyone has a different story, I'd love to hear it.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA081405_2N_SWCmain_1ca3d21_html8522.html?showFullArticle=y

Up in the Ozarks, Arkansas officials were especially displeased. Little of what had roused SWC jealousies or ignited NCAA scrutiny could be traced to the Razorbacks. Arkansas and Rice were the only two SWC schools not to feel the sting of NCAA probation in the 1980s. Broyles was deeply concerned about the bottom line of an athletic program struggling to stay in the black.

Officials at UT and A&M, knowing they would face withering political heat if they stranded their in-state brethren in a mad dash to another conference, knew they couldn't make the first move. But Arkansas could.

"They'd say to me, 'You go first,'" Broyles recalled.

"So we went."

That's the best article I found. It also sounds as though the schools in the conference were turning in each other for cheating, but I haven't found much in the way of specifics. Considering that Arkansas wasn't hit by sanctions and that Texas nudged Arkansas out, I'm not sure you should be giving Arkansas the Voldemort treatment.

Hmmmmm....OK, point taken. But if wishes were fishes...........

One unspoken reason for no Texas in the Big 10 is that the high dollar TexasExes that travel would rather go to the coast than anywhere in the Big 10. No, it's not the deciding factor. But it counts.

This thing really needs to be put out of its misery. dedhoarse

(And I do so hope I'm right! :facepalm: )

It's not even a matter of wishes. It's a matter of playing chess to see how the game proceeds.

I don't believe it's unexpected that while Dodds thinks of the athletic department Powers considers the universal aspects of Texas. Texas is a money maker. The Big Ten Network is a money maker. Couple them together for a HUGE money maker.

Furthermore, the Big Ten is academically the superior choice for Texas. It's the next best thing to the Ivy Leagues.

I read a lengthy post this evening that spoke about Chip Brown. In essence, Chip Brown still serves a purpose. Right now, it could very well to be the mouthpiece of disinformation. Texas doesn't need to move in an expedient fashion; however, whatever moves they may or may not be making will probably be best served without public knowledge. Thus, Chip is probably being told things; however, whether they're correct or not is debatable. One key point that is just a shot in this regard is when Chip stated the Texas and the Big Ten haven't been in contact. Equine Excrement. Everyone is privy to the email from Gordan Gee that discussed the "Tech" problem, and the contact he made to Powers.

I'm not saying that what I have heard is gospel. I'm not even saying that it's got a great possibility of occurring; however, I do believe it's just as valid as anything that comes out of orangebloods (if not more so). Nobody and their brother thought that Nebraska would be the first lynchpin for the Big Ten. Yet, it's occurred. The Big Ten, in my opinion, is more guarded on their plannings and workings that media outlets tend to believe.

That's the best article I found. It also sounds as though the schools in the conference were turning in each other for cheating, but I haven't found much in the way of specifics. Considering that Arkansas wasn't hit by sanctions and that Texas nudged Arkansas out, I'm not sure you should be giving Arkansas the Voldemort treatment.

All points well taken, but I'm still not accepting that that school was "nudged" out. Frank Broyles and co. could read the financial tea leaves just as well as anyone in Austin or College Station.

But the article is completely right when it talks about slipping attendance. That was a huge problem in the final years of the SWC. And when you combine that with the coming of the bigtime TV dollars I can see what I perceive as the article's point that what happened was simply inevitable.

Thanks...I really appreciate that link.

Oh, and Muffler Dragon...Chip Brown did indeed throw out a large cowchip with that line about them not being in contact. But that doesn't blow the rest of his credibility. I'm now wondering if the Big 10 has any desire to accept all three Texas schools. That's probably what it would take to run the political traps here in Austin and make a Big 10 merger happen.

But then...what happens to OU and OSU?

Are you insinuating that life in Wisconsin is somehow "less" than a state that swelters like the devil's arse crack? My dear sir, people do come here to vacation, fish, hunt, and enjoy our friendly culture--and just try snowmobiling in Austin sometime in January. :)

OK, I was a little cold there, apologies to everyone who loves WI. :worship

And indeed, snowmobiles don't sell well in Austin in January. We're too busy standing around the barbecue pit in shorts, pounding down cold ones! :snacks:

But as for Texas getting "slapped back", please tell me which conference....for real now....wouldn't bend over backwards to have a cash machine like UT-Austin in its back pocket. Don't let your emotions rule your head when considering who might go where. The money continues to talk. When Texas hinted it might head for the Pac10, there was a good reason OU, OSU and Tech pulled up stakes. And Baylor cried as it was thrown off the bus.

The "Tech problem" for Texas is well-known. If not for that sticking-point I think Texas and ATM may have bolted a month ago to the 10. I think the 10 will make another run at circumventing the problem before Texas signs-on with the PAC. Could be some big drama yet to come.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having Texas in the 10. They add a lot of value to the con and with the considerably different group-dynamic the 10 has I think our programs would get along better.

I'm now wondering if the Big 10 has any desire to accept all three Texas schools. That's probably what it would take to run the political traps here in Austin and make a Big 10 merger happen.

There is absolutely zero chance that the Big Ten would accept Texas Tech. TT comes nowhere near the realm of merit to the CIC, which is worth much more than the television contracts to member universities, and the CIC money is much more important to us in the Big Ten then television money. I am still mystified at how few in the media get that we are an academic as well as an athletic conference-- and the money rolling in for the academic part dwarfs the amount from the athletic part, as lofty as that may be. By all accounts the Big Ten split around $220 million in television money, more than any other conference per team or overall. We also split $6 BILLION in research money for the CIC.

And yet ignorant talking heads discuss such ridiculous schools without a chance in the wind at the CIC as West Virginia. . .

The mighty Longhorns program asking to be accepted into the Big 10? But I thought everybody wanted them? I am a former native Texan and let me tell you, I want to be far far away from those a-holes. If the Big 12 stayed somewhat intact and we had the chance to beat up on them the next few years that would be great, but moving to a new conference is a new beginning. It's time to be done with them and move on to new traditions now.

Nebraska's football success is not tied to Texas being in their conference. That's pure, unsubstantiated BS. A point in fact is that NU was far more successful throughout the decades when Texas wasn't in their conference. Don't be mesmerized by the BS that Texas is the key to our success. They're a cancer to any conference they join. The Big 8 would still be alive and well if it never handed the keys to those pricks. I don't feel the least bit sorry for KU and the rest of the league leftovers either. Their vindictive attitude towards NU when the Big 12 was formed has come back to bite them right in the arse. Good riddance to the collective lot, and keep those Texas pricks out of the Big 10. Let them travel 1,500 miles to their conference games. Go suck the life out of the PAC 10. That's the PG version of how I REALLY feel.

They will suck the life out of any conference they join. Go West Big Orange, Go West.