Why was NU so attractive to the Big 10?

I ran across this little nugget while reading through some chat on an agricultural web page. I thought it might be a hoax, so I went and checked it out. The article was correct. Nebraska ranks in the bottom half of the Big 12 Conference in National University Rankings which offer a full range of undergraduate majors, master's, and doctoral degrees. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research. Here's how we rank with regards to the rest of the Big 12.

Athletic Conference Breakdown 2010: Big 12

College Name and Location U.S. News Rank Team Nickname

1 University of Texas–Austin

Austin, TX 47 Longhorns

2 Texas A&M University–College Station

College Station, TX 61 Aggies

3 University of Colorado–Boulder

Boulder, CO 77 Buffaloes

4 Baylor University

Waco, TX 80 Bears

5 Iowa State University

Ames, IA 88 Cyclones

6 University of Kansas

Lawrence, KS 96 Jayhawks

7 University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Lincoln, NE 96 Cornhuskers

8 University of Missouri

Columbia, MO 102 Tigers

9 University of Oklahoma

Norman, OK 102 Sooners

10 Kansas State University

Manhattan, KS Tier 3 Wildcats

11 Oklahoma State University

Stillwater, OK Tier 3 Cowboys

12 Texas Tech University

Lubbock, TX Tier 3 Red Raiders

All school rankings listed are within the National Universities category utilized in America's Best Colleges unless otherwise noted.

Here's a few of the quotes on that website. I think you hit the nail on the head and this is what they were alluding to with regards that it had everything to do with money and nothing to do with academics. Here are the quotes:

"Gee whiz- stop the presses. Big Ten says they want institutions that meet the "high standards" of their conference.

They want TV market and athletic brand. And money, period."

"Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Better academic institutions get screwed because the big ten wants a piece of the athletic brand and Osbourne wants the money.

Pox on the huskers."

"This whole idea of conferences cherry picking and stealing away select schools to help bolster their athletic revenues comes across to me as extremely sleazy. Institutions of higher learning - you bet. Looks like the greed they help teach goes well beyond just Wall Street bankers and large corporations."

"I guess that on the bright side it will be fun to watch Northwestern and IU whipping the crap out of da huskas regularly."

I ran across this little nugget while reading through some chat on an agricultural web page. I thought it might be a hoax, so I went and checked it out. The article was correct. Nebraska ranks in the bottom half of the Big 12 Conference in National University Rankings which offer a full range of undergraduate majors, master's, and doctoral degrees. These colleges also are committed to producing groundbreaking research. Here's how we rank with regards to the rest of the Big 12.

Athletic Conference Breakdown 2010: Big 12

College Name and Location U.S. News Rank Team Nickname

1 University of Texas–Austin

Austin, TX 47 Longhorns

2 Texas A&M University–College Station

College Station, TX 61 Aggies

3 University of Colorado–Boulder

Boulder, CO 77 Buffaloes

4 Baylor University

Waco, TX 80 Bears

5 Iowa State University

Ames, IA 88 Cyclones

6 University of Kansas

Lawrence, KS 96 Jayhawks

7 University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Lincoln, NE 96 Cornhuskers

8 University of Missouri

Columbia, MO 102 Tigers

9 University of Oklahoma

Norman, OK 102 Sooners

10 Kansas State University

Manhattan, KS Tier 3 Wildcats

11 Oklahoma State University

Stillwater, OK Tier 3 Cowboys

12 Texas Tech University

Lubbock, TX Tier 3 Red Raiders

All school rankings listed are within the National Universities category utilized in America's Best Colleges unless otherwise noted.

One quick thing....the Big 10 requires that you are a member of the AAU for membership. I have trouble seeing that Baylor is ranked #4 on that list ahead of Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska. That is ridiculous.

Members of the Association of American Universities:

BIG 12

Missouri (1908) - early talks but seem to have fallen off, TV market was the reason behind rumors

Kansas (1909) - not much of a football tradition

Nebraska (1909) - obvious on football tradition and national following

Texas (1929) - we all know the story here

Iowa State (1958) - B10 already has Iowa locked up with TV and not a traditional football power

Colorado (1966) - has always been enamored with the Pac-10, geography also an issue

Texas A&M (2001) - sounds like a package deal with UT and really wants the SEC if separated from wHorns also relatively new to the AAU scene.

BIG TEN

Michigan (1900)

Wisconsin (1900)

Illinois (1908)

Minnesota (1908)

Indiana (1909)

Iowa (1909)

Ohio State (1916)

Northwestern (1917)

Penn State (1958)

Purdue (1958)

Michigan State (1964)

and The University of Chicago makes all members of Big 10 also members of the AAU.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100528/SPORTS0201/5280425/AAU-membership-a-priority-for-Big-Ten-expansion-candidates#ixzz0qUTnlT8u

I have a hard time believing CU ranks above Baylor. ALso, how is it possible OU is rolling in money yet still be so stupid?

I have a hard time believing you have a hard time believing that. Colorado is a great school academically. Always was the class of the Big 8. I have trouble believing an school that started with a focus on Agriculture and Mechanics out ranks them.

I have a hard time believing CU ranks above Baylor. ALso, how is it possible OU is rolling in money yet still be so stupid?

I have a hard time believing you have a hard time believing that. Colorado is a great school academically. Always was the class of the Big 8. I have trouble believing an school that started with a focus on Agriculture and Mechanics out ranks them.

Outside of Warren Churchill(?) CU is very impressive in the physical sciences experimental research. They have created both the lowest and highest controlled man-made temperatures.

What are you trying to say here, a list of the schools in alphabetical order that shows averages that don't pertain to the conversation?

I'm not saying anything. It is just a link to some of the academic particulars of teams in the Big 12. I thought people would like to see the information. There are links on that page to the same information for other conferences.

From an outside POV, I believe that NU is attractive to the Big Ten because (not in order of importance):

1) Tradition.

2) Rabid, national fan base. Even though the Nebraska TV market is miniscule, the fanbase exceeds it manifold.

3) AAU institution.

4) The desire to increase research and maintain an academic focus.

5) It is a power player in the Big 12.

5a) Delaney is proving and has proven over the last few years that he is savvy. He understands how to play chess.

I'm sure there are more, but I'll stop for now.

Yes, please, let's face it...Nebraska is not a big name in most research areas. In a few, yes, but overall, we're not that great of a university when it comes to academics. There are a lot of different statistics and you can spin this type of thing many different ways, though. But in the end, the Big Ten is not inviting us because we're academically superior. However, with that said, Nebraska is making strides towards improving research and academics. From an insiders view I'll also say they are messing up in certain areas.

But yes, the move is about money for both sides. omgwtfbbq!? Yeah, sorry, but universities are big business. That's how this world works. That's just the way it is.

That doesn't mean we don't benefit, though. In fact, we benefit greatly, including the academic side.