From a Sooner

allways will remember those sooner games with switzer and osborn, ,,they were classics. things sure have changed since then, as they say , life moves on and change sometimes happens. oklahoma vs huskers are one of my favorite matchups, will miss it, even after going to the big 10...big 10 in not my farvorite conferance, but i quess i will have to live with it.

Hopefully you can convince your remaining Sooner brethren the same thing because judging by what is being said on soonerfan.com, most fans are happy with being Texas' bitch.

Like I said above,the big numbers being thrown around for that new TV deal is all smoke and mirrors. Those numbers are based on all 10 teams playing highly ranked non-conference teams at home, that means scheduling home and home series with ranked teams that will be aired on national tv. I cant see that happening with teams like Texas, Tech and KSU,that pad their record every year with patsy non-conference teams in play-for-pay games. Dont believe any of the numbers being thrown out there.

Hopefully you can convince your remaining Sooner brethren the same thing because judging by what is being said on soonerfan.com, most fans are happy with being Texas' bitch.

Like I said above,the big numbers being thrown around for that new TV deal is all smoke and mirrors. Those numbers are based on all 10 teams playing highly ranked non-conference teams at home, that means scheduling home and home series with ranked teams that will be aired on national tv. I cant see that happening with teams like Texas, Tech and KSU,that pad their record every year with patsy non-conference teams in play-for-pay games. Dont believe any of the numbers being thrown out there.

And not to mention, that deal hasn't even been sealed yet. A lot can change between now and then and I'd be willing to bet, UT is working feverishly behind the scenes to secure a more lucrative deal for themselves. Best of luck to you guys...seriously! I've been in Oklahoma several years and there seems to be a strong mutual respect for both programs and I hope that continues to be the case.

I guess I am one of those Sooner fans that sees this situation completely different. It is an extreme injustice to the league that Texas had/has so much influence on the direction of the conference and I understand completely why Nebraska bolted for the Big 10. It just so happens that Texas and Oklahoma have unified reasons for keeping the remaining Big XII schools together. Everyone knows OU had the very same options that Texas had. So, I don't see OU being Texas' bitch, although I can see why an uninformed observer could come to that conclusion.

Castiglione and Boren sat back and let Texas drive, not because OU was dependent upon Texas but because Texas had to flip flop around until they determined what they thought would be best. Castiglione and Boren knew that OU wasn't going to be staying in the Big XII if Texas decided to leave but that wasn't necessarily going to drive OU to follow Texas. If Texas decided to join A$M in the SEC, OU could have taken OSU and joined the Pac 10 and been just as happy. Personally, that is what I would have preferred to see but Texas would have never allowed OU to join the better "academic" conference! ;-)

Regardless, this Sooner fan is sad to see Nebraska leave but I do understand completely! Good luck guys!

• Fire 1

I don't think the Pac 10 had any interest in any Big-12 team other than Texas, including OU. It's not about football prowess or tradition, it's about TV markets. Their expansion to include teams that far east was only viable if they could have formed a 6 team southwest regional conference with the added eyeballs from the huge Texas TV markets. Pac-10 was willing to take 4 or 5 other teams to get Texas, but without the horns, they would have passed on everyone else.

Tom Osborne did a great job. OU and Nebraska were in the same spot, a great football program but in a smaller TV market. Osborne had the guts to stand up to Texas a find a better deal, Joe C. at OU is still on his knees in Deloss Dodds office. Good luck to you guys.

Welcome to the Board thumbsup.gif

I hope we can set up an annual OOC game

Well said on both parts and setting up an OOC game between us and OU would be awesome... What a way to keep that tie to the old Big 8 and the tradition that is the Oklahoma/Nebraska game going.

I don't think the Pac 10 had any interest in any Big-12 team other than Texas, including OU. It's not about football prowess or tradition, it's about TV markets. Their expansion to include teams that far east was only viable if they could have formed a 6 team southwest regional conference with the added eyeballs from the huge Texas TV markets. Pac-10 was willing to take 4 or 5 other teams to get Texas, but without the horns, they would have passed on everyone else.

So, can you explain why the Big 10 was interested in adding Nebraska when it's all about "TV markets?!?"

OU is just as big a TV draw as Texas everywhere outside of Texas. And even Texas fans will watch OU play, in hopes of watching them lose. To suggest Texas is the only team the Pac 10 was interested in is a bit naive.

Beebe's kids.

Or how 'bout we take the Big Twelve name with us and give them the Big Ten?

Why on earth would you give them the honor of calling themselves the Big Ten?

How about we let them call themselves 'Twaddling Ten'? Or The Cow Pie Conference"? "The Trivial Ten"?

We can come up with much more appropriate names for them if we just think a little bit.