One Silver Lining Out Of All This...

I've always hated, since its' inception, the Big 12 Championship Game between the North and the South divisions. Always wanted to have every team in the conference play each other head to head and the last team standing would be the winner...without depending on teams from the North padding their records against the likes of Baylor while teams from the South padded their records against...well, teams from the North. Really...just how indicative is it of a team like Texas or Oklahoma having a 10-2 or 11-1 record when three of those wins come against non-conference cupcakes and three come against the likes of Colorado, Iowa State and K-State? Not only does that put a nominally weak team into a "Championship" game but it also puts them into a position to play in one of the top BCS bowl games. Total asshattery that.

Now, from what I gather, the Big 12 (or 10 or 2+8 or whatever), is finally going to get down to business and put out a schedule that reduces the non-conference cupcake games to three while allowing all the teams in the conference to play head-to-head every season. No more do Missouri fans have to wonder if they could have beat Texas...they will have the opportunity to see every season. Can Kansas beat Oklahoma on a consistant basis? We finally get the opportunity to find. The new schedule will give all the remaining teams in the Big Whatever a chance to renew rivalries that were wrecked by the Big 8/Big 12 debacal while providing a great opportunity to create new rivalries because every team will be seeing each other every year...not just every three years.

When you think about it, if Missouri would have bolted to the Big 12 instead of Nebraska...the Huskers would have had the opportunity to renew college football's classic rivalry and play Oklahoma every year...just like it always should have been.

I find it extremely doubtful that this "play everyone" schedule comes to fruition. Texas lawmakers are pushing to include Houston in the Big 12, and if they succeed (and I can't imagine why Houston wouldn't want to join), you'll have to pick up another school and then you're right back where you were before.

LINK

I find it extremely doubtful that this "play everyone" schedule comes to fruition. Texas lawmakers are pushing to include Houston in the Big 12, and if they succeed (and I can't imagine why Houston wouldn't want to join), you'll have to pick up another school and then you're right back where you were before.

LINK

Back where they were before, but with one and possibly two more schools from Texas. That's what that conference really needs...more Texas schools.

LINK

Back where they were before, but with one and possibly two more schools from Texas. That's what that conference really needs...more Texas schools.

Yep. I believe they call that "one step forward, two steps back."

LINK

Yep. I believe they call that "one step forward, two steps back."

Wasn't Texass the one who initially wanted the CCG when the Big 12 was formed?

EDIT: By the way...I'm getting tired of seeing and spelling "Texass". Can't we get a smiley of a ass so it looks like "Tex moon.gif or something similar?

• Fire 5

I thought everyone voted for it except Nebraska? I agree with Cy though that it will be better having everyone play everyone rather than the championship game. Then, we won't a team like KU play a creampuff schedule and get a BCS invite over a team that beat them and represented the North in the championship game. We also won't have a NC contender get knocked out of the title game because of that championship game like what happened to Nebraska in 96' and KState in 98'.

LINK

Texas Lawmakers can't make us take Houston. The 4 Texas schools don't want us too, either (they won't say it), and the 6 non Texas schools don't have to care and therefore... Won't...

LINK

Texas Lawmakers can't make us take Houston. The 4 Texas schools don't want us too, either (they won't say it), and the 6 non Texas schools don't have to care and therefore... Won't...

we did not want baylor either...

I thought everyone voted for it except Nebraska? I agree with Cy though that it will be better having everyone play everyone rather than the championship game. Then, we won't a team like KU play a creampuff schedule and get a BCS invite over a team that beat them and represented the North in the championship game. We also won't have a NC contender get knocked out of the title game because of that championship game like what happened to Nebraska in 96' and KState in 98'.

Coaches straw vote: 12-0 AGAINST

Presidents vote: 11-1 FOR

The only two coaches I can remember ever really saying anything with regards to being against it were TO and Snyder. Nebraska was the one vote against in the Presidents vote though weren't they?

The only two coaches I can remember ever really saying anything with regards to being against it were TO and Snyder. Nebraska was the one vote against in the Presidents vote though weren't they?

Correct

LINK

we did not want baylor either...

But that was part of getting the thing done in the first place. We were going to take 4, politics dictated which 4 in that case. I am not saying the politicians can never influence, just that the dynamics for that don't exist here...