How do we scheme for UW

<_<:ahhhhhhhh

They obviously have some gaping holes if they went 5-7 in the overrated Pac-10 last year.

:yeah

seven teams didn't have a problem.. nu won't either.

Yea, NU shouldnt have a problem with Locker, if they use the same defensive scheme as they did in the Texas and VT game. Key is containing Locker keep him in the pocket, make him hestitate and look for his 3 or 4 options, eventually the oline wont be able to protect him and the pass rush will collaspe on top of Locker. Also remember schools in the Pac 10 dont play defense either. So I think NU should be able to roll up some points against UW. I expect a blow out win for the huskers.

their halfback they return is a beast...kid had more than 1,000 yards rushing his soph. year...they look to be a lot like kansas st. back in the days with ell roberson and daniel thomas...

i think if we use some zone blitz schemes along with some qb spies i think we can slow them down...

preseason guess(which are pretty much worthless) i will say we take them down 24-17

I'm guessing we'll have a similar scheme for what we did to Nick Foles in the Holiday Bowl. Foles and Locker have similar skill sets - they're both primarily pocket passers with better-than-average scrambling ability. We'll pressure the pocket but contain the run while putting a blanket over his WRs. Sarkesian will have to scheme fast, deceptive routes to get guys open, because as we told our visiting Wildcat friends prior to the Holiday Bowl, the QB is going to have three seconds, max, to get the ball out of his hands. Likely he'll have about 2-2.5 seconds. That's not very long when you've got Crick and Co. bulling your linemen into your grill.

In case you've forgotten, here's a refresher of Mr. Foles' night against the Blackshirts:

I'm guessing we'll have a similar scheme for what we did to Nick Foles in the Holiday Bowl. Foles and Locker have similar skill sets - they're both primarily pocket passers with better-than-average scrambling ability. We'll pressure the pocket but contain the run while putting a blanket over his WRs. Sarkesian will have to scheme fast, deceptive routes to get guys open, because as we told our visiting Wildcat friends prior to the Holiday Bowl, the QB is going to have three seconds, max, to get the ball out of his hands. Likely he'll have about 2-2.5 seconds. That's not very long when you've got Crick and Co. bulling your linemen into your grill.

In case you've forgotten, here's a refresher of Mr. Foles' night against the Blackshirts:

IMO Locker is much faster than foles...foles is just mobile, where as Locker actually can make some plays with his feet

IMO Locker is much faster than foles...foles is just mobile, where as Locker actually can make some plays with his feet

Have you watched Locker run? He lurches more than runs. Once he gets into the open field he's a straight-line runner with average mobility. Foles is listed at 4.85 by Scout, while Locker ran a 4.60, so we're not talking about greatly varying speeds here.

Bottom line, both Locker and Foles are going to beat you with their arms, not their feet. Frankly, I'm not worried about Locker's running. If they run the Option or any QB keepers, we'll mash him up.

I think that Locker is Brock Huard and this is 1997 all over again, maybe a little less hype for UW. My dad and I always talk about how, before Huard got hurt, either Wistrom, Jason Peter, Kelsey, or Rucker was hitting him within 3 seconds of him getting the snap. At one point, they even put a clock up to show just how fast they were getting to him! We probably won't have as good of a rush of the edge (and up the middle in Peter's case) than those guys were then, but I do think that both Pelini's have A LOT of coverages, schemes, and blitzes that have yet to be seen. Something tells me that we'll see Hagg all over the field either breaking up short-to-intermediate passes, coming in on blitzes, or helping to stuff the run. If the pass rush can be even adequate, I think that the coverage skills of our defensive backfield will be enough to shut UW down, no matter how good their QB may be.

I think that Locker is Brock Huard and this is 1997 all over again, maybe a little less hype for UW. My dad and I always talk about how, before Huard got hurt, either Wistrom, Jason Peter, Kelsey, or Rucker was hitting him within 3 seconds of him getting the snap. At one point, they even put a clock up to show just how fast they were getting to him! We probably won't have as good of a rush of the edge (and up the middle in Peter's case) than those guys were then, but I do think that both Pelini's have A LOT of coverages, schemes, and blitzes that have yet to be seen. Something tells me that we'll see Hagg all over the field either breaking up short-to-intermediate passes, coming in on blitzes, or helping to stuff the run. If the pass rush can be even adequate, I think that the coverage skills of our defensive backfield will be enough to shut UW down, no matter how good their QB may be.

Locker is much better than Huard. Huard was a statue in the pocket. Granted last year under the new head coach (Steve Sarkisian - former USC OC) Locker did not run at all unless it was a designed running play, Locker still has very good mobilty and is very dangerous. He almost beat LSU last year by himself and beat USC without a defense.

Locker is much better than Huard. Huard was a statue in the pocket. Granted last year under the new head coach (Steve Sarkisian - former USC OC) Locker did not run at all unless it was a designed running play, Locker still has very good mobilty and is very dangerous. He almost beat LSU last year by himself and beat USC without a defense.

like i said...zone blitzes are a pelini special...bring 6 guys, one from the corner spot and lock everyone else down reading the quarterback...just look at the back to back plays against clemson and the final play from arizona that kept our shutout

I'm not worried. The pelinis scheme against dual threats better than anybody in the country. See robert griffin, colt mccoy, tyrod taylor, etc etc etc.

I'm pretty sure that before Nebraska one of Pelini's faults as a DC was that his defenses actually had more trouble than usual with dual-threats.

I wouldn't say I disagree with you, but I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say they scheme better than anybody in the country in that regard.

I think Bo adapts to his available talent as good or better than anybody. In 2003, he was shooting SuperD & Ruud that creating havoc. We had a good DE too that year creating pressure...(???...can't remember his name).

Last year we didn't need to blitz much with SUH & buddies destroying Olines.

This year there's no SUH but Crick/Allen/Stein are no slouches. I look for Bo to rely on one or two heat seeking missles for the Gabbert/Locker/etc guys. Maybe one of the young buck lbs & a secondary blur.

Use the Mush Rush technique we used against Va Tech and Tyrod Taylor. Have our PESO back act as a spy on Locker. Dont let plays get outside the contain, and good open field tackling and there shouldnt be any problem handling this team.

I think Tyrod is better or at least as good as this guy, if we can contain him we should be fine with locker

I think Taylor is the faster, quicker and better runner, but Locker seems to be the much stronger passer. Locker seems to actually work through receiver progressions and spreads the ball around. Taylor seemed to always go with the first guy, open or not.