How do we scheme for UW

I was just watching some Jake Locker highlights and he is going to be tough to defend. He is extremly fast and seems to throw a pretty good ball. I am not sure what their offensive line looks like this year. But they seemed to do a good job in pass protection for him last year. I think the key will be to pressure him and make him throw on the run. We likely wont be getting any sacks on this guy. I think the key will be in getting him out of the pocket and out of rythm. Does anyone know what the surrounding cast looks like? i.e o-line, WR, and RB's.

They obviously have some gaping holes if they went 5-7 in the overrated Pac-10 last year. We will score on them, so on offense we just need to remember our fundamentals and not make stupid mistakes. Defensively, we need our DEs to keep Locker in the pocket as much as possible and get pressure up the middle with Crick and Steinkuhler. If the LBs and secondary mind their assignments, we should be able to limit big plays and force some turnovers. Pretty obvious suggestions I guess, but it certainly seems like they're a one man team.

I was just watching some Jake Locker highlights and he is going to be tough to defend. He is extremly fast and seems to throw a pretty good ball. I am not sure what their offensive line looks like this year. But they seemed to do a good job in pass protection for him last year. I think the key will be to pressure him and make him throw on the run. We likely wont be getting any sacks on this guy. I think the key will be in getting him out of the pocket and out of rythm. Does anyone know what the surrounding cast looks like? i.e o-line, WR, and RB's.

Oh yeah? that's what the Texas Offensive line thought too. Ask Colt McCoy.......

I think they return like 17 or 18 on both offense and defense.

I sure it will be exactly the same way they defended both VT and Texas last year. Both were very mobile and Colt was better in passing the Taylor. VT's line lost three seniors and we played very well against them. Texas, not sure how we got to Colt so many times but I would say Colt didn't seem to have much time setting up in the pocket. I think we will have some sacks. Blitzing Db's and LB's should be able to get him down. I say at least 2 or 3 sacks.

We didn't have to much trouble containing Tyrod Taylor, so escaping the pocket shouldn't be a huge problem. But Locker's got a much better arm. Luckily our secondary is a BUNCH OF MACHINES!!!!! :throwdabones1:

But since we're permanently installing 2 LBs, I think Bo and Co have more faith in them now than they did last year. That should help in run support.

With how good Dennard and Prince should be this year against UW's pretty impressive receivers, it should allow Gomes and crew to fly pretty free and make plays, which is basically all Gomes does, make plays.

I'm not worried. The pelinis scheme against dual threats better than anybody in the country. See robert griffin, colt mccoy, tyrod taylor, etc etc etc.

That being said the kid is a stud, and will definetly be the best qb we play all year. I still think that our toughest game will be at A&M.

The biggest problem with the UW team last year was their lack of defense. The defense could not stop anyone.

Locker still has a hard time throwing on the move and doesn't have a great pocket presense yet. Collapse the pocket and NU will have their way with Locker. Give Locker time and he will cut up a defense.

The biggest problem with the UW team last year was their lack of defense. The defense could not stop anyone.

Locker still has a hard time throwing on the move and doesn't have a great pocket presense yet. Collapse the pocket and NU will have their way with Locker. Give Locker time and he will cut up a defense.

Yeah but just about any qb could given enough time. I doubt he's going to have more than two or three steps and throw on most plays. Any more than that and he's going to eat a lot of footballs.

I will be more interested in our qb situation. Is it safe to assume Zac as the starter? If not this will be the first big road game (unless you count baylor for Cody Green) for a young qb.

I think it's pretty safe to assume Lee will be our starter. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't.

Yeah but just about any qb could given enough time. I doubt he's going to have more than two or three steps and throw on most plays. Any more than that and he's going to eat a lot of footballs.

Granted, it was near the end of the year when our defense was in fine form, but I remember many times when we didn't bring a rush. The opposing QB had a ton of time in the pocket, but everyone was covered. The national media even marveled at the quality of our coverage with incessant replays. If (and it is a big IF) our defense gets a good start this year, we might be able to do just fine without a big push up front on this guy. I'm guessing that it might be a little early to be expecting that sort of fine defensive play though.

I think they return like 17 or 18 on both offense and defense.

I sure it will be exactly the same way they defended both VT and Texas last year. Both were very mobile and Colt was better in passing the Taylor. VT's line lost three seniors and we played very well against them. Texas, not sure how we got to Colt so many times but I would say Colt didn't seem to have much time setting up in the pocket. I think we will have some sacks. Blitzing Db's and LB's should be able to get him down. I say at least 2 or 3 sacks.

Umm I think a man named Suh had just a little bit to do with that...... :throwdabones1: