The Penalty Problem

The, let us say, unfortunate penalties at the worst possible time is probably my only real complaint about Bo (Well that and doing the same fake toss the ball over the holder's head fake field goal over and over so the opponents know its coming)

You bring up a good point, huKSer, but the thing about penalties for our defense is that they only looked bad because our offense could do literally nothing. Penalties only look bad if they cost us a big opportunity that we need. Sure, the penalty against the defense late in the Big 12 CCG hurt, but if we had had any type of offense that could score touchdowns and not commit penalties, it wouldn't have mattered so much.

That's why I think the discipline and coaching gap between the offense and defense is pretty atrocious in some areas. Sometimes, it just seems like the team is being coached by two separate entities.

At least now we don't have to worry about Suh always getting penalize for tackling too hard. :LOLtartar

No kidding! That had to have happened at least 5-6 times last season. I'm going to miss those Big 12 refs. :facepalm:

Then again, I don't know much about the Big 10 refs...we should ask Jo Pa what he thinks of them.

At least now we don't have to worry about Suh always getting penalize for tackling too hard. :LOLtartar

No kidding! That had to have happened at least 5-6 times last season. I'm going to miss those Big 12 refs. :facepalm:

Then again, I don't know much about the Big 10 refs...we should ask Jo Pa what he thinks of them.

suh grabs gabbert by the sleeve and...horse collar! :ahhhhhhhh

One thing that everyone has overlooked so far is if Deloss will order more scrutiny of NU. I am sure we are going to be the most penalized team in the league this year. Also I would expect to see a couple touchdowns removed from the board due to this new excessive celebration penalty. If the refs can find a way to take something from us, they will. Just watch.

P.S. TIFWIW, but I believe refs on the take is as rampant as steriods in sports.

i also think the holding penalties may come from a lack of confidence in the players from the coaching staff...if they believe they don't have the correct talent on the o-line to do what they want they may be telling these kids to do what is needed to keep defenses out of the backfield...holding can be called on every play these days and teams are getting away with more and more, so why not have a group of kids do everything in the book to keep defenders out...just a thought <_<

I have no problem with the aggressive type penalties with the exception of a couple Asante committed which were just stupid and way late. However, I do have a big problem with the mental penalties such as false start, too many men on the field, delay of game, etc. It shouldn't matter whether the team is a great team or a poor team with regards to the mental penalties. As the staff is together longer and becomes more cohesive, I would assume the mental penalties will become fewer and farther between. By year four, we should see very few mental penalties. The delay of game penalties as well as the burning of timeouts to prevent one will more than likely depend on the experience of the QB. With the aggressive style of play Bo has implemented, I never expect us to be one of the fewest penalized teams. It would be nice to hover in that 40-50 range rather than around the 90's-100's, but I'd rather get a few penalties and stay aggressive than no penalties and play passive.

I have no problem with the aggressive type penalties with the exception of a couple Asante committed which were just stupid and way late. However, I do have a big problem with the mental penalties such as false start, too many men on the field, delay of game, etc. It shouldn't matter whether the team is a great team or a poor team with regards to the mental penalties. As the staff is together longer and becomes more cohesive, I would assume the mental penalties will become fewer and farther between. By year four, we should see very few mental penalties. The delay of game penalties as well as the burning of timeouts to prevent one will more than likely depend on the experience of the QB. With the aggressive style of play Bo has implemented, I never expect us to be one of the fewest penalized teams. It would be nice to hover in that 40-50 range rather than around the 90's-100's, but I'd rather get a few penalties and stay aggressive than no penalties and play passive.

I like this point. It kinda makes you think about our defense and penalties in a risk/reward kind of way. If a few extra penalties is the price we pay for having the best and most feared defensive unit in America, I'm all for it. :throwdabones1:

The ones that get me the most are the line penalties, holds, false starts, the occasional stupid clipping. It seems like offensive penalties have been nagging us ever since the Callahan years. Whatever the line was doing in the nineties, that's what we need to get back to at practice. When you can count on two or three holding calls per game, something's wrong.

The ones that get me the most are the line penalties, holds, false starts, the occasional stupid clipping. It seems like offensive penalties have been nagging us ever since the Callahan years. Whatever the line was doing in the nineties, that's what we need to get back to at practice. When you can count on two or three holding calls per game, something's wrong.

This is why Milt Tenopir was consulting with Pelini/Cotton/Watson earlier this year. My understanding is Milt was trying to re-emphasize OL techniques and how to apply them in practice reps in order to cut down on penalties.

This is why Milt Tenopir was consulting with Pelini/Cotton/Watson earlier this year. My understanding is Milt was trying to re-emphasize OL techniques and how to apply them in practice reps in order to cut down on penalties.

Uncle Milty is back in the fold now too?! That's the best staff news I've heard since they named Bo head coach!