Husker-Horns early kickoff???

Could Huskers-Horns kick off early?

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on July 15, 2010 at 2:13PM CST

Like most people, I've spent the past few months assuming Nebraska's Oct. 16 showdown with Texas at Memorial Stadium would be a night game on ABC.

But hold the phone. Those who love to turn left have something to say about that.

Yes, NASCAR's Sprint Cup race in Charlotte is scheduled to be shown by ABC that night at 7:30 p.m.

So if ABC were to show the Nebraska-Texas game, your options are either 11 a.m. (national broadcast) or 2:30 p.m. (regional broadcast).

So you wonder if ESPN, which is partnered with ABC, ends up showing it in primetime given the hype the game will garner.

As of now, Ohio State at Wisconsin is scheduled to be shown on ESPN or ESPN2 at 6 p.m. central. If Nebraska and Texas keep their noses clean early in the year, perhaps the suits bump OSU-Wisconsin to the Deuce and put Huskers-Horns on ESPN.

It just seems like a game that needs to be played under the lights, doesn't it? I know Nebraska has played some big-time national games at 11 a.m. before -- 1994 against Colorado (a 24-7 win) and 2000 against Oklahoma (a 31-14 loss) come quickly to mind. But night games bring a different energy. More juice in the crowd, which is surely not unrelated to the fact some fans literally have more juice in the system.

Also consider that it's hard to bring recruits in for early games. And the environment that surrounds this game figures to offer a big recruiting opportunity for Nebraska. So you can guess that those in the Husker camp would prefer this game at night for that reason alone.

Just something to think about as we edge closer to fall camp, which is now just 23 days away. Not that anyone's counting.

linky link

It will surely be the 2:30 slot. There is no way they will schedule it for the night slot when OSU/Wisc is already there and they have programming on ABC. They would be stupid from a business standpoint to lose overall viewership doubling up the marquee games of the day at the same timeslot. Last OSU game in Madison was also a night game, I assume they liked the overall feel of the game and have decided to keep it there for the future. It was a good game, although I had nosebleed seats and my brother was passed out until halftime.

They very rarely change big venue times in my recollection because there is a lot of event planning that they will disrupt.

It will surely be the 2:30 slot. There is no way they will schedule it for the night slot when OSU/Wisc is already there and they have programming on ABC. They would be stupid from a business standpoint to lose overall viewership doubling up the marquee games of the day at the same timeslot. Last OSU game in Madison was also a night game, I assume they liked the overall feel of the game and have decided to keep it there for the future. It was a good game, although I had nosebleed seats and my brother was passed out until halftime.

They very rarely change big venue times in my recollection because there is a lot of event planning that they will disrupt.

There is no way this game is being played at night. It will be a 2:30 kick you can book it now. ESPN/ABC arent bumping a game that is already been set and they surely arent going to upset those backwoods hicks that only turn left.

FSN sublicenses a certain amount of games each season to ESPN. ESPN doesn't have a Big 12 selection that day. Only ABC and FSN have selections. So the only times the game can be are FSN at 11:00, ABC at 2:30 and FSN at 6:00. It will have to be one of those slots unless some other arrangement is reached which I highly doubt FSN would do since they would love to be able to show that game.